The Best Map

Started by LHX, January 18, 2007, 01:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LHX

The map is not the territory.

The map is never the territory.

Some maps are better than others.

What are the features of the best map?

it might be interesting to use some visual aids in answering this question...

what things do we deal with?
time
space
people
life/living things
symbols
words
robots
Machine

any worthwhile map needs to include all these elements directly or indirectly
neat hell

Jasper

The best map is the one you made yourself, as I'm sure we'll all agree.

But is is possible to actually manufacture a more perfect map than that of experience?

LHX

Quote from: Felix Mackay on January 18, 2007, 02:22:59 AM

But is is possible to actually manufacture a more perfect map than that of experience?

i agree

the individual has to make it for themselves

but there can be shared features
neat hell

Jasper

They have to be, if you're in the same place. 
(Geographical or metaphorical places)
No one's perceptions are that irregular, and still usable.

It's a matter of not audience, but your own ability to see and reason.
You are your own audience with the map.  Write it as such.

LHX

another good observation

key
neat hell

Jasper

Lots of metaphors you can build into this idea.  Maps, keys, cartographers, perspective, experience, exploration.  It seems to be that way with things humans are fascinated with, that the language has a lot woven into those ideas.

The key of the map, as you said.  It's how you mark the map, and what symbols you use and how readily understandable the symbols are.

LHX

no no -- i meant that your observation was a good observation

a key observation

i wasnt talking about map keys - tho it might fit the situation as you say
neat hell

Jasper

:)  I decided to take it both ways and run with it.

Where you been on MSNM, man? 

Jasper

I've tried asking three different times, never get a response. :|

LHX

aint been at home too much
neat hell

Jasper

Cool, it was just curious. 

Bhode_Sativa

Quote from: LHX on January 18, 2007, 02:29:14 AM
Quote from: Felix Mackay on January 18, 2007, 02:22:59 AM

i agree

the individual has to make it for themselves

but there can be shared features

The map symbolism in my mind right now equates to "those reactions to outside circumstances/situations in conjunction with usual attitudes/perspectives that derive from previous information/experiences and current moods."  If this is different from what you meant, I ask for clarification.

The only times I've been able to "shortcut" my own experiential map to include more information is through books authored by people who have done more personal experience of their own in whatever field, and through the advice of people I can identify with and whose judgments I can trust (through past track record of experience following prediction).

As for the Best Map, I'd say that my personal Best Possible Map would differ widely from an outside observer's optimum for me.  Also, the criteria of a Best Map would have to change to fit the requirements of the moment, lending itself to adaptability and encouraging the broadest possible range of information/experience.

LHX

Quote from: Bhode_Sativa on January 18, 2007, 05:42:53 AM
The map symbolism in my mind right now equates to "those reactions to outside circumstances/situations in conjunction with usual attitudes/perspectives that derive from previous information/experiences and current moods."  If this is different from what you meant, I ask for clarification.

The only times I've been able to "shortcut" my own experiential map to include more information is through books authored by people who have done more personal experience of their own in whatever field, and through the advice of people I can identify with and whose judgments I can trust (through past track record of experience following prediction).

As for the Best Map, I'd say that my personal Best Possible Map would differ widely from an outside observer's optimum for me.  Also, the criteria of a Best Map would have to change to fit the requirements of the moment, lending itself to adaptability and encouraging the broadest possible range of information/experience.

be careful -- a lot of the things you are describing are the type of things that (technically speaking) could fit on to a map

for example - you could have a map that includes a function that defaults to another map under certain situations (like the example you gave about using the maps of more experienced people)

your map could also have a timing/situational/adaptational element to it

dont limit yourself
neat hell

Jasper

The way B_S talks of these more experienced people puts me in mind of Dr. John Lilly's work with LSD.  Do I guess correctly?

Bhode_Sativa

Mostly I was referring to the identification with characters/situations in novels, along with an almost faith-like acceptance of textbook information (because of the conditioning of the educational system), and a buildup of credibility given to the advice of my father, who has time and time again been able to understand my own unique approach to things and point me in directions that save me hassle later on, or would have, had I paid attention and been able to internalize/conceptualize the lessons beyond the words.  I'm not familiar with Lilly's work, but I seem to recall reading something in connection with Richard Feynman and sense depo tanks.