News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Reply to Emo Thread

Started by Cait M. R., December 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

NotPublished

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 25, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
Go to Burning Man, eat a dick. Whatever. Seriously.

I would if I could  :sad:

@Cait M. R. - Whoa, thanks for the explanation... I hope your Christmas gets awesomer atleast :P
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Salty

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 25, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
GOATSECORE OR GTFO

You G-Cores are always bustin' up the clubs with your prolapse and lard-based lubricants.

And the music! Can you try and make some dance beats that don't sound like an overgrown labia flapping in the wind?

All I hear is flpthlplplplthflp.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on December 25, 2009, 11:20:36 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 25, 2009, 09:50:40 PM
GOATSECORE OR GTFO

You G-Cores are always bustin' up the clubs with your prolapse and lard-based lubricants.

And the music! Can you try and make some dance beats that don't sound like an overgrown labia flapping in the wind?

All I hear is flpthlplplplthflp.
:lulz: :mittens:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 25, 2009, 01:00:33 PM
Scene is, like goth and emo, two seperate but related things: a musical style and a fashion style.* Neither of these have a simple definition, or even something you could kind of force them into.

Scene fashion is primarily a mix of 80's fashion (especially glam), an offshoot of rave fashion known as "cyberkid" (a mix of the ever-popular "candy raver" style and cybergoth), and prep fashion. The only connection between scene and emo is the hair, and that's even seperated by a tendency for brightly colored styles. It doesn't really fit neatly in any category. (You could make an argument for it being a sort of neo-glam, but that's the best I got.)

Scene music. Oh boy. Where do I start? Alright... Scene music is, at its core, three genres mixed together. Post-hardcore in the vein of "screamo" (which I refer to as altcore, to distinguish it from the original early-to-mid 90's screamo which sounds NOTHING like it), late 90's alt-rock (especially pop-punk and powerpop) and "rave"** music.

The mixture of the first two by themselves defined emo's music (mostly), and scene pretty much swallowed emo music alive (all scene kids like The Used) and mixed in rave. Big, heaping helpings of rave. I have a theory that it was started by pissed-off ravers after they lost their entire subculture to dubstep. Whatever happened, immediately after this, scene music split into 4 camps. I'll refer to them as "gangsta", "hardcore", "prep" and "traditional".

Gangsta scene is the mixture of scene music with gangsta rap, RnB, more rave (!) and 90's hard rock (better known as nu metal or mallcore), and the infamous crunkcore is a more specific offshoot of this. Hardcore scene went for extreme metal, and singlehandedly invented deathcore. Prep scene completely devoured and replaced the genres of pop punk and powerpop. Traditional scene just kept doing what it was doing. Great examples of each are Hollywood Undead, A Day To Remember, Forever the Sickest Kids and Asking Alexandria, respectively.

What's the point of explaining this? To show you why I can't just answer "what is it?" No one explanation suits all cases, or even a majority of popular cases. Kill Paradise, for example, is scene, and they have no rock in their music at all, or even any alt-rock influence in the vocals. There's even instrumental chiptune artists whose music is scene. (Seriously.) The best you can do is just put it in its own category for now and hope someday it starts making sense.

* Scene fashion and scene music are actually more unconnected than the others. Most scene kids and musicians ignore scene fashion altogether and still call themselves scene.
** Rave is not actually a genre. I refer here to the Holy Trinity of The Rave: vocal trance, happy hardcore, hard house.
*** Yes, I wrote this on Christmas morning. That should tell you how awesome my Christmas was.

I'm starting to give even less of a fuck about this shit than I already did and I sort of want to tell you to shut up about it now, but I also feel compelled to continue the conversation long enough to point out to you that:

1) A Day To Remember isn't anything even remotely approaching deathcore. At best, they're the first screamo-pop band that doesn't totally suck.

and

2) Deathcore has been around as an "identified" genre WAY longer than the whole "scene" scene has been around, and is in no way descended from or even related to scene.

and

3) The endless and pointless sub-categorization and over-hyphenation of music is fucking retarded.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Johnny

But what about rave-hardcore-screamo-glam-cybergoth ???  :sad:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 28, 2009, 07:10:34 AM

I'm starting to give even less of a fuck about this shit than I already did and I sort of want to tell you to shut up about it now, but I also feel compelled to continue the conversation long enough to point out to you that:

1) A Day To Remember isn't anything even remotely approaching deathcore. At best, they're the first screamo-pop band that doesn't totally suck.

and

2) Deathcore has been around as an "identified" genre WAY longer than the whole "scene" scene has been around, and is in no way descended from or even related to scene.

and

3) The endless and pointless sub-categorization and over-hyphenation of music is fucking retarded.

You, sir, are :mittens:.

