News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Intelligent Design students who get 20% of their grades from trolling..

Started by Captain Utopia, August 10, 2009, 05:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 10, 2009, 05:15:11 PM
They're finally getting it? Sounds like a recipe for escalation to me.

Thing is though, how do you wage a meme war, if you don't have a firm grasp on how ideas evolve? Just because you can design a good meme, that doesn't mean that strong memes don't evolve without individual intent. Etc, etc.

Bring it on, I say.

I think this needs to be dealt with.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 11, 2009, 12:43:33 AM
No, not to use the word "instead", I meant, instead of the word "meme".

I've been using instead of meme ever since Fred's hamster bombings.

Kai

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 10, 2009, 06:18:48 PM
We need a new word for meme that means the same thing but the general population isn't aware of.

make it whatever you want it to be. as long as you define what it means within a particular context, you can use fquwbgaz for all I care

that word was dead the day Dawkins defined it.

Quote from: NWC on August 10, 2009, 09:36:31 PM
Related: One of my girlfriend's best friends is a creationist, and today she tried explained all of her arguments to my girlfriend for believing in microevolution but not macroevolution.

Quote from: On the Origin, 1st Ed., pg 275, par. 389Laying aside the question of fertility and sterility, in all other respects there seems to be a general and close similarity in the offspring of crossed species, and of crossed varieties. If we look at species as having been specially created, and at varieties as having been produced by secondary laws, this similarity would be an astonishing fact. But it harmonizes perfectly with the view that there is no essential distinction between species and varieties.

Darwin, shooting down the arbitrary distinctions of macro and microevolution, 150 years ago. BAM!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Kai on August 11, 2009, 04:04:42 AM
We need a new word for meme that means the same thing but the general population isn't aware of.

make it whatever you want it to be. as long as you define what it means within a particular context, you can use fquwbgaz for all I care

I've just put The Selfish Gene on my reading list, it's been too long (12 years) since I read it last. I'm curious though why you say the word is dead - and I really don't recall his original definition. Is it because "meme" can be used for anything from the practice of wearing a baseball cap the wrong way around, to an entire religion?

Related: One of my girlfriend's best friends is a creationist, and today she tried explained all of her arguments to my girlfriend for believing in microevolution but not macroevolution.

Quote from: On the Origin, 1st Ed., pg 275, par. 389Laying aside the question of fertility and sterility, in all other respects there seems to be a general and close similarity in the offspring of crossed species, and of crossed varieties. If we look at species as having been specially created, and at varieties as having been produced by secondary laws, this similarity would be an astonishing fact. But it harmonizes perfectly with the view that there is no essential distinction between species and varieties.

Darwin, shooting down the arbitrary distinctions of macro and microevolution, 150 years ago. BAM!
I am really rusty on my evolutionary background (it coming in its entirety from The Selfish Gene, over a decade ago), but it seems to me that there might be a parallel between this and distinguishing between micro-memes and macro-memes?

I also don't think that vocal hatred of the word is enough of a reason to stop using it. Now, if the intent were to piss off Dawkins, then I might be up for that..

LMNO

Kai

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 11, 2009, 05:16:00 AM

I've just put The Selfish Gene on my reading list, it's been too long (12 years) since I read it last. I'm curious though why you say the word is dead - and I really don't recall his original definition. Is it because "meme" can be used for anything from the practice of wearing a baseball cap the wrong way around, to an entire religion?

Yes. Now stop using it all the time. It would be like me inserting "gene" into every sentence in places where it doesn't make sense.

I am really rusty on my evolutionary background (it coming in its entirety from The Selfish Gene, over a decade ago), but it seems to me that there might be a parallel between this and distinguishing between micro-memes and macro-memes?

I also don't think that vocal hatred of the word is enough of a reason to stop using it. Now, if the intent were to piss off Dawkins, then I might be up for that..

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

For FUCKS SAKE, quit using that word. Did you just understand what I said? Theres no real difference in the way varieties and species come about, therefore there are no arbitrary distinctions of micro and macroevolution. And please please please do not start taking that bullshit and making yet more bullshit out of it. Just stop already, you're driving me nuts.  :x
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Kai on August 11, 2009, 03:37:50 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on August 11, 2009, 05:16:00 AM

Yes. Now stop using it all the time. It would be like me inserting "gene" into every sentence in places where it doesn't make sense.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

For FUCKS SAKE, quit using that word. Did you just understand what I said? Theres no real difference in the way varieties and species come about, therefore there are no arbitrary distinctions of micro and macroevolution. And please please please do not start taking that bullshit and making yet more bullshit out of it. Just stop already, you're driving me nuts.  :x

I don't think you actually read what I wrote there. By the logic you just used, I could say "evolution" is a useless word, because "meme" is a useless word to describe "anything from the practice of wearing a baseball cap the wrong way around, to an entire religion".

LMNO

Actually, Kai said:

"No difference between micro and macro evolution."

You responded,

"Might there be a parallel between this and distinguishing between micro-memes and macro-memes?"

Your response is exactly the opposite of what Kai was saying.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on August 11, 2009, 03:54:37 PM
Actually, Kai said:

"No difference between micro and macro evolution."

You responded,

"Might there be a parallel between this and distinguishing between micro-memes and macro-memes?"

Your response is exactly the opposite of what Kai was saying.
No, I'm saying that I don't think there is a meaningful distinction between micro-memes and macro-memes. Thus Kai's objection that "meme" is useless because it can refer to wearing a baseball cap at an angle, or a religion, is invalid. Because otherwise we should throw out the word "evolution" at the same time since it refers to both species and varieties.

LMNO

Captain Utopia

If I am so retarded, it should be easy to point out just one example of it in the response I gave above.

Try it.

AFK

Evolution is a body of science that attempts to explain how life on Earth has changed, adapted, etc., over the millions of years it has existed.

It is far more involved than your crude, rough-shot summation. 

Moreover, you are over-thinking and over-analyzing concepts, memes, that in the large scheme of things, don't mean a damn thing in real, day-to-day life. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

NWC

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 11, 2009, 03:51:13 PM

I don't think [...], I [...] is [...] useless

[...]

word

no idea what this is all about btw, I didn't read any of your posts
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED