News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

What is it with all the 20-something drones?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

Have been watching kids grow up into these things the last couple of years. I think it's mostly disillusionment, pampering parents, or just out and out laziness. I know a guy in my grade (17 years) whose mom still picks out his clothes every day. I also know a lot who either don't think they're smart enough or that there's no point in trying. Then of course there are the lazy assholes who can't be bothered to do anything but smoke pot and play video games or mess around on Facebook.

Anyway, I'm still a kid, more or less, so I don't have exactly the distance to get a clear perspective. This is just what I've noticed.
Insanity we trust.

maphdet

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on May 06, 2011, 04:46:18 AM
Have been watching kids grow up into these things the last couple of years. I think it's mostly disillusionment, pampering parents, or just out and out laziness. I know a guy in my grade (17 years) whose mom still picks out his clothes every day. I also know a lot who either don't think they're smart enough or that there's no point in trying. Then of course there are the lazy assholes who can't be bothered to do anything but smoke pot and play video games or mess around on Facebook.

Anyway, I'm still a kid, more or less, so I don't have exactly the distance to get a clear perspective. This is just what I've noticed.

WHAT IN THE FUCCK---My Three Year Old Picks out her Own Clothes Every Morning---Upon Approval from me-She can wear most anything (if it is washed and cleaned).

WTF-See 17 yr old people not being able to pick out their own clothes.

FUK-

We Are All Fucked.

**throws Arms Up In The Air**
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

The Wizard

WHAT IN THE FUCCK---My Three Year Old Picks out her Own Clothes Every Morning---Upon Approval from me-She can wear most anything (if it is washed and cleaned).

FUK-

We Are All Fucked.

Yup. And he's not the only kid I know who has a similar situation.
Insanity we trust.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

I had adults choosing my clothes until i was 18.... loluniforms

maphdet

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on May 06, 2011, 05:01:33 AM

FUK-

We Are All Fucked.

Yup. And he's not the only kid I know who has a similar situation.

I wanna know why.

Why-Why are people breeding who do not nor cannot teach these adolescence peeps soon to be adults-how to be self sufficient.

Fred-Really- you had peeps choosing what you were going to wear at age 18?

No disrespect-(cause I dig you) but What The Fuck, couldn't you make your own decisions and sustain yourself at age EIGHTEEN????

I pegged you as a self sustained being.
(were you forced into this arrangement?)
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

The Wizard

No disrespect-(cause I dig you) but What The Fuck, couldn't you make your own decisions and sustain yourself at age EIGHTEEN????

I'm pretty sure Fred's talking about school uniforms.
Insanity we trust.

Don Coyote

I have little to no choice in the clothing I wear on a day to day basis.....

I am also near the end of a 4 year break from college....

Freeky

Army is different than buggering off and living in someone's basement for a year or four.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on May 06, 2011, 05:15:12 AM
Army is different than buggering off and living in someone's basement for a year or four.
The similarities are fucking  :horrormirth:

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on May 06, 2011, 05:12:35 AM

indeed. and even when we had "free clothes" days they restricted what we could wear

maphdet

Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on May 06, 2011, 05:16:54 AM
Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on May 06, 2011, 05:12:35 AM

indeed. and even when we had "free clothes" days they restricted what we could wear

Ah -School uniforms. I see now.

Clarified on my end.

Carry On.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Kurt Christ

I've seen entirely too many bright peers fail because of lack of motivation. I never really got it. Maybe it's because my parents aren't the same generation as most of my peers' (I'm a child of my dad's second marriage- my oldest half-brother is forty).
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on May 06, 2011, 02:39:23 AM
Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 01:40:55 AM
This is really important! People don't realize.

I attended a lecture a month or so ago, about childhood brain development. The lecturer expressed real sorrow at the fact that most kids just aren't raised right, and we end up with a world populated with neurotic, insecure, self-centered, dysfunctional adults.

Yeah. That last bit pretty much applies to me. I left home at 18 and have been deprogramming myself ever since.

Myself as well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on May 06, 2011, 02:44:58 AM

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 01:40:55 AM
This is really important! People don't realize.

I attended a lecture a month or so ago, about childhood brain development. The lecturer expressed real sorrow at the fact that most kids just aren't raised right, and we end up with a world populated with neurotic, insecure, self-centered, dysfunctional adults.

What were the specifics on how kids werent raised right?

In this case it was about childhood trauma and brain development, and trauma included parental abandonment, abuse, and neglect. "Abandonment" can include divorce when one parent is incapable or unwilling to parent cooperatively. "Abuse" can include a distant, overly critical, or nonresponsive parent.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."