News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

ERIS IS DEAD!

Started by Scribbly, May 12, 2006, 09:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, your test was to have him look around before we're even halfway started?

LMNO
-Wonders about you, sometimes.

Scribbly

I think this is the problem, correct me if I'm wrong...

Stuff people posting at the moment = lure.

Stuff we have seen in Ye Olde PD= for people already hooked?

So yeah, the site at the moment looks pretty far removed from what we would associate with Discordianism... 'cause we are practicing with ways to hook people, not ways to explain the philosophy to the hooked.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Wolfpoet

Seesm to me, this place doesn't give a shit about the philosophy anymore.

I'm a noob to Discordianism and you guys have manged to turn me off allot, it's only Kai-Wren's stubborness and reading the PD that keeps me in this.
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

Paladin, Iman, Rabbi and Fa Shih of the Erisian revival.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

LMNO

Apologies.  Allow me to start a new thread so we can properly discuss this.

deet

On the last page, something like "What's that word... call Kristi? Call isti? Something like that?"
All walls have two sides.

Scribbly

I like that idea  :lol:

Wolfpoet

Every time I've tried to interject philosophy, debate how i see Discordianism or say anything that goes against waht you gusy considers to be the one true faith, I get yelled down. Nothing positive for noobs, just berating and flaming.
It's not so much that we fear the Wolf that howls outside, we fear the Wolf that howls within our soul.

There are 3 sides to any conflict, winners, losers and arms dealers. Eris does a damn good deal at competitive prices.

deet

America is a under a very heavy Christian influence.
If it ain't Jesus, it ain't right.

If it's Satanism, it's morally reprehensible.
If it's Islam, it's really wrong.

If it's none of the above, holy fuck look out. You read it, you are a lunatic.

Wolfpoet

I'm not a yank.

And do you realy think throwing out the best link between theism and Discordianism is gonan do you any favours?

Present Discodianism as an atheistic anarchy, which is how religous folks WILL see it, will only recruit people already in the frame of mind to accept it.

Eris is a powerful metaphor religous folks can relate to. Throw out the Greek shit and dress her up the way i have presented it.

Eris, Archangel of Discord.

Its a joke, takes the piss out of Christianity but has christian references that could draw in the religously inclined. Then the reverse brainwashing ,that BMW so eloquently presented, can begin.

It was the Eris references that got me into this in the first place.

deet

This is going to go in circles, but this is what you'll get from any North American who has had a semi-religious upbringing.

"You said Goddess? I don't like the sound of that."

"What's an Eris? Greek goddess of what? What's Discord? You don't pray or worship her? Why do you call Eris a Goddess?"

"YOU PUT JESUS IN YUOR BOOK AND DIDNT SAY YOUR LIFE WILL TURN AROUND THE MINUTE YOU GET WATER SPLASHED ON YUOR FACE?! DIE DIE DIE BURN IN HELL HEATHEN!"

Unless it's someone who is already jaded with the religions of the day, most likely an atheist. Possibly bordering on nihilsm.

To use Eris as a metaphor, you would have to change the name, change all the history, etc. Or, write the book on it. It's Discord.

Wolfpoet

Sometimes I am REALY glad I live in a secular society.

Scribbly

I think wolfpoet pointed this out before, but...

We have a linked church/state figure in the queen.

You guys are seperate.

Over here religion is (almost) completely ignored.

Over your way religion pics presidents and has a major influence on society.

something to think about anyway.

deet

I'm a Canuck.
I have no clue if the PM has ever set foot in a church.

LMNO

Erisian philosophy/Theosophy thread started in "Principia Discussion" subforum.

Please to be having a non-shouting discussion of Erisianism (the spiritual/esoteric/mystic/almost-religious side of Discordianism*)

*My definition.

Cain

Quote from: Kai WrenEris is Dead! Long Live... what?

Seriously, what are we replacing her with?

I hear talk of a PD for 2006, about updating the book that began discordianism for the modern age, but rather than write new parables about Eris, the bitch what done it all, we are moving away from the central tenants of Discordianism and plunging headlong into a fully political movement?

What. The. Fuck?

Since when was Discordianism all about the politics? Sure, that is in there, but it certainly sounds like we are taking a small part of Discordianism and blowing it out of all proportion, updating the PD for 2006 does not mean completely recreating it, does not mean completely tearing down everything the old PD stood for in the first place.

Sure, new icons and new ideas are always good- this is Discordianism damnit, we are supposed to be all about new ideas, that doesn't mean completely destroying the old ones. Recently on another forum I have had a great discussion with a Discordian on the concept of Discordian philosophy, the meaning of the Sacred Chao, and these things will just be lost?

Fuck that.

I'm all for moving towards a darker humor, I am not all for becoming deadly serious or coming across as jaded. I am all for new ideas, maybe even throwing out the more outdated/overdone ideas such as the law of fives or 23, I am not for throwing away the entire focus as I saw it of the religion-joke-religion.

Because you people seem to have forgotten that this is what Discordianism was originally all about- making people question their beliefs by pointing out how stupid beliefs can be, how strange the universe can be, you have taken those teachings and over the years you have lost the focus, I fear that the PD for 2006 is going to portray the entire Discordian movement as nothing more or less than a fanatical political machine.

Hell, just see how you react to the newbs at the moment, Wolfpoet is a prime example, and to a lesser extent Lady Godiva. He (and she) didn't seem to fit into the jaded bunch you guys have become, so you lay into them both pretty hard, Discordianism was all about accepting new ideas, all about questioning things.

Have you questioned yourselves lately? Or have you become so secure in your own self-importance that you view yourself as Above the Newbs?

Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia.  :cry:

Right, I'm going to deal with this in an open, frank and honest fashion, for a change.

1. No-one has offered to write one about Eris yet.  However if you want to, I see no problem.  I was going to throw the Original Snub in anyway, either the normal or Esoteric Version (RAW).

2. Politics is important.  Politics impacts on society which impacts on culture which impacts on how we see the world and at the same time turns back into itself in a self-sustaining loop.  If I were an artist, I would deal with art and influence that way.  If I were a businessman, I would deal with it that way.  But I'm not.  Also politics is where the influenced and the influencers meet.  I have a tendency to aim for the head or source of problems, I think I wrote a rant on it.

3. No-one has mentioned destroying anything.  The Original PD remains.  However, chaos means change.  Holding up a book as the unchanging truth goes against the whole principle of chaos as a whole.  If the truth changes, then should not the way the truth is revealed change too?

4. Nothing wrong with the law of five, so long as you realize the second part.  Perhaps it should be put in bold or something.  its an excellent example of how we filter reality to fit preconcieved patterns, in effect self-fulfilling prophecies.

5.  Uh, you may want to check some of the writing that has been done.  It is about setting yourself free.  The black prison etc...in fact, LMNO drew up a whole list of things in a thread somewhere, which were more or less agreed on.  You may want to look at that too.

6. PD.com has always been rough.  Hell, Roger can't even get FC to troll us here and he's tried.