News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

The Cabinet of Invisible Counselors

Started by Bu🤠ns, April 02, 2012, 06:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

http://artofmanliness.com/2012/03/11/the-cabinet-of-invisible-counselors/

Have you ever had a discussion with someone who posed this question: "If you could invite any five people, living or dead, to dinner, who would they be?"

It's an interesting question to consider, but one that doesn't have to remain strictly a hypothetical.  Now, of course you can't drag the bones of history's greatest corpses to your table ("Oh dear, Teddy's hand just fell off into his soup. Awkward."). But you can enjoy a form of ongoing conversation with history's most eminent men, and it can continue far past the dessert course.

I believe that every man should create his own personal "Cabinet of Invisible Counselors"–a sort of imaginary team of mentors whom he can consult for advice and inspiration throughout his life.

Loved this article...and since PD can be considered as a mastermind group, I was curious as to what might some of your Invisible Counselors be and what you think of this technique.

Bu🤠ns

Doktor Howl

Lord Buckley
Nina Simone
Will Rogers
Mike Royko
Hank Williams, Sr
Molon Lube

Bu🤠ns

Holy shit I just read up about Mike Royko.  That guy seems pretty awesome and I'm surprised I've never heard of him considering I'm 20 minutes from his old stomping grounds.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bu☆ns on April 02, 2012, 06:59:16 PM
Holy shit I just read up about Mike Royko.  That guy seems pretty awesome and I'm surprised I've never heard of him considering I'm 20 minutes from his old stomping grounds.

I used to get the Chicago Tribune, just to read his & Bob Greene's columns.
Molon Lube

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 02, 2012, 07:01:32 PM

So, from what I gather, he pretty much took on Mayor Daley #1 and like politicians in a similar way that HST took on Nixon?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bu☆ns on April 02, 2012, 07:19:56 PM

So, from what I gather, he pretty much took on Mayor Daley #1 and like politicians in a similar way that HST took on Nixon?

Royko took on EVERYONE.  He used to make Henry Hyde go into fits of apoplexy.
Molon Lube

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 02, 2012, 07:29:29 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on April 02, 2012, 07:19:56 PM

Royko took on EVERYONE.  He used to make Henry Hyde go into fits of apoplexy.

:lulz: Well that's some damn good journalism!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It may be a good idea to limit the invisible council to the dead. I spent many years resorting to thinking "what would Ted Nelson do" -- but now that I've met the guy and have to regularly guess the contents of his head, I've discovered that I'm very inaccurate (not that the decisions I make when thinking that way are bad, but it's a little demotivating to have someone in your council who then ends up being obviously different from your mental model... with the dead, you can use an illusory model of the thought processes of the great without fear of contradiction from the source).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on April 03, 2012, 09:51:30 PM
It may be a good idea to limit the invisible council to the dead. I spent many years resorting to thinking "what would Ted Nelson do" -- but now that I've met the guy and have to regularly guess the contents of his head, I've discovered that I'm very inaccurate (not that the decisions I make when thinking that way are bad, but it's a little demotivating to have someone in your council who then ends up being obviously different from your mental model... with the dead, you can use an illusory model of the thought processes of the great without fear of contradiction from the source).

I can see that, and yeah their ideas are sort of their "distilled essence" anyway.  I'd even suggest a good fictional character might even be useful depending on the purpose.  I honestly still have NO idea who to put in my cabinet, though. 

Oysters Rockefeller

That's a pretty good one.

Lord Byron
Jack Kerouac
Teddy Roosevelt
Siddhārtha Gautama
Miles Davis

I think that combination had just enough diversity that assembling them in any manner would cause ridiculous things to occur.

I wanted to put Iggy Pop in there, but he's (technically, for now...) alive.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Bu🤠ns

Heh, I did wonder about Gautama...but then I figured I'd just get either 1. The runaround or 2. The Thunderous Silence.  That is an interesting combo though....mile davis? lol 

Salty

I was going to say Miles Davis too. Here's why:

During an interview, after growing aggravated about questions on the subject of race.
QuoteIf somebody told me I only had an hour to live, I'd spend it choking a white man. I'd do it nice and slow.

Gotta think about the rest.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.