News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

I quit smoking today

Started by EK WAFFLR, February 01, 2013, 02:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on August 04, 2015, 01:41:39 AM
Maybe a stupid question - but are vaporizers and e-cigs the same thing?

Yes, unless people are referring to a different kind of vaporizer, like the ones that are for smoking the pots.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

My doctor got Nigeled.   :lulz:

According to the CDC, the risks of e-cigs consist of:  Unknown, none proven.

I am gonna give that man a ration of shit.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 04, 2015, 01:55:29 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 04, 2015, 01:37:03 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 03, 2015, 07:25:12 PM
FWIW I know both of the researchers who are frequently cited for their research in e-cig safety, and they are emphatic that even though there are health risks with e-cigs they are absolutely vastly dwarfed by the known dangers of smoking real cigarettes.

According to my doctor, vaporizers are linked to cardiopulmonary disease, but with about 3% the incidence rate of cigarettes.

Well, there is so far exactly zero conclusive research indicating that, but there is some preliminary research indicating an increased risk of atherosclerosis. Nicotine itself is a pretty toxic substance (and not in a "ZOMG TOXINS!" way) so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some deleterious effects from vaping. Definitely still much better than cigarettes, though.

I would figure that we won't have conclusive information on the effects of vaporizers for at least a few decades, since they're still fairly new. Additionally, a lot of people using them have history of smoking, so linking vaping to cardiopulmonary disease is confounded by that.

So really, people of all types should vape it up, because we need DATA, damn it!

rong

e cig paraphernalia has been ordered.  if i did my research right, and i can successfully get off "analog" cigs, i'm gonna save a fuckload of money so i got that going for me too
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on August 05, 2015, 03:34:46 AM
e cig paraphernalia has been ordered.  if i did my research right, and i can successfully get off "analog" cigs, i'm gonna save a fuckload of money so i got that going for me too

It costs me about a buck a day.
Molon Lube

rong

I am anticipating similar results. 

there's so many damn flavors, it's hard to decide where to even begin.  i chose three different ones to start.  a normal "tobacco" flavor, a chocolate/coffee and a vanilla/caramel type thing if memory serves.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on August 05, 2015, 06:01:30 AM
I am anticipating similar results. 

there's so many damn flavors, it's hard to decide where to even begin.  i chose three different ones to start.  a normal "tobacco" flavor, a chocolate/coffee and a vanilla/caramel type thing if memory serves.

Flavors don't always work out well.

I use unflavored.  Less chance of inhaling blueberry fucking bubblegum that's been in someone's pants.
Molon Lube

rong

e cig paraphernalia should be waiting for me in my mailbox when i get home.

wish me luck

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on August 11, 2015, 12:24:09 AM
e cig paraphernalia should be waiting for me in my mailbox when i get home.

wish me luck

Good luck.

If you'll take my advice, you'll ONLY use the e-cigs.  If you use cigs too, eventually all you use is cigs.
Molon Lube

rong

point heard, acknowledged, considered and taken

rong

24 hrs with no regular cigs.  I wouldnt say so far so good but I haven't killed anybody.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on August 13, 2015, 03:12:56 AM
24 hrs with no regular cigs.  I wouldnt say so far so good but I haven't killed anybody.

Within a week, you'll wonder what the fuss was about.  And you'll be glad you switched.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

I bought a new tank. Kangertech SubOhm mini. I had to drastically cut the nicotine in the juice because it gives so much steam.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

rong

Day 4 with no regular cigs.  Still not great but easily tolerable.

I have gone from missing and craving old school cigs to thinking if I had one it would be "dirty" and "uncivilized"

So far have opted not to "prove myself right"

My battery is 1000mAh and seems to be taking about 12 hrs before the battery meter drops away from showing fully charged so I don't think I'm "chain vaping" too badly.

T5 juice started giving me a headache but after going back to the flavored stuff I started with I'm feeling much better. 

Shit makes me thirsty though - drinking more water is a plus, right?

I've also been able to not "vape" in the places I never smoked.  I think that's an important boundary to maintain.

The biggest hurdle, which I find terribly ironic, is that "vaping" feels "silly" and is a little embarrassing - you know, cuz smoking cigarettes just makes so much more sense  :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on August 16, 2015, 02:26:48 AM
Day 4 with no regular cigs.  Still not great but easily tolerable.

I have gone from missing and craving old school cigs to thinking if I had one it would be "dirty" and "uncivilized"

So far have opted not to "prove myself right"

My battery is 1000mAh and seems to be taking about 12 hrs before the battery meter drops away from showing fully charged so I don't think I'm "chain vaping" too badly.

T5 juice started giving me a headache but after going back to the flavored stuff I started with I'm feeling much better. 

Shit makes me thirsty though - drinking more water is a plus, right?

I've also been able to not "vape" in the places I never smoked.  I think that's an important boundary to maintain.

The biggest hurdle, which I find terribly ironic, is that "vaping" feels "silly" and is a little embarrassing - you know, cuz smoking cigarettes just makes so much more sense  :lulz:

Yeah, smoking at that point would have been cheap, for me.

And yes.  Lots and lots of water.
Molon Lube