News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Knock It Off

Started by Cainad (dec.), October 10, 2008, 12:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

IIRC, Cainad lives in a dorm; he didn't get to pick his rooming situation. He can, though, try to change it.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Wind rider

I had a similar problem in 2nd year, but it was people outside my window who wouldn't just fuck off and go to town that kept me up (student village, all houses and my window faced onto the 'courtyard' where everyone met up before going out). If you have the time to spare, go to the gym, if you're physically tired it'll be easier to get to sleep before your dormmates start making noise, midday naps are also a good idea, especially if you have 1 hour breaks between lectures, not much time for anything else and you only really need a half hour.

Cainad (dec.)

Basically I'm surrounded by rich Long Island kids who can afford to wake-n-bake every single day (and then get stoned at night), and the not-as-rich kids who mooch off of them. I know of exactly one other student who is suffering in the same way as I am; everyone else is having a grand old time. Also, this is a very new college so there aren't any mature older students to level the playing field. And I'm not kidding--not even a little bit--when I say that someone there is going to die this winter.

My options are as follows: either I get my car there and find a cheap place nearby to stay and commute from (an affordable place in the Hamptons area, HAR HAR!), or I GTFO, skip the semester, and start over again at Stony Brook.

Thanks to everyone for sympathy/advice; I've realized that I am in a toxic situation and need to get out somehow. At the moment I'm back in Connecticut for the weekend, recovering.

Rumckle

How long have you been there? about a month right? It should start to mellow out in a few weeks I'd say, but as was pointed out this is what most dorms are like, so you'll probably just have to get used to it, or join in being one of the crazy drunks. But I do sympathise, our dorm was trashed by drunkards the yesterday, it is fucking annoying at times.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Bruno

Does this school require you to live in the dorms. I know some of them do if you are under a certain age and/or number of hours.

My apartment is cheaper than the cheapest dorms at my school.

$275/mo for 300 square feet all to myself.
Formerly something else...

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rumckle on October 12, 2008, 02:10:31 AM
How long have you been there? about a month right? It should start to mellow out in a few weeks I'd say, but as was pointed out this is what most dorms are like, so you'll probably just have to get used to it, or join in being one of the crazy drunks. But I do sympathise, our dorm was trashed by drunkards the yesterday, it is fucking annoying at times.

Thanks, but... no. This situation is intolerable, because there is literally nowhere and no way for me to get away from the all-night parties. There are less than 300 students at this school, and I have yet to find a peer group that doesn't get stupidly drunk whenever they possibly can. The opportunity to mooch off of the available substances does not make up for miserable nights. If it was only Friday and/or Saturday nights, that would be one thing. But enough of the hard partyers (a) have Fridays off and start their weekend on Thursday night, (b) have classes late enough in the afternoon that they can sleep off their hangovers, or (c) just don't give a shit, that I can't get to sleep several nights a week.

Also, the dormitory suite is absolutely squalid. People leave trash and food all over the place, even after being told by Teh Authorities to clean the fuck up.

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on October 12, 2008, 02:38:55 AM
Does this school require you to live in the dorms. I know some of them do if you are under a certain age and/or number of hours.

My apartment is cheaper than the cheapest dorms at my school.

$275/mo for 300 square feet all to myself.

That's what I'm looking for, but it being the Hamptons area... $800 was the cheapest I've found for a studio apartment.

Anyway, I know I've been cryassing a lot about my situation, on the boards and in IRC, and I'll try to reign it in, but this college well and truly sucks. It has attracted a degenerate crowd that I cannot get away from, and that never wants to do anything except drink and smoke. I don't enjoy their company all that much even when I join in, so I can't win. There's no fun to be had, and believe me, I've been trying very hard.
I should be able to report good news fairly soon, since my family and I have already resolved to do something about it.

Rumckle

Fair enough, well good luck with sorting it out.
Of course you could always fix it the old fashioned way, with a fire arm.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

East Coast Hustle

what school is this, anyway?

ECH,
sees dollar signs
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 12, 2008, 12:28:45 PM
what school is this, anyway?

ECH,
sees dollar signs

SUNY Stony Brook Southampton, on Long Island. If you can get down here, by all means, exploit these rich fucks into oblivion. Bonus points if you can get them busted for something that mommy and daddy can't have them bailed out for.