News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Nyarlathotep

Started by StarFish, May 30, 2005, 01:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slarti

which one was the black goat god of one thousand young? shub-niggurath i think? that was the coolest mythos ever- can anyone suggest some non-lovecraft authors that do justice to the mythos? i think i've read MOST of the cthulhu mythos stuff by hpl, as well as a bunch of other lovecraft.

Horab Fibslager

i don't think anyone does the mythos like lovecraft. but hten i really like his writing style. he's the only author whose works give me the heeby jeebies.
Hell is other people.

LMNO

Have you tried Frank Belknap Long?  Similar, and creepy.

Doesn't deal with the Mythos directly, he goes in a different direction, but there are similar themes.

nurbldoff

I agree with horab here. I have read quite a lot of non-hpl "mythos" stuff but none of it seemed quite as genuine, with a few exceptions. I also agree with a lot of people who say hpl wasn't a great author, but he did have truly wonderful ideas. His stories, while not always very good in themselves, have sort of planted seeds in my mind that have grown into a great appreciation of the "mythos".

As the "mythos" is usually presented, it's a product of many more authors than hpl himself though... and many of the entities he himself used weren't entirely his own constructions. But I credit him with the basic look and feel of the mythos, as well as most of the main characters.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Iron Sulfide

i would have to say, that Cthulhu holds a special place in my heart,
i just hope he doesn't wake up and eat it.

nyatlathotep is a good question though.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Cain

Quote from: LMNOThe Scribe>All Elder Gods.

'Nuff said.

Fixed.  8)

LMNO

You're not Testing the Scrid, are you?

Apparently, it's got laser beam eyes...

Horab Fibslager

adn you'd think hjaving pinpoint precision with 8 firearms simualtaneous regardless of factors like recoil or any of that other shit would be enough.
Hell is other people.