News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

ATTN: PRAGMATISTS

Started by LMNO, February 21, 2007, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:48:19 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2007, 02:46:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:44:10 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2007, 02:39:57 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 21, 2007, 02:23:09 PM
What's the best way to deal with the Black Iron Prison?

I feel I'm missing something, here.

1. To understand the BIP, you need a sense of clarity in understanding what constitutes a bar or restraint in thinking.

2. The occult has no physical effect.  Belief in the occult is a different matter.

3. How do we, or why should we, differentiate between the occult and other strains of religion?  Barring an exceptionally rich and diverse mix of symbols, there is little difference I can see.

4. How do we understand the mechanisms by which belief can either be liberationary or reactionary?

Easy.  You want to understand religion and it's effects?  Great.  Study monkeys at worship.  Don't pretend their rituals have any more power or effect - or have any more structure - than any other ritual (which is to say, they fool only their own adherents, and have NO effect on the rest of the world, other than as expressed by their adherents).

Actually, I'm pretty interested in why sometimes passive-aggressive religions (like Christianity) can create something like Liberation Theology.  Or like I mentioned with Dr Howl, how Taoism, with its conception of wu-wei, could produce agarian resistance to Chinese central control.

If we could understand how that works, then perhaps all of this recent discussion could have a use.

And that's just great.  But trying to figure out the "underlying process" behind speaking in tongues isn't going to help gain an understanding.  THAT is what I am saying.

Oh, I agree.  I'm just trying to find a way to move the recent discussion to more fruitful grounds.

LHX

there is no connection between man and the universe ANYWHERE
neat hell

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LHX on February 21, 2007, 02:50:12 PM

Oh, do tell.  Are you gonna "connect to the universe" with Thoth tarot cards?  :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LHX

Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2007, 02:49:59 PM

1. To understand the BIP, you need a sense of clarity in understanding what constitutes a bar or restraint in thinking.

2. The occult has no physical effect.  Belief in the occult is a different matter.

3. How do we, or why should we, differentiate between the occult and other strains of religion?  Barring an exceptionally rich and diverse mix of symbols, there is little difference I can see.

4. How do we understand the mechanisms by which belief can either be liberationary or reactionary?

Easy.  You want to understand religion and it's effects?  Great.  Study monkeys at worship.  Don't pretend their rituals have any more power or effect - or have any more structure - than any other ritual (which is to say, they fool only their own adherents, and have NO effect on the rest of the world, other than as expressed by their adherents).

Actually, I'm pretty interested in why sometimes passive-aggressive religions (like Christianity) can create something like Liberation Theology.  Or like I mentioned with Dr Howl, how Taoism, with its conception of wu-wei, could produce agarian resistance to Chinese central control.

If we could understand how that works, then perhaps all of this recent discussion could have a use.

And that's just great.  But trying to figure out the "underlying process" behind speaking in tongues isn't going to help gain an understanding.  THAT is what I am saying.

Oh, I agree.  I'm just trying to find a way to move the recent discussion to more fruitful grounds.
oh itll bear fruit

theres nobody left here who has the flounce gene
so
we either sort this out or the internet implodes
neat hell

LHX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:51:15 PM

Oh, do tell.  Are you gonna "connect to the universe" with Thoth tarot cards?  :lulz:
better:

a barstool
neat hell

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on February 21, 2007, 02:49:59 PM

Too late.  I have offended the local mahdgjickque priests.

Sorry about that.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LHX on February 21, 2007, 02:51:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:51:15 PM

better:

a barstool

Only once we discover the "process" behind whacking people in the head with it.

LMNO

1.  True.
2.  True.
3.  By "differentiate", do you mean to give weight or validity to one tradition over another?  Because I would say that the symbols, if understood, can be used to affect the mental (not the physical) aspects of other people; and if unaware, can be used against me.  Apart from studying them, I see no way of understanding them and their possible mental effects.
4.  I'm unsure how to answer that.  It seems that one way to understand the mechanisms is to study the beliefs themselves, and reverse engineer.

