News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Reply to Emo Thread

Started by Cait M. R., December 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 06:49:34 PM

I started hanging out with post-punkers after I got too old to be a club kid.

I know otherwise-cool people in their mid 20s who still wear trip pants.  :x

Someone come down here and shoot me.
:lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I had no scene or life or identity except the religious one... I listened to the awesome music played on "Oldies" and "Easy Listening" stations cause the rest of that shit was from the Devil and promoted 'worldly ideas' (Apparently "Under the Boardwalk" is a fine Jesus lovin tune...).

Anyway, after my escape I fell in with some goths, but I was already 25 so that was kinda weird. I hadn't thought about gender bending... but cute girls can make you do strange things and I found myself in skirts with "Prom Hair" often... but it seemed to turn cute girls on so I went with it. But, I never really got into the goth music, just the look and the people.

These days, I do regret not having freed myself enough to be in a scene of some sort, it is apparently one of those experiences you can't go pick up later in life... though I tried*.

* I did discover though that this doesn't work... it just makes you look like an old fool.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 17, 2009, 07:04:13 PM
* I did discover though that this doesn't work... it just makes you look like an old fool.

THIS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I know otherwise-cool people in their mid 20s who still wear trip pants.  :x

Oh, my god. I always hated those. Especially on boys... they can look cute on really waifish girls.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I had no scene or life or identity except the religious one... I listened to the awesome music played on "Oldies" and "Easy Listening" stations cause the rest of that shit was from the Devil and promoted 'worldly ideas' (Apparently "Under the Boardwalk" is a fine Jesus lovin tune...).

Anyway, after my escape I fell in with some goths, but I was already 25 so that was kinda weird. I hadn't thought about gender bending... but cute girls can make you do strange things and I found myself in skirts with "Prom Hair" often... but it seemed to turn cute girls on so I went with it. But, I never really got into the goth music, just the look and the people.

These days, I do regret not having freed myself enough to be in a scene of some sort, it is apparently one of those experiences you can't go pick up later in life... though I tried*.

Later in life you can just go with being extremely eccentric.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:13:59 PM

I am looking forward to proceeding to being curmudgeony, if I'm not already there.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:15:44 PM

I am looking forward to proceeding to being curmudgeony, if I'm not already there.

I think you're there.

You know what that means...

YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE WALL.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:13:02 PM

Oh, my god. I always hated those. Especially on boys... they can look cute on really waifish girls.

There's something horrible about it, Nigel, especially on people old enough to know better.  It's like they're trying to remain teenagers forever, like an unshaven Peter Pan with a paunch.  It's depressing as hell.

What the hell ever happened to just wearing blue jeans?

AFK

Growing up in a tiny little town, in the middle of nowhere Maine, with a school that had only 200 kids, it was hard for any kind of scene to get any kind of traction.  I was basically a scene of 1.  I was really the only kid in high school that listened to any kind of metal outside of the hair-metal genre.  My junior year of high school was actually spent in southern New Jersey after my Dad was transferred there from the base that closed in Maine.  I was exposed to post-modern music and got into that for awhile.  We moved back to tiny town Maine for my Senior year, and it was then I realized how stuck in the mud the rest of my class had been.  I became even more of an outcast, which was quite a hoot.  Everyone else was into country-western or Christian-pop music.  Oh, and going out of there way to be as "normal" as possible.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:16:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:15:44 PM

I think you're there.

You know what that means...

YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE WALL.

Everything is better, when you take it a little too far.

That's why all of my friends are 20 years older or younger than I am.  The 60 year olds are too old to care what people think, and the 20-somethings are too oblivious.  Most people my age are right smack in the middle of either a major midlife crisis, or so busy keeping up with the Joneses that it's all they know how to talk about.

My only local friend from my generation is a rabid conspiracy freak, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:13:02 PM

There's something horrible about it, Nigel, especially on people old enough to know better.  It's like they're trying to remain teenagers forever, like an unshaven Peter Pan with a paunch.  It's depressing as hell.

What the hell ever happened to just wearing blue jeans?

Ew, on old people... shudder.  :x

People need to just embrace their decay.

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 17, 2009, 07:19:00 PM
Growing up in a tiny little town, in the middle of nowhere Maine, with a school that had only 200 kids, it was hard for any kind of scene to get any kind of traction.  I was basically a scene of 1.  I was really the only kid in high school that listened to any kind of metal outside of the hair-metal genre.  My junior year of high school was actually spent in southern New Jersey after my Dad was transferred there from the base that closed in Maine.  I was exposed to post-modern music and got into that for awhile.  We moved back to tiny town Maine for my Senior year, and it was then I realized how stuck in the mud the rest of my class had been.  I became even more of an outcast, which was quite a hoot.  Everyone else was into country-western or Christian-pop music.  Oh, and going out of there way to be as "normal" as possible.  

I think I know what you mean, RWHN.  One of my really good friends grew up in rural Maine... and is VERY GAY.  As you might guess, this made his adolescence pretty tough.

Today, he's one of those flamingly gay queens who will stomp your ass into the dirt if you cross him.  

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 07:22:59 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 17, 2009, 07:19:00 PM

I think I know what you mean, RWHN.  One of my really good friends grew up in rural Maine... and is VERY GAY.  As you might guess, this made his adolescence pretty tough.

Today, he's one of those flamingly gay queens who will stomp your ass into the dirt if you cross him.  

America needs more of those.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:05:42 PM

THIS.

I mean, the late 20's early 30's chicks still dig it.. but well, they probably shouldn't be wearing what they're wearing either ;-)

QuoteLater in life you can just go with being extremely eccentric.

True enough Nigel... I'm doing pretty well on that end. but, its just one of those many "Well damn, I didn't even know I missed the chance for that sort of experience" kind of regrets. Sorta like 'raves'. Apparently there used to be kick ass raves in Columbus (I don't know man, I didn't do it). There used to be X and dancing till dawn and crazy warehouses and hot chicks and silly outfits... and while I can wear silly outfits and experiment with drugs... it won't ever be the same kind of experience.

I don't think its so much the "I didn't get to be Outlandish" that smarts, but the fact that I completely missed many of the experiences that dominated my generation. Maybe that's silly coming from a Discordian who rants about TYF,S!, but its true nonetheless.

Hell, I was living in NYC at the height of the Club Kids and I even went to a club once where James St. James was... but it was me and three other guys from the Watchtower Headquarters and none of us knew shit about anything... including how to get in the club. Apparently 'club clothes' weren't the same as the clothes you wear to the Kingdom Hall... now I can laugh at that.  :lulz:

I hadn't even considered that aspect of my life until I watched the movie Monster Party and it dawned on me how close I was to something crazy and completely missed it.

The sands of time and all that bullshit.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

I am glad that I missed the club scene, and the raves.  Loser bars and Johnny Cash and Hank Sr & Jr were good enough for me.