News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Insert snappy subject here <-

Started by Payne, November 30, 2007, 06:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

There is a tipping point in almost everything. A point where almost balanced becomes a headlong slide into fail and suck, or lulz and win (of course!) The Machine (tm) is aware of this and tries to compensate, a little prop up here, a bodge job there, trying to shore up the overall structure as quickly as possible. It has no sense of consequence, it does what needs to be done and sorts out the problems caused by it later.

Extremes are not handled well, and this symptom can be seen in the sheep huddled together for safety and security. Extremes are something people don't know how to deal with because they fear they will 'fall out' The Machine as it collapses before it can jimmy up something to hold it together. They don't call it The Machine, of course, they are likely not even aware of such a concept, or are too unwilling to give it any thought.

For myself, I don't fear falling out of The Machine. As fast as I can be tipped out of my cozy little hidey-hole deep in it's innards, I can never fall fast enough not to get caught somewhere further down. So bring a bit of extremity to The Machine. Experiment.

Being unaware of The Machine brings a discomfort of it's own. Half the fun is making little bits of it work FOR you, which is more difficult to do if you refuse to think about the processes and movements taking place around you all the time. Ever hear the one about the blind mechanic? If you see these things for what they are, you can shape them and mold them around you. Just don't get TOO comfortable, you may stop seeing them again and end up cocooned in your own little world, believeing that you are free, but wrapped in chains you made yourself and never actually DOING anything.

So press a few buttons, see what they do. Trust in your own instincts, but try to go beyond them. Floor the accelerator of your '67 Chevy and don't fall asleep behind the wheel.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Payne on November 30, 2007, 06:53:54 AM
For myself, I don't fear falling out of The Machine. As fast as I can be tipped out of my cozy little hidey-hole deep in it's innards, I can never fall fast enough not to get caught somewhere further down. So bring a bit of extremity to The Machine. Experiment.

That right thar, sir, that's some solidly good stuff!

The whole thing was jazzy, but that's a nicely put tidbit, and putting it in its own short paragraph gave it some nice oomph.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.