News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Reply to Emo Thread

Started by Cait M. R., December 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
What the hell ever happened to just wearing blue jeans?

Slim cut, boot cut, straight cut, stone-washed or vintage?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 17, 2009, 10:45:49 PM

Or Allele?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

I like boot cut.....they are all flappy when I walk.... :oops:

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 06:43:56 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 04:33:40 PM
What Roger, Pixie, & Pent said.

What's funny is that when I was a kid, the in-thing was to claim you weren't part of a scene, because you and your friends were individuals and did your own thing. We even (thought we) made up a humorous name for ourselves, "disco dykes". It's only in retrospect that I could look back and go, oh, we were just another pack of club kids. Pass the ecstasy and the fabulous gender ambiguity, please.   :lulz:

If you're curious, those people are now called "Lady Gaga fans".

I noticed!  :lulz: And many of my old friends (and me!) adore Lady Gaga. We're all too old to do gender ambiguity anymore, because middle-aged people get fat and hairy and large-assed.

My schtick, back in the day, was dressing like a boy dressed like a girl. I was fabulous, and I didn't count my night a success if I didn't get told that I was "so real" and make out with at least one straight girl who thought she was making out with a tranny. Back when I thought gender-bending was something other than a totally irritating cliche.

Oh, foolish youth!

I don't know whether this post makes me feel  :D or  :sad:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on December 17, 2009, 10:55:56 PM

You just want Bell Bottoms but are too scared ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 17, 2009, 10:58:27 PM

Whats the difference between bell bottoms and boot cut?

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Kai on December 17, 2009, 10:59:51 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 17, 2009, 10:58:27 PM

Whats the difference between bell bottoms and boot cut?

you can hide a small puppy under a bellbottom leg. you cannot with bootcut.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on December 17, 2009, 10:57:39 PM

What's funny is that when I was a kid, the in-thing was to claim you weren't part of a scene, because you and your friends were individuals and did your own thing. We even (thought we) made up a humorous name for ourselves, "disco dykes". It's only in retrospect that I could look back and go, oh, we were just another pack of club kids. Pass the ecstasy and the fabulous gender ambiguity, please.   :lulz:

I noticed!  :lulz: And many of my old friends (and me!) adore Lady Gaga. We're all too old to do gender ambiguity anymore, because middle-aged people get fat and hairy and large-assed.

My schtick, back in the day, was dressing like a boy dressed like a girl. I was fabulous, and I didn't count my night a success if I didn't get told that I was "so real" and make out with at least one straight girl who thought she was making out with a tranny. Back when I thought gender-bending was something other than a totally irritating cliche.

Oh, foolish youth!

Awwww!

All I can tell you is that it seemed radical and meaningful when I was young. As I grew older, I realized that just having a functional body was pretty rad, and that trying to blur the lines between what was already an arbitrary set of genes chosen by chance by nature was kind of meaningless.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like boot cut because they fit over my boots.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

I prefer boot cut because then I can actually walk without the leg holes getting stuck on my calves and irritating me.

Kai

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 17, 2009, 11:51:21 PM
Quote from: Kai on December 17, 2009, 10:57:39 PM

Oh, foolish youth!

Awwww!

All I can tell you is that it seemed radical and meaningful when I was young. As I grew older, I realized that just having a functional body was pretty rad, and that trying to blur the lines between what was already an arbitrary set of genes chosen by chance by nature was kind of meaningless.

I guess my reasons are different. Still really cool that you did that when you were younger. A regular genderfuck.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM
The only real thing attitude-wise that they all shared was the dreaded Special Snowflake syndrome, where they were all, if not the most important people in the world, at least entitled to whatever the hell they wanted. They never really flipped out or anything if they didn't get their way, but they sure bitched about it a lot. It was the main reason I didn't become a part of that group fully
Unbound and unrealistic entitlement; childish narcissism.

I guess if that's the problem JohNyx has with them, that's great because no one likes a whiner. But I got the impression that his worst problem with them was that instead of doing something about what bothered them, they just sort of bitched about it and kept living. Considering the things being bitched about, I'm personally happy that they just kept living their lives. I can't imagine any good coming from an indignant 15 year old trying to show his mom what's what for not getting him an iPod.
Yea, whining instead of taking action; on that 15 year old wanting an iPod, perhaps instead of bugging its parents, it could get money by doing neighborhood chores or getting a part time job (if its allowed, idk about laws regarding that where you live).

To conclude, JohNyx fucked up by (from what I gathered) trying to view emo through the same lens as punk and goth: as a counterculture. And it just isn't a counterculture, it doesn't even try to look like one. It's a bunch of teenagers who want to look cool while swinging their egos around, and that's really it.
If its not a "counter-culture", what category/designation would you give it? Not to make a big deal about semantics, but to clarify and understand your posture.

I will admit I'm speaking entirely from personal experience in a very small segment of Western Pennsylvania, and that said experience is probably atypical. But somehow I doubt that emos ANYWHERE are pretending to give a shit about politics or the state of the world or really much of anything. The very name of the subculture (emo, from emotional) implies getting hyped up about just about everything. And all the little slights leave very little emotional energy to give a shit about civilization sliding into the gutter.
Its very valid to say its not universal behaviour what i meant, it is great geographical distances after all. I dont remember if i wrote of them caring much about "big issues" or "trivial day-to-day issues", but my point was regarding the bitching instead of taking action.

EDIT: I mentioned "discontent" which to me doesnt imply care about "big issues" but i guess it could be read that way, but that wasnt my intention (dissatisfaction). And the description of your acquaintances that i deem "childish narciccism" goes along with what i had named "regressive" in nature.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: Z³ on December 17, 2009, 07:48:22 PM
The people who feel they have to belong to something in order to be comfortable are weak and truly alone.

I think that everyone is alone in some sense, but dressing up and doing stuff just to fit into any group that deviates from your personal quirks, is just fooling oneself to believe one is not alone.*

*Fuck my grammar
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 17, 2009, 08:08:59 PM
...I'm one of the only people on Earth who honestly enjoys the fashion....

... almost all of the people are enormous self-important douchebags...
A small jest :lulz:

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 17, 2009, 08:08:59 PMAlso, for those who read too far into my making no immediate distinction between scene and emo, there is a HUGE difference. For one, scene music is everything ever smashed into one damn genre. Glam rock, pop-punk, hardcore punk, hip-hop, rave, FUCKING CHIPTUNES -- I've heard all of them together in one song before. I may have to grab an example at some point, because it's fucking great.

Theres some stuff in the "Musical Atrocities" thread of Apple Talk... i dont recall the name... NYC-something  (BrokeNYC, check youtube) that does those types of fusions if i dont misinterpret what you are saying.

-B.F. Skinner

Cait M. R.

BrokeNCYDE do SOME of those but they don't hit all of them (for example, no glam, no chiptunes, no pop-punk guitars). I'm talking about bands that hit every single genre I listed in a single song. Blood on the Dance Floor comes close, but they've never hit chiptunes.

Also, the bit you noticed was going on the assumption that these kids only like the fashion because it helps them fit in. It was a generalization, I realize that. I'm sure quite a few people in the group got in because they enjoyed it, and there's probably even a significant number of them somewhere who didn't have their egos pumped so full of wank that they could flatten entire civilizations by swinging them around. I haven't met those ones yet, though.