News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

WorryGASM

Started by Jasper, September 27, 2010, 09:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Inspired by:

http://picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=18

I think you know what this entails.  Worrying memos, notes, and letters from nobody.  Because if we can make stressful things absurd enough to laugh at, that is a win.

Also:  What else should I add here?

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

I worry about jams which potentially make people's day worse. My least favorite one line meme bomb is "Your wife is cheating on you." -- it doesn't improve the world at all to make everybody paranoid and stressed out.

Jasper

That's why the worry notes have to be completely unsigned, and apparently apropos of nothing.  This would not be the sort of thing you do to people who are worried about losing their job.

It would be perfect for coworkers who are perfectionists, o can't take criticism.

Nast

Quote from: Sigmatic on September 27, 2010, 03:53:31 PM
That's why the worry notes have to be completely unsigned, and apparently apropos of nothing.  This would not be the sort of thing you do to people who are worried about losing their job.

It would be perfect for coworkers who are perfectionists, o can't take criticism.

Doesn't everyone worry about losing their job?

I agree with Cram that spreading paranoia and negativity isn't good. There's enough of that in the world.

However, I like the idea of making stressful things absurd enough too laugh at. The worrisome statements should be tweaked in some way as to make them silly, or at least dissonant.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Yeah, working on that.

So these are notes that are aimed at mocking worry itself.

They have to contain some kind of sanction message (This is not how we do things, etc.), yet be inexplicable enough so that they notice it's a put-on before any damage is done.

Touchy.  I don't really have a workplace that I go to (I clean), so I can't really test things out in the idealized setting.  Maybe this can work "in the wild", so to speak. 

I have an idea.  Leave a post-it note on a bus stop sign, reading:  "You should know better.  See me."

Thoughts?

tyrannosaurus vex

i cannot create this, but

VIDEO SEQUENCE:
First person perspective. You are walking down the street. People everywhere are giving you dirty looks. Sneering at you. Hiding their children behind them. Crossing the street so they don't have to walk near you.

You check your phone. Focus on the time. Flash to some other brief sequence that explains you are late for an exam at school. You pick up your pace. Maybe you can hear your breathing getting faster.

People now seem even more  unnerved by you. What is wrong with them? Check your pants - present. And clean. Check your coat - also clean, and undamaged. Why are they freaking out?

A few guys up ahead on the sidewalk decide to block your path. WTF? As you approach, they puff out their chests and stiffen up, but eventually allow a break for you to pass through. One of them spits on you as you walk past. What the hell was that about? You're just trying to get to class! Maybe there's something on your face.

Passing by a reflective window, you stop to inspect yourself to see what everyone else is so put off by. You can't see anything.

Oh, wait. That's right.

You're an Arab.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Jasper

Interesting.

Uncomfortable.