News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

A movie I suggest you all see

Started by The Littlest Ubermensch, August 29, 2007, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

i listen to speedcore just because sometimes you want a beat to be HARDER and FASTER than all the rest. not to numb myself.

speedcore is good for doing the dishes by, or vacuuming your room.

12 minute rape scene would probably just make me feel ill :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: triple zero on August 31, 2007, 12:33:29 AM
i listen to speedcore just because sometimes you want a beat to be HARDER and FASTER than all the rest. not to numb myself.

speedcore is good for doing the dishes by, or vacuuming your room.

12 minute rape scene would probably just make me feel ill :)

It does have a purpose though. It's over the top, but the point of the film is made very clear.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 30, 2007, 03:02:10 PM
Well, exactly.

And I have a gripe with anything that encourages rape as a sexy idea.

There are rape fantasies/role plays/etc, which are totally a-okay. People have them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And then there's actual rape, and having it reinforced that it's arousing. That's different.

Argh. Sorry, I am going to try not to get preachy. Rape is just one of those things I get really aggressive about.

I think they try to break social taboos in order to affect psychological imprinting... sadly its too "in your face" and sometimes fails.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Littlest Ubermensch

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 30, 2007, 03:02:10 PM
Well, exactly.

And I have a gripe with anything that encourages rape as a sexy idea.

There are rape fantasies/role plays/etc, which are totally a-okay. People have them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And then there's actual rape, and having it reinforced that it's arousing. That's different.

Argh. Sorry, I am going to try not to get preachy. Rape is just one of those things I get really aggressive about.

One of the things about this movie is that it in no way eroticizes the rape scene. It just takes a fly on the wall stance and shows you how brutal and horrible of a thing it is.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Darth Cupcake

You both make very valid points.

One of the things I wrestle with, however, in regards to rape scenes is the impact it can have on people who have been raped. A man or woman who has been raped can be "triggered" by seeing a scene like that, and it can often result in some pretty major issues for them. I hate to see that happen, particularly with people I know. But at the same time, I don't feel it's correct to regulate--you know, like putting a warning at the beginning of a movie or something, or limiting what people can show... As much as I have a pretty violent aversion to scenes like that (my guess is that watching that would make me physically ill), that doesn't mean I want to see them controlled or limited.

I don't think I just said anything coherent. My apologies if that is the case; I blame the cold meds!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

It seems as if it would serve the same purpose as the first 20 minutes of "saving Private Ryan".

That is, a massive sensory/emotional overload to short out the brain, after which you can lay down a story on a blank slate.

In the case of "saving privat Ryan", it allowed Speilberg to present a maudlin, sappy story with overtones of anti-semitism as some sort of great work of art.

Darth Cupcake

*shrug* I found Saving Private Ryan to be pretty trite and stupid. Perhaps these tactics are not so effective on me due to my heartlessness. Hmm.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

guest7654

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 05, 2007, 03:08:09 PM
It seems as if it would serve the same purpose as the first 20 minutes of "saving Private Ryan".

That is, a massive sensory/emotional overload to short out the brain, after which you can lay down a story on a blank slate.

In the case of "saving privat Ryan", it allowed Speilberg to present a maudlin, sappy story with overtones of anti-semitism as some sort of great work of art.

Anti-semitism?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

If you follow the sub-plot of the only Jew on the squad, it sort of jumps out at you.

nurbldoff

*Re-jack*

I saw this movie when it came out and I can honestly say no other movie ever hit me as hard, right in my stomach. The rape scene is part of it, sure, it's definitely one of the more brutally realistic scenes I've seen on film. But it's more than that.

The comparison with Memento isn't very interesting, because in in Irreversible, the story is told backwards for completely different reasons. It's not something that is really necessary to the story. Telling it backwards just makes the whole thing much more effective and tragic when you know what will happen to everyone involved. Suddenly it's all inevitable... and thoroughly irreversible.

It's a good movie. Not perfect, but bloody hard hitting. Most people will find it hard to watch though.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on September 05, 2007, 03:13:14 PM
*shrug* I found Saving Private Ryan to be pretty trite and stupid. Perhaps these tactics are not so effective on me due to my heartlessness. Hmm.

Mind tricks work on some minds... other minds have already been modified so the effects for the "masses" don't seem to work as well. You may have played with your own brain enough that the effect of "shock and reset" just doesn't work... at least not with the average example.

I did find that Tideland hit me a couple times, of course Terry Gilliam aims for anything but the average ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Voltigeur

Irreversible! and Baise Moi (one you referred to earlier, LMNO) are both quite uninteresting in opinion. They're like the french versions of Ichi the Killer/Visitor Q/other weird shit from Takashi Miike. Baise Moi was filmed with crapquality DVcams and are nothing but fetish-films released for the mainstreams. See one fake snuff movie, see them all. Irreversible! was trying too hard to be interesting, like a retarded kid screaming look at me and the 12 min rape scenes/all the other filth wasn't the best vessel to get their points across imo.
-sepia

PeregrineBF

You want a good film with brutality? Krzysztof Kieslowski's "A short film about killing."
Or how about Hitchcock's Rear Window. All the violence is implied. You don't need outright brutality on screen to have an effect, and this film illustrates that perfectly.