News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

the Bowling thread

Started by rong, December 01, 2014, 02:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 01:07:51 PM
I'd just like to point out that I call bowling "the sport of the great unwashed", because I'm better than people.

I thought it was because your people ran out of water a few years back.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 01, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 01:07:51 PM
I'd just like to point out that I call bowling "the sport of the great unwashed", because I'm better than people.

I thought it was because your people ran out of water a few years back.

No, we ran out of AIR.  Water we still have, it's from the Colorado River and is full of those brain-eating amoeba things. 
Molon Lube

Ben Shapiro

Bowling makes my ass bleed.

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 01, 2014, 12:52:28 PM
Dildo The First: The original quote in this thread was in response to a non-sequitur judgement about a false dichotomy between two uses of the word "nerd", one being a derogatory, "out-group" social stigma, and the other being an ironic, "in-group" status marker.  The response itself was a further (self-identified) derailing of the topic, and was one of vague pseudo-sphynx-like truthiness (Colbert definition).

Dildo The Second: An additional false dichotomy was presented when you drew a strict line between enjoying a physical action in isolation versus enjoying a physical action in a social group.

Dildo The Third: The concept of "enjoyment" was assigned a binary position, implying that one either completely enjoyed the physical action, or they didn't; and that one completely enjoyed the social group, or didn't.  There was no room given for varied levels of enjoyment, in various contexts.

Dildo The Fourth: Semantically parsing the word "care", and again taking an extreme binary position that seems to equate caring about something with obsessing over something.

Dildo The Fifth: This post.  It's condescending and fairly pointless, but written at your request, and will doubtlessly generate more posts in this thread, which has been clearly shown to be dildoes.

This seems like as good an analysis as this thread is gonna get.

Or deserves.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2014, 12:31:59 PM
Quote from: rong on December 01, 2014, 05:29:31 AM
maybe the word care means something different to you than it means to me?

i was going with care means "to feel interest in something"   (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/care )

now, that doesn't mean that everything i enjoy is at the forefront of my attention at all times.  but, i'm pretty sure i maintain some level of interest in all things that i enjoy.

ironically, i find myself enjoying this discussion less and less and therefore, caring about it less and less.

would you be interested in arguing about the meaning of semantics instead?

Rong, you are using "care" as a verb in this thread. Most others seem to be using it as a noun.

That may be part of the disconnect.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out how "care" can be a noun.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 02, 2014, 12:16:08 AM

i was going with care means "to feel interest in something"   (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/care )

now, that doesn't mean that everything i enjoy is at the forefront of my attention at all times.  but, i'm pretty sure i maintain some level of interest in all things that i enjoy.

ironically, i find myself enjoying this discussion less and less and therefore, caring about it less and less.

Rong, you are using "care" as a verb in this thread. Most others seem to be using it as a noun.

Quote1care noun \ˈker\
: effort made to do something correctly, safely, or without causing damage

: things that are done to keep someone healthy, safe, etc.

: things that are done to keep something in good condition

Quote2care verb
: to feel interest in something : to be interested in or concerned about something

: to feel affection for someone

: to want to do something or to be something

Both "definitions" we're from Rong's link. I'll admit, I didn't see how it counted as what I was taught a noun is, but there it was.  I went with it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 02, 2014, 01:25:56 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 02, 2014, 12:16:08 AM

Quote1care noun \ˈker\
: effort made to do something correctly, safely, or without causing damage

: things that are done to keep someone healthy, safe, etc.

: things that are done to keep something in good condition

Quote2care verb
: to feel interest in something : to be interested in or concerned about something

: to feel affection for someone

: to want to do something or to be something

Both "definitions" we're from Rong's link. I'll admit, I didn't see how it counted as what I was taught a noun is, but there it was.  I went with it.

I can see why you did, because the link called it a noun, but it seems to be defining a noun as a form of "to do", which is problematic.

rong

Effort is a noun.  The word effort can be substituted for the word care and still maintain meaning.  Care is a noun in the "caregiver" sense.

I like to say verbs are nouns, but nouns aren't verbs.  Words are words, in other words.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on December 02, 2014, 08:36:48 AM
Effort is a noun.  The word effort can be substituted for the word care and still maintain meaning.  Care is a noun in the "caregiver" sense.

I like to say verbs are nouns, but nouns aren't verbs.  Words are words, in other words.

Is fuck also a noun in the "fuckgiver" sense?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here ya go, Rong: http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2014/03/caring.html

QuoteIs "caring" a noun?
MARCH 18TH, 2014
Q: The company I work at lists "caring" as one of its supposed "shared values." The other values ("productivity," "integrity," etc.) are obviously nouns. The word "caring" looks like the odd one out. Sounds awfully, distastefully wrong to me. Am I right?

A: The word "caring" can be a present participle ("He's caring for his sick child"), a participial adjective ("He is a caring person"), or a gerund ("Caring is a full-time job").

Although all three are derived from the verb "care," the present participle is a verb form, the participial adjective is of course an adjective, and the gerund is a noun—technically a verbal noun.

So the gerund "caring" does indeed belong with the other nouns in your company's list of shared values.

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for "caring" as a noun, with examples dating back to the 16th century.

The earliest OED citation is from the English poet Nicholas Grimald's 1556 translation of Cicero's De Officiis: "No painfulness, no diligence, no caring."

A gerund can be a subject, an object, or the principal part of a noun phrase. Although gerunds don't ordinarily have plural forms, plurals are sometimes used ("comings" and "goings," for example).

Gerunds are sometimes referred to as deverbals or deverbatives, as well as verbal nouns or simply nouns. Some are listed in standard dictionaries as nouns and some aren't.

Anyway, so, I was wondering, did you have a point with all of this?

rong

i would say fuck can be a noun - in the sense that you can count how many of them have been given. (usually zero)

i think maybe at one point i had a point.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Perhaps we should talk about the word "enjoy" for a bit.

Demolition Squid

I think we should talk about the word word.

I mean what is a word? A sequence of letters used to denote concepts and convey meaning?

How can you like, categorize a word, man?
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho