News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

What Does An Obama Win Mean?

Started by AFK, November 06, 2008, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowdaemon

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 09, 2008, 01:59:41 PM
Troof. Slavery was really not the central issue in the Civil war, it was just the most powerful appeal to emotion that either side could come up with for the PR machines.

Exactly.

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 09, 2008, 02:01:30 PM
Hell, Lincoln was VERY explicit about stating that he thought that Negros were inferior and should not mix socially, professionally, or sexually with white folk, he just knew a huge pool of potential soldiers who would fight for cheap when he saw one.

Yeah, I'd also heard that he actually wanted to just ship all the black people back to Africa but I've not seen any proof of it(most likely because if it exists I never searched for it).
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 06, 2008, 11:37:00 PM
Prisons are for those who cannot exist without preying on others.

Murderers, rapists, thieves, and Halliburton execs. 

Potheads?  Meh.  All they do is sit on the couch, eating Cheetohs.

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 11:05:57 AM
The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Lincoln wanted them to go to Liberia:
http://www.etymonline.com/cw/lincoln.htm
Frankly, while I can see where Lincoln was coming from, I believe that people once transplanted no longer belong to the land they may have come from, but the land in which they now reside. People who focus too much on race and ancestry underestimate the power of the land in shaping its immigrants into a new tribe.

Historically, my Apache ancestors and their less migratory cousins, the Navajo, believed that a nations' history begins when it chooses a new place to settle. Therefore, although the two groups came from the same ancestors and settled the Southwest at the same time, they are two nations, because they chose different environments and different lifestyles. Monster Slayer and Child of Water; one heritage, two nations.

On the other side, my Welsh ancestors also believe that the people belong to the land they choose to live in. The land shapes us. Once here, our ancestors no longer belonged to whatever land they came from, and their new tribe became those they lived with.

I don't know enough about my African ancestry to say boo to what they believed, so who knows? Anyway, it may be just a bunch of hippie-dippy nonsense, but I think there's a lot of truth in it.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

have you read American Gods?

if not, you should.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Strangely enough, I read the exact quote by Lincoln a couple of days ago that you are all probably talking about:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."
- Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 10, 2008, 12:15:13 PM

if not, you should.

I have not, but on your advice I just ordered it and will be reading it shortly, thanks!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on November 10, 2008, 12:49:11 PM

if not, you should.

I have not, but on your advice I just ordered it and will be reading it shortly, thanks!

I second that! It's an awesome book... and I'm in it...

Also, that's a great quote Cain. Lincoln is one of the most misunderstood individuals in American culture. He and the whole Civil War, in fact.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Vene

Quote from: Kostatar on November 10, 2008, 06:32:18 PM

if not, you should.

Also, that's a great quote Cain. Lincoln is one of the most misunderstood individuals in American culture. He and the whole Civil War, in fact.
It's not surprising considering that's how the American Civil War is taught.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Vene on November 10, 2008, 06:33:35 PM
Quote from: Kostatar on November 10, 2008, 06:32:18 PM

if not, you should.

It's not surprising considering that's how the American Civil War is taught.
troof 100%
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Requia ☣

Troof. Slavery was really not the central issue in the Civil war, it was just the most powerful appeal to emotion that either side could come up with for the PR machines.

Slavery was certainly not an issue for much of the southern populace (who suffered greatly because of the economic situation it created), and was basically used to gain support in the north, but do you really believe that only the states with a slave owning elite class joining the rebellion was coincidence?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Requiem on November 13, 2008, 03:52:23 AM

Slavery was certainly not an issue for much of the southern populace (who suffered greatly because of the economic situation it created), and was basically used to gain support in the north, but do you really believe that only the states with a slave owning elite class joining the rebellion was coincidence?
Of course it wasn't coincidence.  Conflict over slavery was the reason that southern states originally seceded.  That was not, however the reason that there was war.  I think that is all that is being said here.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Iptuous on November 13, 2008, 04:01:19 AM

Of course it wasn't coincidence.  Conflict over slavery was the reason that southern states originally seceded.  That was not, however the reason that there was war.  I think that is all that is being said here.

I thought it had something to do with a tariff on manufactured goods from Mother England, which forced the South to purchase lower-quality higher-priced goods from the North.  The South tried to overturn it a couple of time, but when the North kept rejecting their efforts, the South realized that it was essentially existing for the economic benefit of the North.  They had both taxation and representation... just less representation than the northern states.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

As with most wars, there seems to be a convergence of multiple interests of varying power that lead to it.  The ecoomic impact of slavery was likely more important than the moral issue, but the latter sure looks better, both to posterity and to the English at the time, who dominated world trade and were on something of a post-Wilberforce meets economic interest crusade to rid major powers the benefits of slave labour.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Iptuous on November 13, 2008, 04:01:19 AM

That makes more sense.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 08, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
I think I can start trusting southerners when they stop referring to The Civil War as The War of Northern Aggression. 

Or how about:

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 08, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
I think I can start trusting southerners when they stop referring to The Civil War

It's been 147 years.  It's over.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah. Whats even funnier is that would be rebels think theyd win if theres another one.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS