News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Reply to Emo Thread

Started by Cait M. R., December 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: dimo on December 23, 2009, 10:43:22 PM

Say what you will, but this is pretty hot (the hair, that is. The retardedly huge fake eyelashes are no good). If only there were natural pink-heads.

Quote from: NotPublished on December 23, 2009, 10:52:16 PM
I would say thats Punk

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

:crankey:

maphdet

Quote from: Hangshai on December 24, 2009, 04:09:39 AM
Ill take this over that any day.  Classic beauty is underrated.

Either her or the below:

Classic to it's finest. (but then it's all about a matter of taste)
*loves the above pic*

Ok thinks this is a hijack-apologies.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Cait M. R.

Quote from: LMNO on December 24, 2009, 01:31:31 PM
Quote from: dimo on December 23, 2009, 10:43:22 PM

Say what you will, but this is pretty hot (the hair, that is. The retardedly huge fake eyelashes are no good). If only there were natural pink-heads.

I would say thats Punk

I'll help. Unlike you (I'm assuming, anyway), I'm not particularly insulted by the comparison. On the other hand, the ignorance is intolerable.

I badly want to go into a long and detailed history of what brought about scene now, and how it's only connection to punk is the very tenuous and indirect one of pop-punk. (I.e., only by vague association with something related in name only.) But I don't think anyone cares, 'cept me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hangshai on December 24, 2009, 04:09:39 AM
Ill take this over that any day.  Classic beauty is underrated.

Little too skinny for my taste, but very nice looking.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 24, 2009, 07:17:52 PM
Little too skinny for my taste, but very nice looking.

True, Scarlett Johansen was way better looking with just a little more to her.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Freeky

I don't have a picture of her, but I have a friend with three toungue rings and various facial piercings. It works for her.

:fap:

President Television

Quote from: Felix on December 24, 2009, 07:27:09 AM
I'd never wear a ring for it, but sometimes facial piercings, tattoos, dyed hair, and fake eyelashes are kinda hot.  ON the right person.

Felix,
Nothing more to add. 

I see what you did there, you sly boots.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

NotPublished

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 24, 2009, 07:15:50 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 24, 2009, 01:31:31 PM
I would say thats Punk
I'll help. Unlike you (I'm assuming, anyway), I'm not particularly insulted by the comparison. On the other hand, the ignorance is intolerable.

I badly want to go into a long and detailed history of what brought about scene now, and how it's only connection to punk is the very tenuous and indirect one of pop-punk. (I.e., only by vague association with something related in name only.) But I don't think anyone cares, 'cept me.

Well, what is it then?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Cait M. R.

Scene is, like goth and emo, two seperate but related things: a musical style and a fashion style.* Neither of these have a simple definition, or even something you could kind of force them into.

Scene fashion is primarily a mix of 80's fashion (especially glam), an offshoot of rave fashion known as "cyberkid" (a mix of the ever-popular "candy raver" style and cybergoth), and prep fashion. The only connection between scene and emo is the hair, and that's even seperated by a tendency for brightly colored styles. It doesn't really fit neatly in any category. (You could make an argument for it being a sort of neo-glam, but that's the best I got.)

Scene music. Oh boy. Where do I start? Alright... Scene music is, at its core, three genres mixed together. Post-hardcore in the vein of "screamo" (which I refer to as altcore, to distinguish it from the original early-to-mid 90's screamo which sounds NOTHING like it), late 90's alt-rock (especially pop-punk and powerpop) and "rave"** music.

The mixture of the first two by themselves defined emo's music (mostly), and scene pretty much swallowed emo music alive (all scene kids like The Used) and mixed in rave. Big, heaping helpings of rave. I have a theory that it was started by pissed-off ravers after they lost their entire subculture to dubstep. Whatever happened, immediately after this, scene music split into 4 camps. I'll refer to them as "gangsta", "hardcore", "prep" and "traditional".

Gangsta scene is the mixture of scene music with gangsta rap, RnB, more rave (!) and 90's hard rock (better known as nu metal or mallcore), and the infamous crunkcore is a more specific offshoot of this. Hardcore scene went for extreme metal, and singlehandedly invented deathcore. Prep scene completely devoured and replaced the genres of pop punk and powerpop. Traditional scene just kept doing what it was doing. Great examples of each are Hollywood Undead, A Day To Remember, Forever the Sickest Kids and Asking Alexandria, respectively.

What's the point of explaining this? To show you why I can't just answer "what is it?" No one explanation suits all cases, or even a majority of popular cases. Kill Paradise, for example, is scene, and they have no rock in their music at all, or even any alt-rock influence in the vocals. There's even instrumental chiptune artists whose music is scene. (Seriously.) The best you can do is just put it in its own category for now and hope someday it starts making sense.

* Scene fashion and scene music are actually more unconnected than the others. Most scene kids and musicians ignore scene fashion altogether and still call themselves scene.
** Rave is not actually a genre. I refer here to the Holy Trinity of The Rave: vocal trance, happy hardcore, hard house.
*** Yes, I wrote this on Christmas morning. That should tell you how awesome my Christmas was.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Who the fuck fucking even cares about this shit? Do we look 12?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Go to Burning Man, eat a dick. Whatever. Seriously.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

WHITE CHOCOLATE GANGSTA EMO SCENE* PUNK NEOVISIGOTH SKA PREPPY HIPPY STONER SKATER OR GTFO.

*OR LANDSCAPE IF THAT IS YOUR THING.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

Neo-folk landscape or classic landscape?

Salty

Quote from: Cain on December 25, 2009, 09:18:37 PM
Neo-folk landscape or classic landscape?

NO ONE "GETS" ME!
*pouts*

Classic.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.