News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Books That No One Should Read

Started by A.N. Other, August 27, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.N. Other

Sometimes, we all get unlucky and waste our money on books that should have never have even been put to pen and paper, let alone seen by a editor and sent to print. Now, I've always believed it was a good thing to watch each other's backs, so to help us here save some money and perhaps what's left of our sanity, I've decided to establish a thread to tell each other about the worst of the worst.

I'll start with a book all the way back from 2004 called "The Illuminati Manifesto" by Solomon Tulbure. Now, it makes sense this book got past the editor, as it was published by one of those internet publishers, so grammar and such wasn't corrected. That's its first strike against the book.

Next, the guy claims to be head of the Illuminati that started over in Bavaria, and the reason they came out of hiding was because they needed new recruits for something big. That something big? Dismantling organized religion, of course, and forcing people to be free and think for themselves. If they don't, they don't deserve to live and should be either be killed or forced into slavery.

And lastly, he's a Ayn Rand whore. Enough said.

Who's next?

P.S. If there is another thread like this, and I'm copying it (I've been known to do that), sorry.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Iason Ouabache

How about: anything written by Charles Dickens.  You can tell that he was paid by the word.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

BADGE OF HONOR

Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks was a complete waste of time and money.  It's the first book I've ever stopped reading halfway through just because the writing was so awful.  Awkward descriptions, flat characterizations, terrible dialogue...and the plot!  My god.  By the time I gave up the protagonist (who was utterly uninteresting) had suffered something like five utter catastrophes. 

It's currently lying on my bathroom floor being slowly destroyed by moisture and Comet.  I can't even be bothered to throw that piece of shit away. 
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cain

The Principia Discordia
Illuminatus! Trilogy

[/obvious]

Anyway I would NOT recommend reading:

Anything by Lee Child (cliche ridden, predictable, boring "thrillers")
Anything by Dan Brown (see above, plus adoring idiots fans).
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (I know, I know, its a play....)
Anything by Kant
Mein Kampf by Hitler (gibberish and paranoid ranting with no literary merit and only useful as a historical document).
The Left Behind Series - bad plot, bad writing, bad for your brain

Triple Zero

Anything by Orson S Card except Ender's Game.
The Sword of Truth series except the first book (Wizard's first Rule)
Daniel Goleman - The Meditative Mind

... and

This thread.

;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Raphaella

Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series  :x
the only two books I have read by him and they are horrid! Clearly not worth the $0.15 I payed for them.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

LMNO

The Celestine Prophecy

Infinite Jest

Payne

Quote from: Rabid Badger of God on August 27, 2008, 07:50:27 AM
Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks was a complete waste of time and money.  It's the first book I've ever stopped reading halfway through just because the writing was so awful.  Awkward descriptions, flat characterizations, terrible dialogue...and the plot!  My god.  By the time I gave up the protagonist (who was utterly uninteresting) had suffered something like five utter catastrophes. 

It's currently lying on my bathroom floor being slowly destroyed by moisture and Comet.  I can't even be bothered to throw that piece of shit away. 

For that, I'd recommend most of his other Sci-Fi, which is all written under Iain M. Banks. The Player of Games was an awesome book.

Payne

Quote from: triple zero on August 27, 2008, 11:42:11 AM

The Sword of Truth series except the first book (Wizard's first Rule)

I'd add in the second book too, The Stone of Tears was actually not that bad, but from the third book, he starts to really throw his Ayn Rand fanboi-ism about.

Richter

Quote from: Cain on August 27, 2008, 11:27:42 AM
The Principia Discordia
Illuminatus! Trilogy

[/obvious]

Anyway I would NOT recommend reading:

Anything by Lee Child (cliche ridden, predictable, boring "thrillers")
Anything by Dan Brown (see above, plus adoring idiots fans).
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (I know, I know, its a play....)
Anything by Kant
Mein Kampf by Hitler (gibberish and paranoid ranting with no literary merit and only useful as a historical document).
The Left Behind Series - bad plot, bad writing, bad for your brain

RAH!

Also:

Simon Necronomicon  (Tyson faked it better)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eve

Emotionally crippled narcissist.

LMNO

Quote from: Eve on August 27, 2008, 05:09:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 27, 2008, 02:24:00 PM
The Celestine Prophecy

Infinite Jest

But I love DFW!  :x

His short stories and essays are great.  IJ sucked massive wheelchair-bound-Canadian-Terrorist balls.

Cainad (dec.)

Celtika by Robert Holdstock

While I adore Holdstock's Mythago Wood (as does everyone else in my immediate family), Celtika starts out promising and then fucking nothing happens for the next seven or so chapters. I put it down and never picked it back up.

hooplala

"Mister B. Gone" by Clive Barker.  Complete piece of shit.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Payne