News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Snore, ung, snore, WHAT THE FUCK?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 07, 2012, 04:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Nigel on January 10, 2012, 03:10:37 AM
Quote from: holist on January 08, 2012, 09:42:40 PM
over half the population of the earth live in cities, though mostly not cities in the european sense

I don't understand this. What does it mean? What is a "city in the European sense"?

well spotted, the single most dangling end of a string in there

you see the piece was recycled from my blog, sans the rather long analysis of the hungarian situation in particular

and when i translated it, even though i saw it wasn't particularly connected to anything, i decided to leave it in, because i think this factette is somehow strangely relevant to the present-day human predicament

it just so happens, as of a few years ago, city-dwellers now outnumber country-folk

only, when musing about the implications, it is important to keep in mind that say the average of those cities is certainly closer to Xiamen, Mexico City or Kairo than New York, London or Berlin - no sanitation, no organised, clean public transport, no stifling regulations

networks, though, digital networks!

where that gets us, i'm not quite sure
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on January 10, 2012, 04:42:52 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 10, 2012, 03:10:37 AM
Quote from: holist on January 08, 2012, 09:42:40 PM
over half the population of the earth live in cities, though mostly not cities in the european sense

I don't understand this. What does it mean? What is a "city in the European sense"?

well spotted, the single most dangling end of a string in there

you see the piece was recycled from my blog, sans the rather long analysis of the hungarian situation in particular

and when i translated it, even though i saw it wasn't particularly connected to anything, i decided to leave it in, because i think this factette is somehow strangely relevant to the present-day human predicament

it just so happens, as of a few years ago, city-dwellers now outnumber country-folk

only, when musing about the implications, it is important to keep in mind that say the average of those cities is certainly closer to Xiamen, Mexico City or Kairo than New York, London or Berlin - no sanitation, no organised, clean public transport, no stifling regulations

networks, though, digital networks!

where that gets us, i'm not quite sure

I suspect you may be making some incorrect assumptions about cities in developing nations.

Xiamen:

Mexico City:

Kairo:

They may also have rampant poverty and sprawling slums, but that has nothing to do the "European sense of city", as London has historically shown us. Those all look quite like cities in anyone's sense, especially Xiamen.

I had a feeling I knew what you were going to reference, particularly with regard to cities in China, as it seems most Westerners assume that Chinese cities are basically collections of thatched huts.

In China, the standard of living is much higher in the cities than it is in the countryside, BTW.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Nigel on January 10, 2012, 06:12:06 AM
They may also have rampant poverty and sprawling slums, but that has nothing to do the "European sense of city", as London has historically shown us. Those all look quite like cities in anyone's sense, especially Xiamen.

I had a feeling I knew what you were going to reference, particularly with regard to cities in China, as it seems most Westerners assume that Chinese cities are basically collections of thatched huts.

In China, the standard of living is much higher in the cities than it is in the countryside, BTW.

i don't get it, but if it pleases you, i stand corrected

i may even have picked the wrong cities and not given it sufficient thought

(i picked Cairo because i spent 5 weeks there hanging out and believe me it is not like a western city in a great number of respects, despite the fact that the central part has a lot of luxury apartments,

i picked Xiamen because i recently finished REAMDE ,

and i picked Mexico City because it occurred to me)

i simply wanted to say that although over 3.5 billion people are city dwellers, the majority have an experience of living in a city that is quite different to the cities of the west

of course there is one essential thing that connects practically all city-dwellers: high population density, people all around, in many if not most cities with a wild plurality of cultures within walking range

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well yeah, different cultures, different median incomes, different standards of living... but that's not what you said. Defend what you said, not what you wish you'd said. Or, be a biped and admit you were wrong.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Nigel on January 10, 2012, 08:07:53 AM
Well yeah, different cultures, different median incomes, different standards of living... but that's not what you said. Defend what you said, not what you wish you'd said. Or, be a biped and admit you were wrong.

quadru, actually

this is what i said:

"only, when musing about the implications, it is important to keep in mind that say the average of those cities is certainly closer to Xiamen, Mexico City or Kairo than New York, London or Berlin - no sanitation, no organised, clean public transport, no stifling regulations"

i was wrong, and failed to express myself clearly, for which i apologise

what i meant to say was that the average city dweller, globally speaking, does not have access to reliable sanitation or institutionalised public transport, sewerage in the European sense, his/her life is much less constrained by social organisation/regulations than in European cities

i am truly sorry but suspect you are irate with me due to homeopathy

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on January 10, 2012, 11:28:25 AM

Toldja, Nigel.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Scribbly

Quote from: Waffle Iron on January 10, 2012, 02:30:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2012, 01:55:28 PM

DUE TO HOMEOPATHY?

We need to be careful. We don't want to be judged homeophobic.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

navkat

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on January 10, 2012, 02:32:02 PM

DUE TO HOMEOPATHY?

Came here to say this.

Also: Homeopathic Personality Disorder.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: navkat on January 10, 2012, 02:38:21 PM
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on January 10, 2012, 02:32:02 PM

DUE TO HOMEOPATHY?

Came here to say this.

Also: Homeopathic Personality Disorder.

Homeo Erectus?
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

LMNO

You guys are being really unfair just because you don't understand something that holist can't explain.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 10, 2012, 02:40:12 PM
You guys are being really unfair just because you don't understand something that holist can't explain.

Frankly, I don't give a fuck about homeopathy.  I just think he's being a dick.

Everyone gets Nigeled here, even Nigel.  The difference between a primate and a human is that the human acknowledges that he was wrong.  The primate is afraid that if he admits being wrong, he loses any chance of being an alpha, and won't get to breed.

Monkey head-wiring is funny.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2012, 02:53:56 PM

Everyone gets Nigeled here, even Nigel.  The difference between a primate and a human is that the human acknowledges that he was wrong.  The primate is afraid that if he admits being wrong, he loses any chance of being an alpha, and won't get to breed.

I'm with you.  And for the record, my tongue was jammed so far into my cheek that I almost bit it off when I sneezed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 10, 2012, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2012, 02:53:56 PM

I'm with you.  And for the record, my tongue was jammed so far into my cheek that I almost bit it off when I sneezed.

Just another sarcasm-related injury for the books.  Just another laughing man turned into a statistic by his own sinuses.  Someone should do something.  I mean, you have OSHA clamping down on irresponsible crane use, and the FDA clamping down on dangerous "bulk up" supplements, but nobody does ANYTHING about people laughing until their spleen shoots out their ass.

It's just one more example of the failure of government to regulate responsibly.

LMNO