News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

So my most recent ex is getting married...

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, March 20, 2015, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

... and aside from the fact that she and I are still friends and the ambiguity of my invite (matter of number and invites, plus groom's comfort)....

She asked me for input on the musical selection. I made some facetious as well as some serious input, but at the end of the day, I realized that a lot of the music I listen to, is, well, ambiguously appropriate at best.

This left me with the odd realization, "what the hell are we going to listen to at my own wedding, when it eventually happens?"

Irish music is like country music in this regard. Starts off good but, goddamn.

Heavy metal?

lol, you gotta work with Motorhead at best.

I guess this is coming up because all of the hurdles that were in place between Villager and I getting married are now gone, excepting me finishing college, since I'll probably propose to her not long after I get my bachelor's. We've even figured out the where to live. Massachusetts, just not Boston.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, feel free to suggest music by proxy.

Q. G. Pennyworth

My ex and his wife did a lot of string covers of metal songs for their reception, dunno if that works?

Good luck with the Major Life Changes ahead.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 20, 2015, 02:35:26 AM
My ex and his wife did a lot of string covers of metal songs for their reception, dunno if that works?

Good luck with the Major Life Changes ahead.

It's funny because I'm not sure why Allison asked for my musical input. I did suggest a metal version of "Kiss From A Rose", but with explicit  preference for the original. I also suggested the "Klingon Style" parody of "Gangnam Style" (I am, after all, kind of a cartoon character). It was an interesting conversation over the past couple of weeks, since, well, awkwardness. Not between her and I, but with her and Villager and her guy and I. Even weirder because our mutual friend is officiating, but now she's reluctant about it because she's an atheist and our friend is a Christian minister, and he was like, "I don't know how to do a secular wedding"

Nephew Twiddleton

Pæs

We went primarily with string covers of the less appropriate songs we would play.

Basically a ton of these guys: https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialVSQ

Nephew Twiddleton

The idea of string covers is growing on me.

Also, this is getting pretty real for me. I just realized that I spent the last half hour thinking about bringing Villager to Ireland to introduce her to dad and grandpa.

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Mostly because I don't know how to introduce her to grandpa. That's not a small thing. Not the fact that I want to introduce her to him, but that it's him.

LMNO

Our processional/recessional was a live dixieland band.

Our reception was iPod: rat pack-ish stuff, and some bossa nova.

"Our" wedding song was Tom Waits' "Nobody", as in "Nobody will ever love you... The way that I love you... 'Cuz nobody's that strong..."

The father/daughter song WAS NOT PICKED BY EITHER MYSELF OR MY WIFE.  It was that horrible and creepy "I Loved Her First."  If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and do not google.

The dancing was a mixture of our favorites, and guest input by way of their RSVP cards having a space to request a song.  Huge mixture of styles, with at least one song at least one person would want to dance to.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on March 20, 2015, 02:29:22 AM
... and aside from the fact that she and I are still friends and the ambiguity of my invite (matter of number and invites, plus groom's comfort)....

She asked me for input on the musical selection. I made some facetious as well as some serious input, but at the end of the day, I realized that a lot of the music I listen to, is, well, ambiguously appropriate at best.

This left me with the odd realization, "what the hell are we going to listen to at my own wedding, when it eventually happens?"

Irish music is like country music in this regard. Starts off good but, goddamn.

Heavy metal?

lol, you gotta work with Motorhead at best.

I guess this is coming up because all of the hurdles that were in place between Villager and I getting married are now gone, excepting me finishing college, since I'll probably propose to her not long after I get my bachelor's. We've even figured out the where to live. Massachusetts, just not Boston.

90's Club/Pop, or 2010's Club/Pop. Euro version though.

LMNO

Heh.  I have a playlist called "This is my JAM!"  It has tracks by:

Salt n Pepa
Wreckx-n-Effect
Naughty By Nature
TLC
Queen Latifah
Black Sheep
MC Lyte
Black Box
Technotronic

etc
etc

It's purpose is, every time a new song comes on, someone is gonna say, "Oh, this is my JAM!"

95% success rate on people over 30, and club queens of any age.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 20, 2015, 11:43:19 AM

The father/daughter song WAS NOT PICKED BY EITHER MYSELF OR MY WIFE.  It was that horrible and creepy "I Loved Her First."  If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and do not google.

Can't be worse than "Daddy's Hands".

Our wedding song was Gerry Rafferty's Right Down the Line.  We had people from 4-90 at the wedding, so we had the DJ put in a suitable mix.  Everything from "The Time Warp" to Glenn Miller tunes.
Molon Lube

trippinprincezz13

Yea that was the Father/Daughter song at the last wedding we went to. Pretty sure the last few. Creepy is right.

I figure I'll just put Pork Soda on loop, and everyone will be happy, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHZ9tGJz_gQ

On a slightly more serious note, no immediate wedding plans so haven't put any real thought into it. We've talked about it....if and when it happens, neither of us inclined to do anything very traditional (I suppose I could play this instead?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQ03rzuK3o) but will likely incorporate Primus, with other music too, so as not to chase away all potential guests.

And congratulations and good luck on your ongoing and impending life changes, Twid!
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Nephew Twiddleton

Our processional/recessional was a live dixieland band.

Our reception was iPod: rat pack-ish stuff, and some bossa nova.

"Our" wedding song was Tom Waits' "Nobody", as in "Nobody will ever love you... The way that I love you... 'Cuz nobody's that strong..."

The dancing was a mixture of our favorites, and guest input by way of their RSVP cards having a space to request a song.  Huge mixture of styles, with at least one song at least one person would want to dance to.

Song request RSVP. Hmm. Also, of course I'm tempted to google now, because you told me I shouldn't.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2015, 02:47:52 PM

Can't be worse than "Daddy's Hands".

Our wedding song was Gerry Rafferty's Right Down the Line.  We had people from 4-90 at the wedding, so we had the DJ put in a suitable mix.  Everything from "The Time Warp" to Glenn Miller tunes.

Daddy's Hands? That sounds really cringey.

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on March 20, 2015, 04:24:26 PM

Yea that was the Father/Daughter song at the last wedding we went to. Pretty sure the last few. Creepy is right.

I figure I'll just put Pork Soda on loop, and everyone will be happy, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHZ9tGJz_gQ

On a slightly more serious note, no immediate wedding plans so haven't put any real thought into it. We've talked about it....if and when it happens, neither of us inclined to do anything very traditional (I suppose I could play this instead?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQ03rzuK3o) but will likely incorporate Primus, with other music too, so as not to chase away all potential guests.

And congratulations and good luck on your ongoing and impending life changes, Twid!

Thanks, Trippin!