LHX

a barstool aimed at the right spot...
neat hell

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:46:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 21, 2007, 02:44:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:40:48 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 21, 2007, 02:39:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:36:11 PM
More along the lines of:  "Be free.  If anyone tries to stop you, kick them in the Jimmy.  Don't stop other people from being free, but laugh at them when they stop themselves."

But it IS fun to blow shit up and laugh at the monkeys.  I won't deny that.

Apparently, it sounds as if us thinking about non-pragmatic things is an inhibition on your freedom.

Nope.  Please re-read the last sentence of my first paragraph.

Ah, so you appear think that us merely talking (not believing, mind you) about non-pragmatic things is hindering our freedom.

Where did I say that?  On the other hand, talking about how many Thoth tarot decks you own just sets my funny bone off.

Last sentence of first paragraph: "Don't stop other people from being free, but laugh at them when they stop themselves."  You were mocking the conversations about the occult.  Therefore, it seems you think we are stopping ourselves from being free.  

Also, as far as I recall, the topic was on the difference of symbology between two systems.

LMNO

And that's just great.  But trying to figure out the "underlying process" behind speaking in tongues isn't going to help gain an understanding.  THAT is what I am saying.

Link to us talking about speaking in tounges, or STFU.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on February 21, 2007, 02:53:10 PM
3.  By "differentiate", do you mean to give weight or validity to one tradition over another?

Look, it all comes down to this:  ALL religions are the SAME FUCKING THING.  They just apply a different name to the entity that is responsible for everything they can't or won't understand.  That's it.  That's the only fucking difference between Christianity, Islam, Bhuddism, and the other silly fucking assholes celebrating equinox or whatever the hell it is they get all dressed up (or down) for.

You don't need to waste your time figuring out each religion's little gimmicks.  The whole fucking thing is a gimmick, and the tricks that work on one religion work on them ALL, and all you have to do is change the labels.

And if you need to spend months "diagramming" it, you're already fucked before you start.

EDIT:  Never mind.  Forget I said anything.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on February 21, 2007, 02:57:46 PM
Link to us talking about speaking in tounges, or STFU.

I was using that as an example, inre: "divination".

But okay.  I'll STFU.  You can go back to spending weeks diagramming shit that doesn't exist.  :lulz:  It's a good thing BIP is really going places.

LHX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:58:07 PM
3.  By "differentiate", do you mean to give weight or validity to one tradition over another?

Look, it all comes down to this:  ALL religions are the SAME FUCKING THING.  They just apply a different name to the entity that is responsible for everything they can't or won't understand.  That's it.  That's the only fucking difference between Christianity, Islam, Bhuddism, and the other silly fucking assholes celebrating equinox or whatever the hell it is they get all dressed up (or down) for.

You don't need to waste your time figuring out each religion's little gimmicks.  The whole fucking thing is a gimmick, and the tricks that work on one religion work on them ALL, and all you have to do is change the labels.

And if you need to spend months "diagramming" it, you're already fucked before you start.

you shouldve led off with that

the diagrams are all visuals of the BIP

not any religion or other system

it seems you misread things
neat hell

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LHX on February 21, 2007, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 21, 2007, 02:58:07 PM
3.  By "differentiate", do you mean to give weight or validity to one tradition over another?

Look, it all comes down to this:  ALL religions are the SAME FUCKING THING.  They just apply a different name to the entity that is responsible for everything they can't or won't understand.  That's it.  That's the only fucking difference between Christianity, Islam, Bhuddism, and the other silly fucking assholes celebrating equinox or whatever the hell it is they get all dressed up (or down) for.

You don't need to waste your time figuring out each religion's little gimmicks.  The whole fucking thing is a gimmick, and the tricks that work on one religion work on them ALL, and all you have to do is change the labels.

you shouldve led off with that

the diagrams are all visuals of the BIP

not any religion or other system

it seems you misread things

Piss off.  Please return to talking about the underlying mechanics of phrenology, or whatever the hell it was you were discussing.

TGRR,
Is now STFUing.  Later.