News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

So you fucking think fry cooks don't deserve a higher minimum wage?

Started by Don Coyote, June 16, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Many econonmists who have problems updating their priors also have significant financial interests in not doing so, including but not limited to easy access to publication in a conservative press sympathetic to their rubbish, book deals with associated publishing houses and jobs with think tanks or on academic chairs funded by the same people who back their prominence in the press.

Most scientists by contrast are not quite so richly rewarded for getting things wrong.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2015, 02:22:00 AM
Many econonmists who have problems updating their priors also have significant financial interests in not doing so, including but not limited to easy access to publication in a conservative press sympathetic to their rubbish, book deals with associated publishing houses and jobs with think tanks or on academic chairs funded by the same people who back their prominence in the press.

Most scientists by contrast are not quite so richly rewarded for getting things wrong.

Yes.  Absolutely agree.  See also: Scientists who write anti-global warming studies, or the studies that show smoking does not cause cancer.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 22, 2015, 09:50:44 PM
Well, until people start making specific references, it's just another "All X are Y" argument.

I've already given one person who calls themselves an economist who updates their models based upon reality.

I can also name several who don't, and yes, they tend to get the most amount of press, but that doesn't make it the fault of economics.

It's discrediting physics because of the people who go around saying "the observer creates the universe".

Dingdingdingding

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 22, 2015, 05:00:22 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 22, 2015, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 22, 2015, 04:04:40 PM
I've got a hard time calling economics a science. If we say something is a science, we're giving the impression that it follows the scientific method. Economics seems to miss out on the whole section of analyzing results to see if the hypothesis held up. I mean, you still hear economists arguing for trickle down economics.

Yes, but we've already established that everything you know about the field, you have picked up through political coverage through the media, which means that you don't actually know what economics is and are not qualified to comment meaningfully on it.

You can bloviate, but until you know what it is, your opinions are meaningless. But look! You have this amazing tool, right under your very fingertips! What could it be? How could you use it to learn something, to inform your opinion before spouting it?

We just don't know. It's a mystery.
No, you've assumed that my knowledge of economics comes from mass media, but nothing of the sort has been established. Instead, you've demonstrated a willingness to draw conclusions without a solid basis and to act like you understand something you have no direct knowledge of.

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 22, 2015, 01:21:19 PM
Hasn't the GOP since the start of Reagan proven that there's no need to look at your predictions to see if they came true as long as you can pretend they did, or blame the other guy when you can't even pretend?

No, just saying that actually showing predictions to be true or false is something that is ignored in politics today, and most of what you hear regarding economist is political in nature unless you're in the financial industry yourself.

I'm sorry, did you mean something else when you said this?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You can find "experts in a field" saying all kinds of things that are incongruent with the science in that field. That's where we get "experts" like Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola.

Rev Thwack

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 23, 2015, 07:14:26 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 22, 2015, 04:10:55 PM
Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 22, 2015, 04:04:40 PM
I've got a hard time calling economics a science. If we say something is a science, we're giving the impression that it follows the scientific method. Economics seems to miss out on the whole section of analyzing results to see if the hypothesis held up. I mean, you still hear economists arguing for trickle down economics.

Yes, but we've already established that everything you know about the field, you have picked up through political coverage through the media, which means that you don't actually know what economics is and are not qualified to comment meaningfully on it.

You can bloviate, but until you know what it is, your opinions are meaningless. But look! You have this amazing tool, right under your very fingertips! What could it be? How could you use it to learn something, to inform your opinion before spouting it?

We just don't know. It's a mystery.
No, you've assumed that my knowledge of economics comes from mass media, but nothing of the sort has been established. Instead, you've demonstrated a willingness to draw conclusions without a solid basis and to act like you understand something you have no direct knowledge of.

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 22, 2015, 01:21:19 PM
Hasn't the GOP since the start of Reagan proven that there's no need to look at your predictions to see if they came true as long as you can pretend they did, or blame the other guy when you can't even pretend?

No, just saying that actually showing predictions to be true or false is something that is ignored in politics today, and most of what you hear regarding economist is political in nature unless you're in the financial industry yourself.

I'm sorry, did you mean something else when you said this?
Well, what I didn't mean, and what I didn't say (because it's not true) is that my knowledge of economics comes from political reporting. What I was doing was drawing a connection between economics and politics, due to how deeply the two are merged here in the US.
My balls itch...

LMNO

The connection is that politicians and pundits use poor economic models to justifiy their economic programs.

Again, the analogy is that of Dr Oz using bad science to justify his latest scheme fad diet.

Rev Thwack

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 23, 2015, 01:52:13 PM
The connection is that politicians and pundits use poor economic models to justifiy their economic programs.

Again, the analogy is that of Dr Oz using bad science to justify his latest scheme fad diet.
I've seen an equally large number of economists use their political beliefs as backing for their economic models which conflict with evidence, as well as using the same political ideology to financially profit off of these flawed models/theories.

When you've got economists like Block & Bourdeaux who use untested and unsupported theories to make political claims, when you have things like the Austrian school which works to avoid the scientific method and falsifiable claims, how can you view it as a science?
My balls itch...

LMNO

If an "economist" starts with an ideological conclusion, they're not being economists, they're being pundits.

It's simply not science if you begin with a conclusion and backfill from there.  You know this.

I think you're mixing up economics with people who call themselves economists.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 23, 2015, 03:59:06 PM
If an "economist" starts with an ideological conclusion, they're not being economists, they're being pundits.

It's simply not science if you begin with a conclusion and backfill from there.  You know this.

But if they're publicly visible and politically affiliated, they must represent the academic field.

Logic!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The existence of bad economists means that it must follow that all economists are bad and the field of economics is invalid, because science and reasons.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Rev Thwack

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 23, 2015, 04:02:48 PM

But if they're publicly visible and politically affiliated, they must represent the academic field.

Logic!
Bourdeaux teaches at George Mason, was the chair there from '01-'09, and has also taught at Clemson.

Block is the chair at Loyola, and has taught at Central Arkansas, Holy Cross, Baruch, and Rutgers.

There are degrees in the Austrian school at  University of Missouri, George Mason, University of Chicago, North Central, and North Carolina, just to name a few places in the US.

How is it wrong to say this school isn't part of economics? What credentials does an individual need to count as an economists if these professors do not?
My balls itch...

The Johnny

Dog is man's best friend.
A dog bit me.
That dog isnt really a dog cause it bit me and isnt my best friend.

:C
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev Thwack on June 23, 2015, 04:42:07 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 23, 2015, 04:02:48 PM

Logic!
Bourdeaux teaches at George Mason, was the chair there from '01-'09, and has also taught at Clemson.

Block is the chair at Loyola, and has taught at Central Arkansas, Holy Cross, Baruch, and Rutgers.

There are degrees in the Austrian school at  University of Missouri, George Mason, University of Chicago, North Central, and North Carolina, just to name a few places in the US.

How is it wrong to say this school isn't part of economics? What credentials does an individual need to count as an economists if these professors do not?

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 23, 2015, 04:04:53 PM
The existence of bad economists means that it must follow that all economists are bad and the field of economics is invalid, because science and reasons.