News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

The Huffington Post tells us why skepticism is bad...

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, December 02, 2009, 05:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 05:58:32 PM
Can you scientifically prove "green is pretty"?
Scientifically prove what the word "pretty" means and the problem becomes trivial.

:roflcake:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

hooplala

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 10, 2009, 06:10:28 PM
Scientifically prove what the word "pretty" means and the problem becomes trivial.

:roflcake:

Nice dodge.  :wink:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on December 10, 2009, 06:06:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 10, 2009, 06:01:01 PM

Yep.  Jam probes into people's pleasure centers, and then show them different colors.

It's hard on the test subjects, of course, but we do this shit for science.

You could also set out a waiting room in identical chairs, painted different colours and see which ones most people sat in but I like your method better.

We'll need hammers, of course.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Iason Ouabache

Chopra decided to tell us again that Western science is doooooomed...

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/28/western-science-is-frozen-says-deepak-chopra.htm

QuoteThe essential nature of the material world is not material; the essential nature of the physical world is not physical; the essential stuff of the universe is non-stuff.

Western science is still frozen in an obsolete, Newtonian worldview that is based literally on superstition -- and we can call it the superstition of materialism -- which says you and I are physical entities of the physical universe.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding that perception is in the brain. It's not in the brain; perception is in consciousness. All our thoughts are in consciousness, all our imagination is in consciousness, all our cognition is in consciousness. Everything that we call reality is in consciousness. Everything! There's nothing outside consciousness. And no one can find this consciousness. And the reason they can't find consciousness is because they are looking in the wrong place.

Past, present and future are actually one phenomenon, one picture, one reality, one consciousness.

Every cell instantly knows what is happening in every other cell, in fact, in the whole universe.

BTW, he said all of this at an astrology conference!   :lulz:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Deepak Chopra: like getting high and talking about "deep stuff, man" with your mates, only without the fun of getting high.

Kai

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on January 02, 2010, 11:07:49 PM
Chopra decided to tell us again that Western science is doooooomed...

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/28/western-science-is-frozen-says-deepak-chopra.htm

QuoteThe essential nature of the material world is not material; the essential nature of the physical world is not physical; the essential stuff of the universe is non-stuff.

Western science is still frozen in an obsolete, Newtonian worldview that is based literally on superstition -- and we can call it the superstition of materialism -- which says you and I are physical entities of the physical universe.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding that perception is in the brain. It's not in the brain; perception is in consciousness. All our thoughts are in consciousness, all our imagination is in consciousness, all our cognition is in consciousness. Everything that we call reality is in consciousness. Everything! There's nothing outside consciousness. And no one can find this consciousness. And the reason they can't find consciousness is because they are looking in the wrong place.

Past, present and future are actually one phenomenon, one picture, one reality, one consciousness.

Every cell instantly knows what is happening in every other cell, in fact, in the whole universe.

BTW, he said all of this at an astrology conference!   :lulz:

I don't know, that materialism has brought about the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, the industrial revolution, the computer revolution, and all the technology that came along with. It's done pretty good at describing the universe too, certainly better than ASTROLOGY.

I think the real reason he despises science is because the more people learn about the universe, the harder it is for him to peddle whatever brand of woo strikes his momentary fancy. The universe is fantastic without the woo. In the words of Tim Minchin, "Isn't this world enough?"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Brotep

Quote from: Kai on January 03, 2010, 02:58:13 AM
I think the real reason he despises science is because the more people learn about the universe, the harder it is for him to peddle whatever brand of woo strikes his momentary fancy.

:lulz:

You said it, man.

If I hear one more misconstrual of quantum theory used to justify the doctrine that reality is silly putty in the hand of your mind, so help me, I'll... :argh!:

Xooxe

Quote from: Kai on January 03, 2010, 02:58:13 AMI think the real reason he despises science is because the more people learn about the universe, the harder it is for him to peddle whatever brand of woo strikes his momentary fancy.

David Icke is currently taking a slightly different approach it seems. He's blaming the left hemisphere of the brain for our part in aiding and abetting the conspiracy, by way of creating meaningful structure out of our perception.  :lulz:

He also uses Jill Bolte Taylor's description of her experience with temporary loss of function in that hemisphere from a stroke, to illustrate that brain damage is amazing, or something.

Man, Chopra doesn't know what he's missing out on. Goldmine.

Kai

Quote from: Xooxe on January 03, 2010, 03:37:09 AM
Quote from: Kai on January 03, 2010, 02:58:13 AMI think the real reason he despises science is because the more people learn about the universe, the harder it is for him to peddle whatever brand of woo strikes his momentary fancy.

David Icke is currently taking a slightly different approach it seems. He's blaming the left hemisphere of the brain for our part in aiding and abetting the conspiracy, by way of creating meaningful structure out of our perception.  :lulz:

He also uses Jill Bolte Taylor's description of her experience with temporary loss of function in that hemisphere from a stroke, to illustrate that brain damage is amazing, or something.

Man, Chopra doesn't know what he's missing out on. Goldmine.

It really SUCKS that Icke is taking Taylor's, IMO, amazing speech about first hand experience with what happens when your reality filters malfuction and turning it into bullshit.  :x
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Xooxe

Icke is all about absorbing anything and everything that goes against the mainstream. If academics seem to be using a hemisphere, he's going to do his damnedest to try and illustrate that it needs purging.

Fuck, I'm sure he's been reading RAW or something, too. If he starts publicly talking about discordia any time soon, then maybe it's time to infiltrate and break things.

Xooxe

QuoteEvery cell instantly knows what is happening in every other cell, in fact, in the whole universe.

:lol: That's my favourite bit.

The entirety of life on Earth is going to be so pissed when it finds out that it wasted millions of years developing complex protein signaling mechanisms for nothing.