News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 09, 2015, 11:28:42 PM
I feel like it's February in autumn for me.

:sad: That's not good. What's going on? Other than grad school apps?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 11:32:52 PM

Waiting on my brain to attempt to destroy me again, while debating the wisdom of staying in the reserves.

The Good Reverend Roger

I feel ya.

My life has descended into a bucket of violence and stupidity that has had a bit of an effect on me.  I don't feel like I have many friends, and I am not entirely certain I deserve the ones I do have.  I am reasonably certain that I'm not depressed, as I don't have any of the symptoms of depression other than the above.  I think instead that my mental picture of my world is accurate right now.

Which, of course, doesn't improve things one iota.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 10, 2015, 12:10:20 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 11:32:52 PM

Waiting on my brain to attempt to destroy me again, while debating the wisdom of staying in the reserves.

Well, shit. Hang in there!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 10, 2015, 01:33:03 AM
I feel ya.

My life has descended into a bucket of violence and stupidity that has had a bit of an effect on me.  I don't feel like I have many friends, and I am not entirely certain I deserve the ones I do have.  I am reasonably certain that I'm not depressed, as I don't have any of the symptoms of depression other than the above.  I think instead that my mental picture of my world is accurate right now.

Crap. :( You hang in there, too. Any word on your wife's health?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In other news, out of the blue I found out that my stepmom divorced my dad this summer. I'm just like, what the actual fuck? I realize that he's been a pain in  the ass these last few years and will continue to get worse, but can you just divorce your spouse of 25+ years when Alzheimers starts setting in?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 01:35:05 AM
I feel ya.

Last tests are Monday.  Looks like she lost weight so fast her glucophage dose was suddenly too high for her, and she bombed out.

And I'll be fine.  I always am.  I mentioned, once, the "glass hallway" effect.  My head's in there a lot, but I'm maintaining.  I need to get out of this fucking trap I've put myself in, while I'm still somewhat human.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 01:38:08 AM
In other news, out of the blue I found out that my stepmom divorced my dad this summer. I'm just like, what the actual fuck? I realize that he's been a pain in  the ass these last few years and will continue to get worse, but can you just divorce your spouse of 25+ years when Alzheimers starts setting in?

"In sickness and in health."  At least for me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Thanks for supporting me through graduate school and raising my sons! Now that your once-brilliant mind is starting to go, though, maybe you can just fuck off? Oh BTW all the property we bought together is mine. BYE!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 10, 2015, 01:38:32 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 01:35:05 AM
I feel ya.

Last tests are Monday.  Looks like she lost weight so fast her glucophage dose was suddenly too high for her, and she bombed out.

And I'll be fine.  I always am.  I mentioned, once, the "glass hallway" effect.  My head's in there a lot, but I'm maintaining.  I need to get out of this fucking trap I've put myself in, while I'm still somewhat human.

I'm glad to hear she's OK! And that you will be, too.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 01:42:59 AM
"Thanks for supporting me through graduate school and raising my sons! Now that your once-brilliant mind is starting to go, though, maybe you can just fuck off? Oh BTW all the property we bought together is mine. BYE!"

Ugh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 10, 2015, 01:39:08 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 01:38:08 AM

"In sickness and in health."  At least for me.

Yeah, what's that saying? That the end result of a successful marriage is watching your spouse die? Maybe that does suck, but I can't imagine just abandoning someone I'd spent my life with like that.

Freeky

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 09, 2015, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on October 09, 2015, 01:03:56 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on October 09, 2015, 07:35:27 AM
Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on October 09, 2015, 07:30:51 AM
Fuck you, WotC, for publishing and supporting in organized play an untenable adventure path.

Fuck.   You.

Do tell.

I'm going through Rage of Demons right now, in their Adventure League official play thing.  At 3rd level (the level we are supposed to be at this point in the adventure), we run into Demogorgon.  The actual Demogorgon.  (Demon Prince, CR 26 in case you aren't familiar with the Faerun setting).  I got hit by his thing that casts Feeble Mind on you if you fall unconcious to it.  Needless to say, I failed the save.  So now, according to the league rules for playing through Rage of Demons, I have to spend the next 26 (at least) in game days crossing some underground lake in a boat, and the DM has to make 2 random encounter roles per day because the book says so, and the league rules say you can't skip it, as a vegetable.  And then we have to find someone willing to cast Greater Rest., Heal or Wish on the cheap because we're broke (started campaign with NO GEAR, all the stuff we acquired got stolen in final encounter today) and I sure as hell can't make an Intelligence save to, ahah, save my life.  Not with Int being my dump stat.

Thanks, WotC, for hiring a shitty writer and making it harder to play through.  And this is not the only shitty thing we've run across, either.  26 miles of spider web path, a random encounter every 500 feet.  You read that correctly, MILES and FEET, respectively, with encounters like 12 giant spiders, purple worms plural, magic Chernobyl zones that force wisdom saves or gain insanity.  This adventure is complete shit, I wish it didn't have such a good story so that I don't care if there's a party wipe and no one gets to finish. 

Also, league rules for this adventure say that there's no resurrecting, even if you aren't 5th level+ and have a faction.  Fuck them in the ear.

In the last 7 sessions, ther's been 15 (no hyperbole) casualties including mine, and those are including the NPCs we have to pick up if we get killed.  My GM is fair and not one who goes around intentionally killing people because it's funny.

I don't play league, so pardon my ignorance, but can't you roll up a new guy? It has to be less trouble than this bullshit.

That's the thing, isn't it.  The adventure doesn't scale to party level.  Continuing to roll new characters, while possible, is also frowned on sort of by the league rules for this adventure but not VERBOTEN! (this is the only adventure that's this dicks about everything), and also makes it harder to get through to the end. 

My GM is letting me play the svirfneblin wererat NPC with 2 levels of Barbar.  He thinks it's fair because seriously, all the dicks.

On the plus side of all this, wererat barbarian! 

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 09:21:57 PM
I'm almost frightened by how great my life is.

I mean, it's been going really well pretty much since I started school (even with stressors like a surprise foster kid and my dog getting sick) but right now... Shit is kind of just amazing. If I get this job, they're going to try to use some funding to send me to a national neuroscience conference, and basically it seems like my ticket to grad school is written. Alty is the best person to come into my life since my kids, and everything in my life feels like it's clicking into place.

All I have to do is keep doing what I'm doing. I feel like I can handle this.

Hooray! :D