News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

A glimmer of hope

Started by Cainad (dec.), December 22, 2012, 08:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

http://io9.com/5970587/new-orleans-schools-ban-creationist-curriculum-shun-texas-revisionist-textbooks

New Orleans schools ban creationist curriculum, shun Texas revisionist textbooks
Robert T. Gonzalez

QuoteSanity wins this round — at least for six schools in New Orleans. By a unanimous vote, N.O.'s Orleans Parish School Board voted on Tuesday to keep creationism out of its classrooms. Hallelujah.

"No teacher of any discipline of science shall teach any aspect of religious faith as science or in a science class," reads a measure released by the School Board earlier this week. "No teacher of any discipline of science shall teach creationism or intelligent design in classes designated as science classes."

The new policy also takes a deliberate stand against Texas's conservative revisionist curricula:

QuoteNo history textbook shall be approved which has been adjusted in accordance with the state of Texas revisionist guidelines nor shall any science textbook be approved which presents creationism or intelligent design as science or scientific theories.

"The conservative elements in the state have gotten stronger and stronger and more and more religious and farther to the right. I think it behooves us to take these steps to protect our kids' educational futures," said School Board Presdient Thomas Robichaux.

"To teach anything but scientific theory in a science class is just wrong for our kids. The Louisiana Science Education Act [enacted in 2008, the law has been described as "anti-science" by a veritable truck load of scientific organizations, and is responsible for shit like this being taught in science classes] is a direct attack on our children's future and this is a direct defense to that."

It's like Bill Nye says: creationism is not appropriate for children.

Reginald Ret

Very very very cool.
Good luck to them and i hope many follow their example.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

What's awesome is that means they're getting rid of the "Thomas Jefferson out, John Calvin in" bullshit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

It's really fucked up, but Hurricane Katrina might have had a really positive effect on New Orleans schools.  Before the hurricane, they were among the worst in the nation.  What the devastation allowed is an overhaul of the whole thing, attracting a lot of new talent and funding.  It's still early but they could serve as a model in the future for big city schools.  Hopefully turning away from the Texas textbook bullshit can be seen as that for a lot of other areas.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fucking hell I hope other cities see them as an example.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 25, 2012, 03:36:17 AM
What's awesome is that means they're getting rid of the "Thomas Jefferson out, John Calvin in" bullshit.

Exactly my thoughts. Like others ITT, I really hope others follow the example.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 25, 2012, 03:44:25 AM
It's really fucked up, but Hurricane Katrina might have had a really positive effect on New Orleans schools.  Before the hurricane, they were among the worst in the nation.  What the devastation allowed is an overhaul of the whole thing, attracting a lot of new talent and funding.  It's still early but they could serve as a model in the future for big city schools.  Hopefully turning away from the Texas textbook bullshit can be seen as that for a lot of other areas.

Well, another thing is this:  the locals got a taste of what "conservativism" means when things go wrong.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't even have a thought on that basis

Because my city doesn't allow it

Too busy beating up black college kids.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 26, 2012, 01:53:59 AM

Well, another thing is this:  the locals got a taste of what "conservativism" means when things go wrong.

YEP

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on December 26, 2012, 08:02:37 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 26, 2012, 01:53:59 AM

YEP

The hilariously incorrect operating instructions the average teabagger runs on states that government services will in fact still exist...For White people. 

Not the case.