News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Looking Back at the Upright Citizens Brigade

Started by Eater of Clowns, September 30, 2011, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Long, fantastic article focusing on the Upright Citizens Brigade, its former members, and the lasting effect it's had on comedy.  There's some truly incredible shit in here.

http://nymag.com/arts/comics/features/upright-citizens-brigade-2011-10/

Quote from: Rob HuebelThis was around the time when Amy was still on SNL, and I think Chevy wanted to get back involved with the show—trying to get to know the young guys—so he was coming around the theater. I came in, and Chevy was backstage. Just to preface it, I grew up the biggest Chevy Chase fan in the world. I knew every word to Fletch and Caddyshack. I wanted to be Chevy Chase. So we go into a little spot just off the lip of the stage, and there was a break in the conversation, so I said, "Chevy, I just want to introduce myself. I'm Rob Huebel." And he just slapped me across the face. He didn't say anything; he just looked at me for a second and belted me. It was really hard—­offensively hard.

Quote from: Horatio SanzI don't mean to sound like Sid Vicious or anything, but there are a lot of those nights I don't remember. I do remember, one night, I threw a stool at this jukebox. Kurt Cobain was playing, and I thought that he would like that. Afterward, I called [the bar] very sheepishly and was like, "Sorry. I want to pay for that jukebox." And the owner said, "Eh, don't worry about it." We pledged our undying support of his bar for life. I was given a key eventually.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

AFK

Neat.

someone needs to do something on The State.  Another great troupe that didn't get nearly enough accolades. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

I fucking loved The State.

I still find myself saying "I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT!" at every opportunity.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

I have never seen The State!

Upright Citizens Brigade was one that I grew up on, though, sneaking episodes in when I was supposed to be in bed in middle school.  The "ass pennies" sketch is still pretty fresh in my lexicon.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.