News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Redemption

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 10, 2013, 05:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 24, 2013, 06:12:38 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 24, 2013, 03:42:00 PM
Funny, our founding fathers knew we needed a separation of church and state, but it didn't occur to them that we also needed a separation of commerce and state.

The deregulation assholes would have a field day with that.

This is true. It needs to be a one-way separation; commerce shall not intrude upon matters of government.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Left

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 24, 2013, 07:36:49 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 24, 2013, 06:12:38 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on June 24, 2013, 03:42:00 PM
Funny, our founding fathers knew we needed a separation of church and state, but it didn't occur to them that we also needed a separation of commerce and state.

The deregulation assholes would have a field day with that.

This is true. It needs to be a one-way separation; commerce shall not intrude upon matters of government.

Public Citizen is trying to get a constitutional amendment passed to declare that corporations are not people.
I think that if change from within the system is still possible, that something like that is needed.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Junkenstein

Relevant wingnuttery:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/21/mcconnell-absurd-to-ban-corporations-from-having-same-rights-as-people/

QuoteSenate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Friday said that he opposed a constitutional amendment to ban corporations from having the same rights as people because the idea was "absurd."

QuoteFollowing the remarks, the Washington Free Beacon's Lachlan Markay asked McConnell for his thoughts on a constitutional amendment proposed by Sens. Jon Tester (D-MT) and Chris Murphy (D-CT) to clarify that corporations are not "people" and restore Congress' ability to limit corporate influence in elections."Well you have to give them some points for not hiding it," McConnell quipped. "They are uncomfortable with corporate free speech obviously.""They were not uncomfortable with corporate free speech when corporations that owned newspapers or television stations were engaging in it. They only become uncomfortable with it when the Supreme Court said, why should there be a carve out for corporations that own the media outlet and for no one else?"

The Kentucky Republican concluded: "Its an absurd proposal and it won't go anywhere."[/quote]

Pretty sure you can see the way this one is likely to go.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 24, 2013, 11:19:34 PM
Relevant wingnuttery:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/21/mcconnell-absurd-to-ban-corporations-from-having-same-rights-as-people/

QuoteSenate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Friday said that he opposed a constitutional amendment to ban corporations from having the same rights as people because the idea was "absurd."

QuoteFollowing the remarks, the Washington Free Beacon's Lachlan Markay asked McConnell for his thoughts on a constitutional amendment proposed by Sens. Jon Tester (D-MT) and Chris Murphy (D-CT) to clarify that corporations are not "people" and restore Congress' ability to limit corporate influence in elections."Well you have to give them some points for not hiding it," McConnell quipped. "They are uncomfortable with corporate free speech obviously.""They were not uncomfortable with corporate free speech when corporations that owned newspapers or television stations were engaging in it. They only become uncomfortable with it when the Supreme Court said, why should there be a carve out for corporations that own the media outlet and for no one else?"

The Kentucky Republican concluded: "Its an absurd proposal and it won't go anywhere."[/quote]

Pretty sure you can see the way this one is likely to go.

Wow.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."