News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

slightly confused

Started by roy howard, June 18, 2015, 10:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roy howard

Dear friends,

Months ago I joined this forum along with others on facebook. I'm slightly perplexed. It seems to me that many take discordianism quite seriously. Can someone help me understand exactly why that is?I'm obviously missing the mark.I thought that humor played a great part in the belief.What is it that I'm not getting?

The Johnny

But we're extremely serious about having fun! Just look at Aneristic Illusions! Clearly this isnt your century!  :lulz:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Reginald Ret

Quote from: roy howard on June 18, 2015, 10:52:54 PM
Dear friends,

Months ago I joined this forum along with others on facebook. I'm slightly perplexed. It seems to me that many take discordianism quite seriously. Can someone help me understand exactly why that is?I'm obviously missing the mark.I thought that humor played a great part in the belief.What is it that I'm not getting?
Your humour may not be my humour.

Not all jokes cause detectable laughter.

Not all laughter is out of joy, sometimes one laughs because one wants to scream.

Could you be a bit more specific in your question?
I'm afraid I haven't followed the FB discordian crowds so I don't have the context to make correct assumptions about your thoughts.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rev Thwack

Not all jokes are recognizable as jokes by the masses.
My balls itch...

roy howard

Doktor Howl

Quote from: roy howard on June 18, 2015, 10:52:54 PM
Dear friends,

FB Discordian "humor" is basically racism, misogyny/Gay-bashing, word salad, and yet ANOTHER fucking set of pope cards.

That's YOUR discordianism, and you're fucking welcome to it.  Ours is different.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Dunno just figured they were wrong about the hot dog thing so can't see why the joke thing would be any different.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

roy howard

Hold on Doktor Howl.I'm not here to piss you off. Just here looking for a little understanding. Why so serious?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: roy howard on June 19, 2015, 04:53:49 AM
Hold on Doktor Howl.I'm not here to piss you off. Just here looking for a little understanding. Why so serious?

Serious?

No, just really, really hateful when it comes to FB discordians.
Molon Lube

roy howard

axod

It's really tragic how I forget the way levity is not the final testament to gravity.
just this

Faust

They say the secret to humour is surprise.

I would love an entirely comedy based discordian group, but facebook discorianism isn't it.

It's repetitious, and iterates through the same material over and over: attempt at shock humour, what is believed to be "ironic" misogyny or racism, the rest is light dada and random.

There are others then who think they are trolling in there, they're not very good either.

Some comedians do it well: Gilbert Gottfried can tell amazingly funny offensive jokes but it takes skill and well executed delivery.

It might seem elitist but its not really, I cant help what I find funny or don't find funny.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

axod

I agree, delivery, and moar broadly, timing.  The subject can otherwise be, well, indifferent or irrelevant to the point being made.  It's funny still how some make the wrong kind of use of that freedom, in the name of what may as well be a funeral pyre,
just this

Demolition Squid

What you're not getting is that taking something seriously has no bearing at all on finding it funny. The best comedians take their comedy extremely seriously.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

Eris is the Goddess of Confusion. 

You are confused.

I believe this is what American presidents refer to as "mission accomplished".