News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reginald Ret on March 14, 2015, 04:17:27 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 13, 2015, 02:26:44 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on March 13, 2015, 02:12:25 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 13, 2015, 01:32:45 PM
Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on March 13, 2015, 05:20:10 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 13, 2015, 04:45:36 AM
Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on March 13, 2015, 04:13:50 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 13, 2015, 03:25:34 AM
Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on March 13, 2015, 03:00:48 AM
Heh. Either someone reported me on Facebook or Facebook is cracking down on weird names.

I'm guessing someone reported you, because what's a weird name? Really?

Well, Bearman had to switch today, and someone else mentioned that their neighbor switched today as well. I dunno, does Caoimhin sound like a real name to you?

Depends on whether Facebook is screening real names for "American-ness".

And that's why I figured either/or. I'm annoyed either way. I've used my Irish language name for so long that it's legitimately become a part of my sense of self. And not even out of a sense of "this is Irish me" but that's what I've gone by. Seeing my name in English feels weird in that context.

I'm going to go with no, Facebook is not screening names for "American-ness" because that would get them in a raft of trouble for blatant bigotry. Someone reported you.
Facebook is not blatantly bigoted? since when?!

Maybe you can fill me in on their blatant bigotry, as it seems to have escaped my radar.
They are bigoted against boobs at least, i remember a breastfeeding issue a while ago.
Reading up on that: they say they only ban pictures that have been reported by users. So maybe the users are bigoted?
I don't know and don't really care about facebook that much. I retract my allegation for the reason that it was built on shaky grounds and I can't be bothered to defend it properly.

Well done, sir.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Staff meeting on Monday.

:fap:

This is going to be hilarious and terrible.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm reallly unmotivated today. All I really need to do is go through three sets of slides from Genetics, but I just don't feel it.

Of course, if I don't go over three today, I'll have to do six tomorrow. And that's much worse.

Bruno

Went on the state career development website and filled out all the information on my skills/degree, and took the surveys on my likes/dislikes and personality. Website conveniently cross-references all this information to find what jobs I'm most suited for. Turns out it's NOTHING

Which means, of course, that I'm an ideal candidate for homelessness... except for the fact that I'm not really an outdoors-y person. 
Formerly something else...

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 15, 2015, 12:39:57 AM
Quote from: Prince-of-Plots on March 14, 2015, 09:51:24 PM
Staff meeting on Monday.

Uh oh.

Attacked by a drunken student tonight.  Got several bruises, nothing major.  Not the point though.

Said drunken student was meant to be kicked out earlier today, due to breaking rules about blocking the smoke detector in his room while on his final warning.  Line manager reversed his decision, gave him a second final chance.

Even better - I sent an email to my line manager on the 8th asking for guidance when dealing with drunken students who are not from the college who actually employs me.  Naturally, he has not replied.

So this meeting just got more fun than anyone ever wanted.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Emo Howard on March 15, 2015, 01:14:20 AM
Went on the state career development website and filled out all the information on my skills/degree, and took the surveys on my likes/dislikes and personality. Website conveniently cross-references all this information to find what jobs I'm most suited for. Turns out it's NOTHING

Which means, of course, that I'm an ideal candidate for homelessness... except for the fact that I'm not really an outdoors-y person.

Have you ever signed on with a temp agency? Even done just to establish a work history and get into the swing of things it is quite instructive. Employment is mostly a matter of dedicating yourself and establishing a record and reputation. The rest is about being willing and able to flex to accommodate the goal. This may mean relocation if opportunity is scarce where you are.

About 3 years ago I relocated from southeastern Wisconsin to western and it's been a very difficult and rewarding experience. If you're unsure what you want to do or are suited for just do everything until you find what you like.

Best fortune to you!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 15, 2015, 12:41:05 AM
I'm reallly unmotivated today. All I really need to do is go through three sets of slides from Genetics, but I just don't feel it.

Of course, if I don't go over three today, I'll have to do six tomorrow. And that's much worse.

