News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Where could you find some Carl Sagan?

Started by Richter, November 18, 2008, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Iason Ouabache

I've already got it, but :mittens: anyways.

I've also got "Billions and Billions", "Dragons of Eden", "The Fine Art of Baloney Detection", "Can We Know the Universe", "Cosmos", "The Burden of Skepticism", and "Wonder and Skepticism" if anyone wants them. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cramulus

yes, want

I'm a longtime fan of carl sagan.

Iason Ouabache

\

nurbldoff

I'm curious: do you people actually read books on the screen? Or do you go to a print shop or something? Is this really preferable to just hunting the books down in your local library/used books shop?

Not that I didn't download the books, just sayin' :)
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: nurbldoff on November 21, 2008, 12:19:35 AM
I'm curious: do you people actually read books on the screen? Or do you go to a print shop or something? Is this really preferable to just hunting the books down in your local library/used books shop?

Not that I didn't download the books, just sayin' :)
I do a lot of reading on my computer at work because I have a very boring lab job.  I'd love to have a Kindle to read my e-books on but they are still over $300.  :cry:
    \

Triple Zero

i try reading from the screen some times, but that way I usually never get very far. too much distractions going on, on the computer. plus, without a laptop, it's not really my preferable reading position. even though i read more from this screen than i read paper books, but that's all short bits.

sometimes I print a book. I could print for free at the university, but even then I usually crammed 2 or 4 pages on one sheet, double-sided. otherwise it becomes a huge pack of paper. sometimes i even bring the paper to the copy shop and have them put it in a binder for me.

and mostly, I just like having the stuff. perhaps for one day when I can afford a laptop, or a screen reader.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

addition: I would prefer having the books in HTML or some other structured format, though. As opposed to PDF, which sometimes contains the text, but are sometimes also just scans. btw for converting PDFs to text/HTML, I found a good way to do it is to mail it to yourself in GMail, and then view the PDF attachment as HTML. It leaves out any pictures, though.

The HTML Google produces is pretty straightforward qua code as well. I might even manage to write a parser for it to convert to "better" HTML (variable screen width, retaining most paragraph and heading formatting would be my goal). That way I could read the HTML on the tiny-but-not-so-tiny screen of my PDA. I read part of the Art of Memetics that way.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

fomenter

i just started reading books from a Sony 505 "merry christmas to me" and love it, and thanks to you spags and the interwebsi now have moire books to read than my life expectancy will allow
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Where could you find some Carl Sagan?

My guess would be here:

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson