News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Anybody know something about OBE / Astral yadda yadda?

Started by Ixxie, August 26, 2013, 06:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ixxie on August 26, 2013, 09:26:07 PM
As for TGRR - he seems to suffer from post trollmatic stress disorder and cockholm syndrome...... I am always grateful for more data on the rueful state of human culture and intelligence. Luckily I am wearing my Anti-Troll Spray™ today!  :fap:

Well, I could dress it up in fancy terms, but the actual diagnosis is "obnoxious dick".  And I wish you'd stop being so insensitive about my insensitivity.  I mean, is it MY fault that I wasn't born with Gandhi jammed up every orifice?  No.  It is not.

QuoteI figure the put on the Apple board because while this cites a scientific paper, its discusses an innovation in a technique that was traditionally used in mystical traditions and is thousands of years old.

Tens of thousands, I'd argue.  Human wiring has never quite been up to code.

QuoteAdmittedly I could have been more elaborate in explaining my position, but really I cannot understand how Discordians could be so seemingly afraid of a word - which might have been abused by a number of idiots - but still has such wonderful poetic and historical meaning that its a shame to drop it from our vocabulary just because 'its unscientific'.

I know some guys at the institute for intelligent design that would agree with that line of thinking.

QuoteIf we let stupidity on the part of others restrict on semantics we might as well opt to switching to klingon (although even this choice is questionable). I don't have to urge to create a strict conceptual separation between the rigor of science and the elegance of mystical metaphor - I can bridge both with out a problem (cf. the Non-Dualism of Disciplinary Distinction).

And there's the problem.  I am hopelessly mired in Cartesian Duality.

QuoteYeah - I have a little hippie blood in me - and I am proud of it. The movement has its nativity - but has done much more for society than you seem to give credit, and certainly shares a phylogeny with PD.

Um, yeah.  Ask ECH (Currently under the moniker of Balls Wellington).  He's a patchouli-stinking, granola-crunching hippie, and he owns the fucking joint.  I have tried for YEARS to get him off the bus, but he has never listened.  It's always "peace pot and microdot" with that assmonkey.

QuoteIn the spirit of Hagbard's heuristic of 'True communication is only possible between Equals', would it not be nice to have the null-hypothesis in the average social encounter be intelligence? Could we not be Competent until proven Idiotic? Could we not rule out differing semantics and syntax as a cause for disagreement before assuming a conceptual conflict? Probably not, on the internet. I have my ideas about why (what an ironic paradox that what should have been our most powerful tool became our greatest weakness....)

Thing is, we're all equals here.  Everyone is (Except Delcon, but that's a whole different kettle of fish).  We even let GERMANS post here, for Chrissakes.  From a "what you are allowed to post" point of view, there is no difference between an admin and the newest user we have.

But that is not meant to say that everyone is going to AGREE with you or BE NICE about things, because the right to be a complete jackass about things is ALSO part of being equal. 

And I assume that ALL humans, myself included, are COMPLETE DUMBASSES. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on August 26, 2013, 09:51:38 PM

:enough:

Ixxie, just don't say I didn't warn you  :p

Are you trying to say something, Professor?  That I am perhaps not the most accepting person in the whole world?

I am shocked and offended.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I think my biggest problem with MYSTICAL stuff is that it is the epitome of looking at the world the way you WANT it to be, not the way it actually IS. 

TGRR,
Ripping back the vinyl is MY Discordia.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 26, 2013, 08:53:46 PM
QuoteHe might require a dose of the PD-style Discordia, but he's good people so please give it to him slowly ;-)
Ruins the effect.  It's like being run over by a steamroller.  Slowly is WORSE.

:potd: :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ixxie does seem like a pretty weird guy but if you, Cram and regret think he's an alright dude, I'll adjust to his oddness, and try to figure out where he's coming from.

ETA: I've had no reason to dislike him so far.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 01:50:24 AM
Ixxie does seem like a pretty weird guy but if you, Cram and regret think he's an alright dude, I'll adjust to his oddness, and try to figure out where he's coming from.

Well, he IS Belgian...

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 01:53:07 AM

Well, he IS Belgian...

Yeah but so is Waffles. But he is Northest Belgianese...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 01:59:32 AM

Well, he IS Belgian...

Waffles is a special case.  He's like one of those Rottweilers that eat babies.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 02:00:18 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 01:59:32 AM

Well, he IS Belgian...

Waffles is a special case.  He's like one of those Rottweilers that eat babies.

:lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

He seems fine

mostly so far I just ignore him because all he's posted has been drugs and woo. I wasn't even going to look at this thread for that reason.

As long as he keeps his woo out of my threads and doesn't post anything flashy I probably won't Be a Bad Person at him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 02:39:21 AM

He seems fine

mostly so far I just ignore him because all he's posted has been drugs and woo. I wasn't even going to look at this thread for that reason.

As long as he keeps his woo out of my threads and doesn't post anything flashy I probably won't Be a Bad Person at him.

The one thing I have is that he seems to be missing my points here and there, for example, my confusion with him trying to fit Zoroastrian duality in with Discordian duality, and that I don't necessarily approve of patchwork spirituality if the pieces don't fit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:51:47 AM
Quote from: Surprise Happy Endings Whether You Want Them Or Not on August 27, 2013, 02:39:21 AM

He seems fine

The one thing I have is that he seems to be missing my points here and there, for example, my confusion with him trying to fit Zoroastrian duality in with Discordian duality, and that I don't necessarily approve of patchwork spirituality if the pieces don't fit.

He's European.  Their entire culture is patchwork.  You have to make allowances.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2013, 02:52:51 AM
Quote from: Aloha Ackbar on August 27, 2013, 02:51:47 AM

He seems fine

He's European.  Their entire culture is patchwork.  You have to make allowances.

Fair point.

Ixxie

I think I will like it here.

I will concede on TGRR's points, but they don't have much baring as far as I am concerned. Sure I will grant everybody has the right to behave in any way they want, but not everybody chooses to stay in the lowest denominator (although that is a holy place to be of course).

Aloha - I was not trying to fit Zoroasterism in with Discordianism - I wrote explicitly I know almost nothing about it and what I did hear of it made me think it was Dualistic. I believe I was corrected on that point.

I will park my sailing boat on the roof.
"In Shadow - we find the Light - Safely Sealed in Darkest Night, so make Sure Ya'll Keep it Tight. Wizards Only - Fools!"