News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Redskins' Trademark Revoked!!!

Started by Roly Poly Oly-Garch, June 18, 2014, 03:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

QuoteWASHINGTON -- The U.S. Patent Office has ruled the Washington Redskins nickname is "disparaging of Native Americans'' and that the team's federal trademarks for the name must be canceled.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark

This is the second time the patent office has ruled this way. The first time was thrown out on procedural grounds, though. The upshot is if the Washington (American) football team insists on keeping their name they lose exclusive merchandising rights. The decision can be appealed but the process of appeal in administrative law is very limited (will probably never find its way to a federal court, for instance).

Be very interesting to see how much that "honorable and glorious tradition" team owner, Dan Snyder, is always crowing about will mean to him when his brand basically becomes public domain.

Also, here's the Onion's take:

QuoteWASHINGTON—Denying widespread claims that the franchise is being offensive or disrespectful, the Washington Redskins' kike owner announced Monday that he remains steadfast in his refusal to change the team's derogatory name. "The Redskins represent 81 years of great history and tradition, and it's a source of pride for our fans," said the hook-nosed kike, stressing that the team's insulting moniker is "absolutely not a racial slur by any means." "'Washington Redskins' is much more than just a name. It stands for strength, courage, and respect—the very values that are so intrinsic to Native American culture." The shifty-eyed hebe went on to assure fans that he will do "everything in his power" to preserve the team's proud heritage.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 18, 2014, 03:30:27 PM
QuoteWASHINGTON -- The U.S. Patent Office has ruled the Washington Redskins nickname is "disparaging of Native Americans'' and that the team's federal trademarks for the name must be canceled.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark

This is the second time the patent office has ruled this way. The first time was thrown out on procedural grounds, though. The upshot is if the Washington (American) football team insists on keeping their name they lose exclusive merchandising rights. The decision can be appealed but the process of appeal in administrative law is very limited (will probably never find its way to a federal court, for instance).

Be very interesting to see how much that "honorable and glorious tradition" team owner, Dan Snyder, is always crowing about will mean to him when his brand basically becomes public domain.

Also, here's the Onion's take:

QuoteWASHINGTON—Denying widespread claims that the franchise is being offensive or disrespectful, the Washington Redskins' kike owner announced Monday that he remains steadfast in his refusal to change the team's derogatory name. "The Redskins represent 81 years of great history and tradition, and it's a source of pride for our fans," said the hook-nosed kike, stressing that the team's insulting moniker is "absolutely not a racial slur by any means." "'Washington Redskins' is much more than just a name. It stands for strength, courage, and respect—the very values that are so intrinsic to Native American culture." The shifty-eyed hebe went on to assure fans that he will do "everything in his power" to preserve the team's proud heritage.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One more tiny step toward convincing white Americans that American indians are actual people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

There's ways to do this respectfully. Florida State has permission from the Seminole Nation to have the Seminoles as their mascot, AND have a Seminole portray Osceola as their "mascot" during games, which is actually more of a ceremony for anyone who has ever seen how they open football games.  Pretty sure the Chicago Blackhawks also have permission, but you're also using the name of a nation, not a pejorative.

My guess is that Cleveland Indians is next.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 18, 2014, 06:31:16 PM
One more tiny step toward convincing white Americans that American indians are actual people.

Doubt it. This was a symbolic issue. The outrage machine, however justified in this case, doesnt deal in actual change, only in ratings. The problem most American Indians face isnt sports mascots, its crippling poverty, drug addiction and a lack of healthcare. Currently reservations have an infant mortality rate double that of the rest of America. You cant tweet a problem like that away, and more importantly, theres no bad guy to feel morally superior too. The media will move on to a new target and most of America will forget that Indians even exist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on June 18, 2014, 06:48:01 PM

Doubt it. This was a symbolic issue. The outrage machine, however justified in this case, doesnt deal in actual change, only in ratings. The problem most American Indians face isnt sports mascots, its crippling poverty, drug addiction and a lack of healthcare. Currently reservations have an infant mortality rate double that of the rest of America. You cant tweet a problem like that away, and more importantly, theres no bad guy to feel morally superior too. The media will move on to a new target and most of America will forget that Indians even exist.

I probably have a better understanding of the situation than you're assuming.

Raz Tech

I'm surrounded by redskins fans right now.  Productivity has almost entirely been replaced by bitching.  And they still won't turn down the fucking smooth jazz.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 18, 2014, 07:24:10 PM

Your patience would put the Buddha to shame :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 18, 2014, 07:27:24 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 18, 2014, 07:24:10 PM

Your patience would put the Buddha to shame :lulz:

:lol:

I have lots of practice.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raz Tech on June 18, 2014, 07:25:56 PM
I'm surrounded by redskins fans right now.  Productivity has almost entirely been replaced by bitching.  And they still won't turn down the fucking smooth jazz.

I like how not being able to maintain franchise of a brazenly racist team name and mascot is somehow enough of a real problem for them to have grit in their panties over it.

Junkenstein

Those around me also thrive on organised sport and terrible radio. I feel your pain.

HORRIBLE WISDOM available on request.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 18, 2014, 07:31:21 PM

I like how not being able to maintain franchise of a brazenly racist team name and mascot is somehow enough of a real problem for them to have grit in their panties over it.

The bitching comes in peaks and valleys whenever the subject becomes brought up by the media again.

The worst part is that the way they see it, the name is acceptable because it's part of their "football tradition".
Quote from: Junkenstein on June 18, 2014, 07:33:13 PM

Those around me also thrive on organised sport and terrible radio. I feel your pain.

HORRIBLE WISDOM available on request.

I love horrible wisdom!