Have been all day too. I've got much I wish to write about, but for some reason just felt the need to relax most of the day. Hope to get on it tomorrow, but from where I'm at now even that seems like a lot. But I have to get other things done too and hope that the momentum those things carries me into doing it.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Prince-of-Plots on March 15, 2015, 02:40:27 AM
Staff meeting on Monday.

Uh oh.

Attacked by a drunken student tonight.  Got several bruises, nothing major.  Not the point though.

Said drunken student was meant to be kicked out earlier today, due to breaking rules about blocking the smoke detector in his room while on his final warning.  Line manager reversed his decision, gave him a second final chance.

Even better - I sent an email to my line manager on the 8th asking for guidance when dealing with drunken students who are not from the college who actually employs me.  Naturally, he has not replied.

Holy crap man!

Have you gotten any testimony down? The student that assaulted you is liable as is your employer if you can establish the ample negligence you've described. I'm not saying a suit is what you should do, thought you surely could, but having a few pieces of deposition worthy evidence at the meeting should get their eyes popping open and their butts puckering. This is the moment to negotiate.

The key is in not ever threatening legal action, merely demonstrate the documentation, legal knowledge, and your organized resolve. That assault is THEIR fault as much as the student.

Lex talionis good sir.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Bruno

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 15, 2015, 03:19:27 AM

Have you ever signed on with a temp agency? Even done just to establish a work history and get into the swing of things it is quite instructive. Employment is mostly a matter of dedicating yourself and establishing a record and reputation. The rest is about being willing and able to flex to accommodate the goal. This may mean relocation if opportunity is scarce where you are.

About 3 years ago I relocated from southeastern Wisconsin to western and it's been a very difficult and rewarding experience. If you're unsure what you want to do or are suited for just do everything until you find what you like.

Best fortune to you!

Thanks. I'm not too worried about finding something, I'm actually fairly employable for a lot of $12/hr jobs, but, you know, I didn't go to college to make $12/hr.

I'm still hopeful I'll get the industrial maintenance / automation job through the temp agency I applied through. There's a decent amount of work in my area and in my field, but hardly any of it is entry level. If I had 3 years experience, I'd probably be having much better luck.

I have a bachelor's in Engineering Technology (from 5 years ago), but it seems companies are more interested in experience than degrees in that field.
Formerly something else...

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Emo Howard on March 15, 2015, 03:42:39 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 15, 2015, 03:19:27 AM

Best fortune to you!

Thanks. I'm not too worried about finding something, I'm actually fairly employable for a lot of $12/hr jobs, but, you know, I didn't go to college to make $12/hr.

I'm still hopeful I'll get the industrial maintenance / automation job through the temp agency I applied through. There's a decent amount of work in my area and in my field, but hardly any of it is entry level. If I had 3 years experience, I'd probably be having much better luck.

I have a bachelor's in Engineering Technology (from 5 years ago), but it seems companies are more interested in experience than degrees in that field.

Yeah, my experience is that "experience" is misunderstood by the business world. They want to buy a whole product ready to go when hiring.  That's what they're told in all of the schools and stuff. That's just how it's done.

Few understand the importance of potential because it's inconvenient and time consuming to measure and capitalize on. One of my most fruitful jobs was as an electronic assembler that started temp to hire. There was an entry test and my excellent inspection scores were noted and I was sent to the local tech school for a 2 week course in soldering techniques. I rose quickly to repair and rework.

All well and good for me, but what I'm getting at is that having held MANY other jobs in my life this experience was singular. Usually the paperwork you submit and a certain professional demeanor are all the evidence of ability businesses tend to look for.

Please do not take this personally sir, but it is my opinion and personal experience that "lesser work" should not be overlooked while unemployed. Not only is it objectively better to have some resources on hand compared to nothing, there is also much personal and professional potential just in getting to know people as you work. You just keep hunting for other positions suitable to your ability while you work and make friends as you can.

Again I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you the best fortune.  :)

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 15, 2015, 03:36:38 AM
Staff meeting on Monday.

Uh oh.

Holy crap man!

Have you gotten any testimony down? The student that assaulted you is liable as is your employer if you can establish the ample negligence you've described. I'm not saying a suit is what you should do, thought you surely could, but having a few pieces of deposition worthy evidence at the meeting should get their eyes popping open and their butts puckering. This is the moment to negotiate.