Hangshai

It seems like with music nowadays, no matter what the genre, the bands coming out are all manufactured like NSync or Backstreet Boys.  A prepackaged group of 30+ teen idols for 12 year old girls.  There doesnt seem to be any innovation in music anymore, and the old process of a band being signed to a label, and then developing on that label will never happen again.  We will never have a band like Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin or even the Pixies...  All thats left is pop groups and number 1 hit singles.

(Am I doing this

:deadhorse:   ?)
All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

The Johnny

Quote from: Hangshai on December 28, 2009, 09:00:35 AM
It seems like with music nowadays, no matter what the genre, the bands coming out are all manufactured like NSync or Backstreet Boys.  A prepackaged group of 30+ teen idols for 12 year old girls.  There doesnt seem to be any innovation in music anymore, and the old process of a band being signed to a label, and then developing on that label will never happen again.  We will never have a band like Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin or even the Pixies...  All thats left is pop groups and number 1 hit singles.

(Am I doing this

I would agree, but not as an absolute, more like a general tendency. Id say in music, there is always needles in the hay.

Bands from 2005 forward that i like are:

-Cansei De Ser Sexy
-M83
-Garbage
-Queen Adreena
-White Stripes
-Goldfrapp
-Scarling
-H.I.M.
-Dresden Dolls
-Ministry
-Sonic Youth
-Artrosis
-Melvis
-Birthday Massacre
-Speedcore (recent music genre)

This is just my personal subjective examples, and although some of these bands were created before 2005, my point is that theres some good music around.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Three bands that do not conform to Hang's theory:

Grizzly Bear
XX
Dirty Projectors

Hint: If you listen to commercial radio, you will hear commercial bands.

AFK

Quote from: Hangshai on December 28, 2009, 09:00:35 AM

(Am I doing this

I don't know.  I think it's like LMNO points out.  If you use commercial outlets as the measuring stick, well sure.  I've been a metal-head for a long time, and I've seen peaks and valleys.  When metal blew up in the late 70s/early 80s, there was some pretty good shit coming out.  Then, it kind of stagnated for a few years and then blew up again in the early 90s.  Now, in the late 00's, the folk metal genre is starting to really develop and there are some bands like Moonsorrow, Eluveitie, and Finntroll who are putting out some pretty impressive, and different, stuff.  But, at the same time, you have the metalcore puppy-mill churning out the Lamb of Gods, Hatebreeds, Triviums, Shadows Falls, etc.,

So, maybe you just need to look more. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

President Television

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 28, 2009, 02:05:55 PM
I don't know.  I think it's like LMNO points out.  If you use commercial outlets as the measuring stick, well sure.  I've been a metal-head for a long time, and I've seen peaks and valleys.  When metal blew up in the late 70s/early 80s, there was some pretty good shit coming out.  Then, it kind of stagnated for a few years and then blew up again in the early 90s.  Now, in the late 00's, the folk metal genre is starting to really develop and there are some bands like Moonsorrow, Eluveitie, and Finntroll who are putting out some pretty impressive, and different, stuff.  But, at the same time, you have the metalcore puppy-mill churning out the Lamb of Gods, Hatebreeds, Triviums, Shadows Falls, etc.,

So, maybe you just need to look more. 

This. Personally, I generally prefer older bands, and I'll admit that most of the bands that are around now that I like have been around since at least the 90s, but there are good new bands out there.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrVFqKt6_I

The trouble is that there's this big scene of asshole hipsters who pride themselves on knowing obscure bands. I've actually avoided looking for good bands out of fear of becoming one of them. A life spent chasing indie cred is a terrible thing indeed.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Hangshai

I've been going backwards, too...  It just seems like there is so much there to be enjoyed.  I have found a couple newer bands I like.  They are fairly mainstream, but I dig the Management and the Klaxons.  Those are about the only two new bands I dig.  If I hear another alt-anything album/group I am going to rip my hair out.  and LMNO, you saw my 10 record list, so, at least that should be an indication that Im not limiting myself to only commercial radio/music whatever.  I seriously havent heard any new bands that are innovative as anything from the 90s.  A lot of bands that SOUND LIKE stuff from then, but nothing that is as new and innovative.

This is a really hard conversation to have,  because of course my personal taste plays into it, and I know that, and what I consider new and innovative, you might consider bored and tired.  in a nutshell I think there is a perfect combination of rock and pop that can be achieved.  Punk bands are the best at accomplishing this (real punk), with short catchy as fuck anthemic songs.  There are 'reg' rock bands that can accomplish this (the mixing of pop sensibilities in their music).

I do know, from my experience working at a record store, that most people that listen to music put it on actually so they DONT have to listen to it.  So they can just tune out and not really pay attention to anything.  Its weird, but Ive seen people do it.  It just gives them white noise so they can go on autopilot.
All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

the last yatto

Jimmy Hendrix is my copilot
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit