News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

USA TODAY: Protests tilt views on health care bill

Started by Cainad (dec.), August 13, 2009, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

From the USA Today outside my hotel room:

Quote from: http://usatoday.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Poll%3A+Health+care+views+take+sympathetic+tilt+-+USATODAY.com&expire=&urlID=408522157&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fnews%2Fwashington%2F2009-08-12-poll-12_N.htm&partnerID=1660By Susan Page, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The raucous protests at congressional town-hall-style meetings have succeeded in fueling opposition to proposed health care bills among some Americans, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds — particularly among the independents who tend to be at the center of political debates.

In a survey of 1,000 adults taken Tuesday, 34% say demonstrations at the hometown sessions have made them more sympathetic to the protesters' views; 21% say they are less sympathetic.

Independents by 2-to-1, 35%-16%, say they are more sympathetic to the protesters now.

The findings are unwelcome news for President Obama and Democratic congressional leaders, who have scrambled to respond to the protests and in some cases even to be heard. From Pennsylvania to Texas, those who oppose plans to overhaul the health care system have asked aggressive questions and staged noisy demonstrations.

The forums have grabbed public attention: Seven in 10 respondents are following the news closely.

"No one condones the actions of those who disrupt public events," House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio said in an op-ed article published in today's USA TODAY. "But those in Washington who dismiss the frustration of the American people and call it 'manufactured' do so at their own peril."

White House adviser David Axelrod questioned the USA TODAY survey's methodology, saying those who report being more sympathetic to the protesters now were likely to have been on that side from the start. "There is a media fetish about these things," Axelrod said of the protests, "but I don't think this has changed much" when it comes to public opinion.

A study by the non-partisan Pew Research Center concluded that 59% of the airtime last week on 13 cable TV and radio talk shows were devoted to the health care debate.

In the USA TODAY Poll:

• A 57% majority of those surveyed, including six in 10 independents, say a major factor behind the protests are concerns that average citizens had well before the meetings took place; 48% say efforts by activists to create organized opposition to the health care bills are a major factor.

• There's some tolerance for loud voices: 51% say individuals making "angry attacks" on a health care bill are an example of "democracy in action" rather than "abuse of democracy."

• Some actions are seen as going too far. Six in 10 say shouting down supporters of a bill is an abuse of democracy. On that question, unlike most others, there isn't much of a partisan divide: 69% of Democrats and 58% of Republicans agree.

In Hagerstown, Md., Wednesday, nearly 1,000 people turned out for a forum held by Democratic Sen. Ben Cardin; only 440 could fit in the community-college theater. The crowd often interrupted the senator, but was generally respectful.

In State College, Pa., Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter was jeered at a forum at a Penn State conference center. The 90-minute meeting at times became a shouting match between bill backers and foes.

Contributing: The Associated Press

let me be among the first to say: FUCK :crankey:

Alright, so this is proof positive that people are swayed by blatant, sensationalist lies shouted in an angry voice.

Cainad (dec.)

Whoops... this probably belongs in Aneristic Delusions. :oops:

Richter

Huh, I find this ironic, considering past bitching over USA residents not being willing to get up and protest in a way that really made a statement.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Dimocritus

See. Protesting does make a difference. Now, let's find something worth protesting so we can make progress.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

LMNO

"progress" doesn't necessarily mean things get better.

Richter

Quote from: LMNO on August 13, 2009, 07:21:23 PM

It beats the opposite, "congres".  :p
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Dimocritus

Whatever, let's protest to make things better, then. C'mon, let's do it.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Richter on August 13, 2009, 07:23:00 PM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I was just thinking that!!

LMNO

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on August 13, 2009, 07:24:31 PM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 13, 2009, 07:23:55 PM
Quote from: Richter on August 13, 2009, 07:23:00 PM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I was just thinking that!!

Misspelled and everything?

No, I was just thinking it phonetically.

Richter

the last yatto

Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 13, 2009, 07:08:20 PM
See. Protesting does make a difference. Now, let's find something worth protesting so we can make progress.

actually it has more to do with their early response as painting the entire group as an angry mob that got people curious
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Jenne

The GOOD thing that comes out of hearing all the annoying screeching coming out of the Town Halls?  Congress finally has to LISTEN to some of its constituents.  They are so far removed from them, it's good for them to see the anger and frustration.

I don't buy that this is coming from recent political events, no matter how many of them are Lou Dobbs and Fux News watchers.  I think this is pent-up shit from years and years that never gets vented.

LMNO

I would agree, except most of the shouting I've heard and read are the MORONIC LIES that are the talking points of the wackjob right. If they were frustrated and INFORMED, even if conservative, I'd agree with you. But it's mostly, if not entirely, fearmongering-- or the result of fearmongering.

Iason Ouabache

Good thing we have a representative government that isn't easily sway by the mob mentality, right guys?

Right??

:horrormirth:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