News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Cyberpunk

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, May 18, 2011, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadezhda

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2011, 04:29:00 PM
No, the fact that the press is reporting that Al-Qaeda hatched a plan using a tractor covered in spinning swords to attack America means reality is too awesome to exist.

Wait, seriously?

Nadezhda

The only google results I'm coming up with are articles saying that Osama said no, he didn't have any sword-covered tractors.  Was it Fox who reported it?  :lol:

Precious Moments Zalgo

I also haven't read Neuromancer yet.  It's available in epub format here: http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=ZGC5VF4X

Quote from: Nadezhda on May 20, 2011, 02:48:01 AM
The only google results I'm coming up with are articles saying that Osama said no, he didn't have any sword-covered tractors.  Was it Fox who reported it?  :lol:
I found this link, that says that Navy Seals found documents in Osama's compound about this "tractor of death", but Osama rejected the idea.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Cain

Bin Laden,
ruining the dreams of every nine year old jihadi, one broken heart at a time

Cramulus

The first sentence in Neuromancer is perhaps my favorite opening line in any novel.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

----really says it all

President Television

Quote from: Cramulus on May 20, 2011, 03:37:10 PM
The first sentence in Neuromancer is perhaps my favorite opening line in any novel.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

----really says it all

What sucks is that nowadays that colour is bright blue. You cannot unsee it.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Triple Zero

I always wondered about that line. It's an EXTREMELY cool line, no doubt, but what does it mean? Does he mean the sky actually looks like black/white static in that scene? Because this description is of a sky in the real world, right, so it can't really look like static?
Or is a dead channel supposed to be grey black, like a TV switched off?

oh and Roger, thanks for the recommendation, I've made a note of the title and will keep a look out for it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

President Television

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 24, 2011, 01:03:29 PM
I always wondered about that line. It's an EXTREMELY cool line, no doubt, but what does it mean? Does he mean the sky actually looks like black/white static in that scene? Because this description is of a sky in the real world, right, so it can't really look like static?
Or is a dead channel supposed to be grey black, like a TV switched off?

oh and Roger, thanks for the recommendation, I've made a note of the title and will keep a look out for it.

He is referring to static, but the idea is that the sky is grey.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

LMNO

To be very clear, I see it as an overcast sky, mottled and irregular; an ominous shifting of shadow and grey.  And the light that comes through is harsh-- the clouds are thick enough to block direct sunlight, but allow a thin, sharp, menacing light to bleed through.

Cramulus

Yeah, I figured it was overcast, sort of patchy. Who knows what a TV tuned to a dead channel looks like in the future, but in Gibson's time, it looked gray and chaotic.

It's the first line of the novel, so it's definitely referring to more than just the sky.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on June 24, 2011, 02:18:39 PMWho knows what a TV tuned to a dead channel looks like in the future

Good point.

Personally I've always imagined it as a plain boring white flat overcast sky, except a littlebit darker. So, like Uncle Wallified said. Simultaneously I'd wonder if it maybe actually was a black/white static sky, and come back to what a damn cool line it is.

Thing is, I can't imagine going from TV static to actual clouds, no matter how irregular the clouds are they can't be "flat" like static is. But then maybe I'm a geek that knows too much about random noise (clouds are 1/f noise having features at both small and larger scales, while TV static is white noise and has a flat spectrum)

QuoteIt's the first line of the novel, so it's definitely referring to more than just the sky.

Apart from the obvious describing a natural thing in a very clean technological way, setting up Gibson's tone for the rest of the novel, any more?

Did I mention it's a kickass line.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

President Television

For what it's worth, I think an animated adaptation in which the clouds are represented by static in the sky would look very, very cool.

Captain Swampass

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on June 24, 2011, 07:20:16 PM
For what it's worth, I think an animated adaptation in which the clouds are represented by static in the sky would look very, very cool.

But then you're getting all surreal. Which may or may not be good for a cyberpunk.

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 24, 2011, 06:22:08 PM
Apart from the obvious describing a natural thing in a very clean technological way, setting up Gibson's tone for the rest of the novel, any more?

my interpretation:

the sky being like a dead TV channel

-- could refer to a literal lack of authority in the world.

OR

-- could refer to a world with a lack of moral authority - the characters are hackers, mercenaries, and renegades, their morals are questionable. They live in a world where god is dead.

And I'm rusty on Neuromancer, but doesn't it follow that the heroes in the book are all people who reject the world?
I'm reminded of that character in the bar with shark cartilage in his face. Gibson describes him like, "In a world of affordable beauty, there was something heroic about his ugliness."

Cryo

Read all of the sprawl before attempting to understand what he meant.  Between him and Bruce Sterling, they have created a reality that isn't matched by today's or even tomorrow's technology, but for some reason, it's become a church of its own, much as Heinlein and even elron.  Really, I barfed a little in my throat reading this.

</first post>
</first troll>