News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

The Best Map

Started by LHX, January 18, 2007, 01:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJRubberducky

Doc Howl, I think what you call "jargon" in this sub-forum is a result of the main contributors having been "on the same page" for a long enough period of time that they've gotten used to each others' metaphors.

For this very reason, if you think you have an insight on how to re-phrase anything that's been posited here, I suspect it'll be welcomed.  I know at least a couple of us have the goal of actually trying to get this message out to people, so having an "outsider" perspective is a good thing(tm).  Or maybe a glossary. :D
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Cain

I like scholarship.

And abstract things. 

However, practical things are often much more....well, useful.

Doc Howl

Quote from: DJRubberducky on February 15, 2007, 10:23:51 PM
Doc Howl, I think what you call "jargon" in this sub-forum is a result of the main contributors having been "on the same page" for a long enough period of time that they've gotten used to each others' metaphors.

Well, sure.  That's what all jargon is.

Quote from: DJRubberducky on February 15, 2007, 10:23:51 PM
For this very reason, if you think you have an insight on how to re-phrase anything that's been posited here, I suspect it'll be welcomed.  I know at least a couple of us have the goal of actually trying to get this message out to people, so having an "outsider" perspective is a good thing(tm).  Or maybe a glossary. :D

No problem. :D  But first I have to figure out what people are trying to say.

GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:23:08 PM
Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:20:28 PM
one of the main themes here is to make a relationship between abstract and practical

abstract things become practical when you understand what they are

No offense, but from an outsider's point o view, exactly the opposite has occurred.

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:20:28 PM
nobody here even likes jargon

or scholarship

Nothing wrong with scholarship.  At least genuine scholarship (history and science are our friends).
good ol reliable history and science

sounds like you already got some pre-conceived ideas that you are attached to

havent you ever questioned the practicality of history and science?

genuine?
neat hell

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:30:14 PM

sounds like you already got some pre-conceived ideas that you are attached to

Yup.  It's totally impossible to function without SOME of those, and anyone who claims not to have any is either autistic or a liar.

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:30:14 PM

havent you ever questioned the practicality of history and science?

If you don't, then they are neither history nor science.  But what part of science are you most interested in questioning?  Physics?  Step off a building.  Biochemistry?  Drink cyanide.    These questions tend to answer themselves.

GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

conventional history and science fall short of explaining a lot of shit

namely ridiculously self-destructive tendencies
neat hell

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:40:38 PM
conventional history and science fall short of explaining a lot of shit

namely ridiculously self-destructive tendencies

Not really.  Those can be explained by generic adaptative syndrome, intoxication of some kind, or stupidity.  Usually stupidity.
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

if you can explain the scientific origins of stupidity, then we can close the forum
neat hell

Cain

Psychology and sociology go a long way to filling in the gaps of science and history.

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:48:15 PM
if you can explain the scientific origins of stupidity, then we can close the forum

I'll take a stab at it.

We're pack animals.  We need an alpha male to tell us what to do.  If makes more sense, evolutionarily speaking, to do what the alpha male says, than to think for ourselves.  Given a lack of instructions or bad instructions, we are unable to behave in a rational way, because we aren't wired to do so.  Independent thinking seems to be a fatal mutation.
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Cain on February 15, 2007, 10:49:50 PM
Psychology and sociology go a long way to filling in the gaps of science and history.
OFUK

we fill in the gap to explain why psychology starts wiff a S-sound
neat hell

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:50:58 PM

I'll take a stab at it.

We're pack animals.  We need an alpha male to tell us what to do.  If makes more sense, evolutionarily speaking, to do what the alpha male says, than to think for ourselves.  Given a lack of instructions or bad instructions, we are unable to behave in a rational way, because we aren't wired to do so.  Independent thinking seems to be a fatal mutation.

man

if you are willing to stick around for a couple of days, i will be more than happy to pick that apart

but if youre just gon poke and run

i aint givin it up for nothin

i need commitment
neat hell

DJRubberducky

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:52:37 PM

man

if you are willing to stick around for a couple of days, i will be more than happy to pick that apart

i need commitment

Awwww, come on!  It'll be good practice.  Pleeeeeease?  :aww:
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 10:52:37 PM
Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:50:58 PM

I'll take a stab at it.

man

i need commitment

Answer it or don't.  I cannot commit to anything.  I could get hit by a bus tomorrow.  Or I might just spend my time chasing women IRL.
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 10:55:02 PM
Or I might just spend my time chasing women IRL.
let them try to bag you
neat hell