News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Ongoing Underrated Movie List

Started by Bu🤠ns, April 05, 2014, 03:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

I love movies.  One of my favorite kinds of movies are those hidden gems that nobody seems to know about.

So I shall begin...

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

Cemetary Man

Francesco Dellamorte (Rupert Everett) is a cemetery caretaker in a small Italian town.  Occasionally, however, the dead (called Returners) come back seven days after they're buried and the only way to send them back is via a headshot.

Things tend to take a turn when "She" comes along and Dellamorte becomes entangled in Love, Death and Existential Angst.  This is just the beginning as the movie gets increasingly more and more fucked up.

Back before this movie was available on youtube or even DVD for that matter, I hunted through the internet and found a VHS of this movie.  It was a happy day when it arrived.

Bu🤠ns

Bu🤠ns

Cast a Deadly Spell
Full Movie Here

I love this movie.  And I forgot all about it until today. In the pic above you can see the USA today's review, "Imagine Who Framed Roger Rabbit? with witches and zombies instead of toons." That's pretty damn accurate.  Harry Philip Lovecraft (Fred Ward) is a detective in a world where basically everyone uses magic.  It includes many references to H.P. Lovecraft. It's very tongue-in-cheek.  It's very much Elmore Leonard meets HP Lovecraft with a side dish of goof.

Telarus

Fuck yes. I love both of those,  Bu☆ns.

Streets of Fire also looks cool as hell.

Time Bandits belongs on here. Probably Better Off Dead, & The Last Starfighter, both of which inspired me to get into animation & computer 3d animation.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

LMNO

Liquid Sky.

I'm not sure I can explain this movie.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Telarus on April 05, 2014, 09:45:01 PM
Fuck yes. I love both of those,  Bu☆ns.

Streets of Fire also looks cool as hell.

Time Bandits belongs on here. Probably Better Off Dead, & The Last Starfighter, both of which inspired me to get into animation & computer 3d animation.

Oh definitely Time  Bandits and The Last Starfighter.  Now I've seen Better Off Dead on the shelves but never actually watched it...i'll be adding that to my queue.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 06, 2014, 01:20:02 AM
Liquid Sky.

I'm not sure I can explain this movie.

Okay that just looks nuts.  Also added to the queue...and Also available on YouTube :D

LMNO

The Apple.

What if someone tried to film an homage to "Paradise Lost" in the 70s, but was too messed up on mushrooms and peyote to achieve anything resembling coherence.

Bu🤠ns

Lesson Faust
Sample Here

Jan Svankmajer's interpretation of the classic story of a man selling his soul to the devil.  It's very good and combines puppetry with stop motion animation in a very VERY artistic manner.  Check out the sample to just get a very small hint of it's insanity.  Also Brotep recommended it to me a couple years ago and it's due for a re-watch.

I couldn't find it online but if anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll dropbox it or put it on my ftp server or something.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 06, 2014, 01:56:45 AM
The Apple.

What if someone tried to film an homage to "Paradise Lost" in the 70s, but was too messed up on mushrooms and peyote to achieve anything resembling coherence.

Quote from: WikipediaThe Apple (a.k.a. Star Rock) is a 1979 musical science fiction film starring Catherine Mary Stewart and directed by Menahem Golan. It is a discoesque rock opera-styled feature, set in a futuristic 1994, dealing with themes of conformity versus rebellion and infused with Biblical allegories (namely the tale of Adam and Eve).
:lulz: okay now that just ridiculous.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Death to Smoochy is one of my favorite dark comedies despite its abysmal reputation. Every actor in it is enjoying that hell out of their roles
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on April 06, 2014, 04:48:35 AM
Death to Smoochy is one of my favorite dark comedies despite its abysmal reputation. Every actor in it is enjoying that hell out of their roles
Seconded.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Telarus

Where's Hoopla when we need him? Wasn't he doing video movie reviews for these kinda films?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on April 06, 2014, 01:46:49 PM
Where's Hoopla when we need him? Wasn't he doing video movie reviews for these kinda films?

Yes, and they're awesome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."