News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Ethical Question (minor)

Started by LMNO, April 06, 2010, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

If I choose to do something voluntary (that is, not vital to my existence) that makes a person I care about feel guilty and bad about themselves, how much responsibility do I have in causing their hurt feelings?

Also, what is the appropriate next action to be taken?

Chairman Risus

Cain

The answer can be found somewhere in here.

LMNO

Quote from: Risus on April 06, 2010, 04:54:21 PM
It depends on the context.
No context for you.

Quote from: Cain on April 06, 2010, 04:56:18 PM
The answer can be found somewhere in here.

That should be easy enough.  Thanks!

hooplala

Without more information its hard to say.

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on April 06, 2010, 04:52:46 PM
If I choose to do something voluntary (that is, not vital to my existence) that makes a person I care about feel guilty and bad about themselves, how much responsibility do I have in causing their hurt feelings?

Well, if the feelings were hurt 'because' of your actions... then you are responsible for taking the voluntary action and thus responsible for the identified 'cause' of the hurt feelings. However, you seem like a nice person who doesn't go around pissing on people... so I'd have to wonder if the hurt feelings were solely caused by your action or if there are a number of causes which taken together led to the bad feelings.

If you voluntarily betrayed someones trust, that's pretty much all on you. If your action did not intentionally betray someone, then there is surely more causal factors involved.

In straight talk: You're always responsible for your actions. You may or may not be responsible for their reactions, depending on the context of the situation.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: LMNO on April 06, 2010, 04:52:46 PM

This is impossible to properly answer without knowing the actual situation. I would say that if it's guilt they're feeling, it implies that they did something they would consider wrong, which would absolve you (to some extent) of your responsibility for what they're feeling. Then again, because you know what they are feeling and that your actions will affect these feelings you do bear some responsibility. It depends heavily on the circumstances.

I would say the appropriate action would be to discuss it candidly the person you care about.

Cain

Fuck that, Kant'll tell you if you were justified or not, and based on REASON.

Jasper

Right now I'm in a simplistic mood, so I'm going to just say that if your actions directly make someone unhappy it is not ethically sound.

Dimocritus

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

BADGE OF HONOR

I would say just do it, in my experience actions taken or not taken in order to preserve someone's feelings are often less than beneficial.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

LMNO

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 06, 2010, 06:10:08 PM
Right now I'm in a simplistic mood, so I'm going to just say that if your actions directly make someone unhappy it is not ethically sound.
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 06, 2010, 06:17:25 PM
I would say just do it, in my experience actions taken or not taken in order to preserve someone's feelings are often less than beneficial.

These are the two main points I'm vaccilating between.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 06, 2010, 06:17:25 PM

I agree with Badge. The only caveat I can think of is if you have some special relationship with the person and the actions would be directly in violation of that ie. cheating in a agreed monogamous relationship.

Self-sacrifice is for the people that follow dying gods.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson