News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Reply to Emo Thread

Started by Cait M. R., December 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When I was about 12, my sister gave me a humorous button that said "Too much is never enough".

I guess I took it to heart.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:33:15 PM
When I was about 12, my sister gave me a humorous button that said "Too much is never enough".

I guess I took it to heart.

Too much is always better than not enough.

Your sister was wise.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:21:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:13:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 06:49:34 PM

I started hanging out with post-punkers after I got too old to be a club kid.

I know otherwise-cool people in their mid 20s who still wear trip pants.  :x

Someone come down here and shoot me.

Oh, my god. I always hated those. Especially on boys... they can look cute on really waifish girls.

There's something horrible about it, Nigel, especially on people old enough to know better.  It's like they're trying to remain teenagers forever, like an unshaven Peter Pan with a paunch.  It's depressing as hell.

What the hell ever happened to just wearing blue jeans?

Ew, on old people... shudder.  :x

People need to just embrace their decay.

Hee Hee!

:lulz:MY EX IS 34 AND HAS MORE TRIP PANTS THAN ME! :lulz:

Hee hee!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 17, 2009, 07:41:16 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:21:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 07:13:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 06:49:34 PM

I started hanging out with post-punkers after I got too old to be a club kid.

I know otherwise-cool people in their mid 20s who still wear trip pants.  :x

Someone come down here and shoot me.

Oh, my god. I always hated those. Especially on boys... they can look cute on really waifish girls.

There's something horrible about it, Nigel, especially on people old enough to know better.  It's like they're trying to remain teenagers forever, like an unshaven Peter Pan with a paunch.  It's depressing as hell.

What the hell ever happened to just wearing blue jeans?

Ew, on old people... shudder.  :x

People need to just embrace their decay.

Hee Hee!

:lulz:MY EX IS 34 AND HAS MORE TRIP PANTS THAN ME! :lulz:

Hee hee!

He's one of the people I was talking about.

(So are you and the whole coffee group.)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:horrormirth: I don't know what trip pants are!  :horrormirth:

I had a pair of jeans that were too long once though... made me trip all the time.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Its all just smoke, I can walk in and out of almost any party, because those divisions don't mean shit and scene cred doesn't exist.
The people who feel they have to belong to something in order to be comfortable are weak and truly alone.

Mangrove

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 17, 2009, 07:44:07 PM
:horrormirth: I don't know what trip pants are!  :horrormirth:

Thank you Rat, for posting the post that I was too cowardly to make.

Mang - also doesn't understand 'trip pance'.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:42:47 PM

Most times, the only reason I wear those is because

A) they are the only clean pair I have or
B) I don't feel like hauling my bag around with me when I go for a walk but still need stuff.

OR C) I'm lazy and they're the closest thing on the floor when I get up.

search.hottopic.com/clothing/Tripp%20Pants

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Wow, those are some special pants!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Freeky

Shoosh, you. I like those pants, even if I'm not going to buy any more.

Msts. Freeky,
Missed out on Tripp pants during teenage years.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 07:22:59 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 17, 2009, 07:19:00 PM
Growing up in a tiny little town, in the middle of nowhere Maine, with a school that had only 200 kids, it was hard for any kind of scene to get any kind of traction.  I was basically a scene of 1.  I was really the only kid in high school that listened to any kind of metal outside of the hair-metal genre.  My junior year of high school was actually spent in southern New Jersey after my Dad was transferred there from the base that closed in Maine.  I was exposed to post-modern music and got into that for awhile.  We moved back to tiny town Maine for my Senior year, and it was then I realized how stuck in the mud the rest of my class had been.  I became even more of an outcast, which was quite a hoot.  Everyone else was into country-western or Christian-pop music.  Oh, and going out of there way to be as "normal" as possible.  

I think I know what you mean, RWHN.  One of my really good friends grew up in rural Maine... and is VERY GAY.  As you might guess, this made his adolescence pretty tough.

Today, he's one of those flamingly gay queens who will stomp your ass into the dirt if you cross him.  

I bet it was rough.  If you take Portland south away from Maine, we're a pretty Conservative, Red state.  The doctor who ran the town clinic in my town adopted two African girls when I was in school.  Yep, so they were officially the ONLY black kids in the school.  Hell, probably 2 of the maybe 20 black kids in the whole county.  You want to talk about peer pressure.  When you live in a very homogenized and conservative community, it can be really rough when you stick out, even just a little.  This is why I have a very strong love/hate relationship with my hometown. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 17, 2009, 07:52:23 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:42:47 PM

Most times, the only reason I wear those is because

A) they are the only clean pair I have or
B) I don't feel like hauling my bag around with me when I go for a walk but still need stuff.

OR C) I'm lazy and they're the closest thing on the floor when I get up.

search.hottopic.com/clothing/Tripp%20Pants

I can only hope that when my little girl becomes a teenager that the fashion fad involves that much fabric. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cait M. R.

I'm only "scene" because I enjoy a lot of the music and I'm one of the only people on Earth who honestly enjoys the fashion. Overly flashy clothes, fucked up looking hair (man I can't wait till I can afford fucking highlights), appropriating the concept of bling from hip-hop and the gender ambiguity Nigel mentioned. FUCK YES. Unfortunately, almost all of the people are enormous self-important douchebags, and I get more kicks out of trolling them on MySpace then I do trying to be part of their clique.

Also, for those who read too far into my making no immediate distinction between scene and emo, there is a HUGE difference. For one, scene music is everything ever smashed into one damn genre. Glam rock, pop-punk, hardcore punk, hip-hop, rave, FUCKING CHIPTUNES -- I've heard all of them together in one song before. I may have to grab an example at some point, because it's fucking great.

The fashion is mostly connected to emo by the hair. Everything else about it is, as with the music, every pop culture style from the early 80s onward being welded together into SOMETHING UNSPEAKABLE. Look at the linked picture above. IT IS EVERYTHING. All he's missing is cowboy boots and a damn trucker hat. Really. Oh, you want cybergoth too? Same guy. How about stereotypical "metal"/"goth" fashion? There's a Dahvie Vanity pic for that. (Dahvie is the unofficial leader of scene.) It's the best thing EVER.

The main thing that IS the same between emo and scene is the people. They're all whiny douchebags and many scene kids are the same ones who were in the emo crowd.

East Coast Hustle

I really don't care about the correct intricacies of the emo subculture.

I just know that they look stupid and their music fills me with rage, and that if it weren't extra illegal to assault minors there would be alot of whiny high-school twits with bruised and broken shins.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Z³ on December 17, 2009, 07:48:22 PM
Its all just smoke, I can walk in and out of almost any party, because those divisions don't mean shit and scene cred doesn't exist.
The people who feel they have to belong to something in order to be comfortable are weak and truly alone.

THIS.

RCH,
more socially ambiguous than The Fonz
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"