News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Sanity Soup, AKA Pixie's Jerk Chicken and Bean Soup.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, October 30, 2012, 11:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Do a roast chicken marinaded in Jerk Seasoning, serve with rice and black eyed beans,

make gravy using a vegetable stock and the chicken juices. I tend to use Vegetable OXO as the stock.

eat your roast chicken.

leftover gravy gets poured over the chicken.

Soak dried soup mix overnight, cover chicken leftovers and shove it in the fridge till tomorrow.

next day, rinse your dried soup mix with the pearl barley, lentils, split peas, normal peas and those other bits of stuff they put in that. Put that shit aside for later.

Add more pearl barley if you are a sucker for that stuff when you soak it. I didn't this time cos I like to put a fuckton in and Payne is kind of ambivalent about it.

chop carrot, onion and garlic.

pull all the easy-to grab meat off the chicken. Do this whilst singing along to the songs on your headphones, put that shit aside for later and cover.

chop some chorizo.

put olive oil and butter in the big assed pan.

fry the onion, garlic and chorizo in the butter, till the onions are nice and soft and the paprika and pr0k fat turns it all orangey lookin.

fill the pan with some water (I use boiled water from teh kettle, because I'm an impatient fuck and this shit takes long enough.)

add the carrots.

put your chicken carcass in the pan. cover with water. boil for 2 hours to make your stock. stick a lid on the fucking pan. You remember the leftover gravy you poured over the chicken? That shit is now an awesome jelly full of tasty tasty shit. pur boiling water over that shit, add it to the pan.

when your stock is stock shaped, fish out your chicken bones and strip em of their meat, add the meat you stripped to the stuff you made earlier.

get rid of the bones, you don't need that shit any more, the good shit is gone from that chicken.

add your dried soup mix stuff that you soaked, boil for an hour. If you have to go to the docs to get your head checked before you wreck yourself, just turn the heat down and go get that shit sorted out.

add your cans of black eyed beans and cannelini beans, or whatever other beans you have. Add the chicken. you can add sweetcorn if you feel like it. I didn't this time.

turn that shit down to low heat, add some yeast extract like Marmite or Vegemite or shit, this shit is your salt, and has extra B complex vitamins... It's far superior to salt health wise, and rounds out all the flavours nicely.

add some ground black pepper, a little bit of jerk BBQ sauce and some dried chilli flakes.  let it heat for about another half an hour.

sometimes I add saffron, sometimes I don't. It all depends on what seasoning I got in the kitchen and what I feel like on the day.

get some bread and butter and a couple of bowls. serve up some soup after you've washed all the dishes and crap, eat that shit.

divide up what is left over into tubs for the freezer, label that shit, freeze it once it has cooled down, for the days your head is so fucked you cannot be fucked to cook.

it's always better after the first day because the spices and flavours mingle in together and it gets spicier.

This is Sanity Soup.

East Coast Hustle

Pixie, I am impressed. You have found what actually appears to be an acceptable use for marmite. I can see that being an excellent addition to savory stocks.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Pope Pixie Pickle

heh, I just had a bowl. I tend to use Vegemite, myself. (on toast and in stocks) a teaspoon or two's worth...

This makes a 1.2kg chicken into almost a weeks worth of meals for 2, dirt fucking cheap.

I know Jerk Chicken is supposed to be a bbq or grill thing, but the roast whole chicken version I do is pretty good.

I also always use veg stock for the gravy, because using a chicken one is horrible and wrong, (I tried it once, it was disappointing.)