The key is in not ever threatening legal action, merely demonstrate the documentation, legal knowledge, and your organized resolve. That assault is THEIR fault as much as the student.

Lex talionis good sir.

Don't worry, this aint my first rodeo.

Statements were made by the other member of staff and myself, and I copied emails about the issues mentioning in the previous post.

Of course threatening legal action would be stupid - I can still be dismissed at any time, for any reason  Beyond that, pursuing a criminal case requires resources that are beyond my means - most notably, time and money.

That doesn't mean I'm going to let this slide, though.  Security concerns have been raised before now, in regards to staff and drunken students.  Those concerns, thus far, have been met with silence or wilful misunderstanding.  This building is advertised as having security.  Funny, because last time I checked, neither myself nor any of my coworkers are licenced SIA personnel (I have done security work, but my licences are not valid....and it's not the work I signed up for).

axod

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 14, 2015, 01:20:34 PM
Quote from: axod on March 14, 2015, 05:57:17 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 14, 2015, 03:49:15 AM
I was going through my neuroimaging slides for this course and then I got to this one.

What does it mean? The little question mark perfectly represents my inner condition upon viewing this slide.

I think they mean that the "metrics" may be easier to calculate when the contrast is higher, as in the second picture.  Less shades of grey?

I wasn't literally asking what it means. After laughing my ass off for 20 minutes I remembered what it means (that's not it).

I just love everything about this slide.

I also have to point out that it is a TERRIBLE teaching slide. Comically bad.
Totally - it did however make me spark up some microscopy software; trying to figure out w.t.f. a 5D or "hyper" stack's purpose might be.  Well, at least it seems to render the organ of corti in color, so, I'm sure that's useful somehow. :lulz:
just this

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Prince-of-Plots on March 15, 2015, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 15, 2015, 03:36:38 AM
Staff meeting on Monday.

Uh oh.

Holy crap man!

Lex talionis good sir.

Don't worry, this aint my first rodeo.

Statements were made by the other member of staff and myself, and I copied emails about the issues mentioning in the previous post.

Of course threatening legal action would be stupid - I can still be dismissed at any time, for any reason  Beyond that, pursuing a criminal case requires resources that are beyond my means - most notably, time and money.

That doesn't mean I'm going to let this slide, though.  Security concerns have been raised before now, in regards to staff and drunken students.  Those concerns, thus far, have been met with silence or wilful misunderstanding.  This building is advertised as having security.  Funny, because last time I checked, neither myself nor any of my coworkers are licenced SIA personnel (I have done security work, but my licences are not valid....and it's not the work I signed up for).

I hope I don't come across as pedantic. I'm just writing what I think. I am inhibited enough about expression that even as I write this I feel the need to overthink in fear I will come across as a fool.

I really hope that they are smart enough to take you up on security consultation. You may not have sufficient resources to sue, but sombody's mama somewhere will. When that happens they will severely regret it. This hotel I've been observing and considering approaching the owner about is currently a similar liability time bomb.

The manager hired a couple methheads about a month ago to fill in after the VERY suspicious fire. They stole the money in the till and the security deck days later. Add to this a couple broken doors on the back end.

The hotel is entirely unsecured and the manager has been letting unknown persons stay there in defiance of the owner's explicit instructions and signage. One of my gamer friends has been running the night audit position and has kept me very well informed. Meeting the man personally set off ALL my sociopath detection senses. This guy could give my mother a run for her money as a manipulator of emotions and circumstances, but is otherwise not too bright.
All he knows is I'm the big quiet guy that picks my friend up and has had to wait for him on many occasions, some for an hour or more. He rarely calls to inform my friend that he'll be late.. again.

If there's any sure way to annoy me it's attempting to gain my sympathy when I know you're lying. This guy is nearly flawless face to face, but like many of the dim sort of socio he assumes nobody is checking up with the others.

Silence really is golden, but the look on his face if I manage to take his job will be truly priceless. I'm calling the owner tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. He needs to know what's going on and talk to my department QA about what was seen when the dryer was inspected whether he takes me up on my offer or not.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

axod

just this