News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Cell phone notes from Lake (sort-of-)Solitude

Started by Lenin McCarthy, May 21, 2013, 11:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenin McCarthy

Last night I dreamed that posted a link on Facebook to a song I had written. Lots and lots of people commented, hundreds, many of them I had no idea who were. My dream consisted of just watching the stream of comments coming, some of it read in the voice of those who posted them. Someone made some stupid remark, misogynistic I think, and this was replied to with long angry ranting. This was responded to with more angry ranting. In the end there was lots of caps lock and exclamation marks but no communication. People just shouted their opinions (completely unrelated to my song!) out loud with their ears closed and rode their own personal hobby horses to the brink of death. They didn't notice each other, they didn't notice other people's arguments. It was sad. I choose to interpret this dream as a metaphor for humanity.

Isolation is nice. I like it, though you turn slightly crazy from it. You get a different perspective on how the world works, more unfiltered maybe. You get time to rethink things, think about how you relate to other human beings. I've noticed that I appreciate my interactions with humans a lot more now that I live in this cabin

But even though I enjoy solitude, I also need other people to avoid becoming lonely. Few things make me feel better than good conversations, or even just the quiet presence of another person.

I also need other people there to correct me, because sometimes I'm completely wrong. Many times. Terribly wrong.

It is hereby decreed that:
LIFE is too short and nasty, and the world too full of shit, for good people to be allowed to walk around without being appreciated, without being let to know that they, by existing, make the/my world a little bit warmer, a little bit friendlier and a little bit more beautiful.

THIS DECREE SUPERSEDES ALL SOCIAL ANXIETY

Note to self after today's dinner: Not everything needs to bathe in fat.

The concept of normality is strange.
You can be a huge fucking asshole and still be considered normal. You can wear slightly weird clothes, behave slightly weird, talk slightly weird, look slightly weird and suddenly you're an outsider. It doesn't really surprise me then, that half of Norway seems to be mentally ill at times, when the idea of normality is so narrow that you almost need to be crazy to fit in. We live in an awfully conformist society. I want to fight for a warmer and weirder society with a more inclusive idea of what normality is.

Eurovision. Russia wants us to "bury our guns" LOL

All the children watched the Teletubbies
Except for Serge
He read Apollinaire's Les onze mille verges

There should be scholarships for people who just want to live alone in the woods and drink beer and think about stuff.

(there are a lot more of them, I just have to separate the interesting ones from my attempts at gibberish poetry and thought experiments about sharing a joint with Franz Kafka)

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on May 21, 2013, 11:56:40 PM
LIFE is too short and nasty, and the world too full of shit, for good people to be allowed to walk around without being appreciated, without being let to know that they, by existing, make the/my world a little bit warmer, a little bit friendlier and a little bit more beautiful.

My most successful long-term mindfuck is to be nice to audibly appreciative to waiters, cashiers, call center people, etc. Just because they're being paid to helpful doesn't mean they should be appreciated any less.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on May 24, 2013, 05:28:14 AM

My most successful long-term mindfuck is to be nice to audibly appreciative to waiters, cashiers, call center people, etc. Just because they're being paid to helpful doesn't mean they should be appreciated any less.

YES I like this!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

I do that, too.  It makes them feel better, and it makes ME feel better, and it makes the person in line behind me more likely to do the same thing.
Molon Lube

Left

Yup. 
Funny, I got over social anxiety, now I just have agoraphobia. 
I am no longer thinking"they are laughing at me," I am thinking "They may want to kill me."
This feels like progress. :)

You can be a huge fucking asshole and still be considered normal. You can wear slightly weird clothes, behave slightly weird, talk slightly weird, look slightly weird and suddenly you're an outsider. It doesn't really surprise me then, that half of Norway seems to be mentally ill at times, when the idea of normality is so narrow that you almost need to be crazy to fit in. We live in an awfully conformist society. I want to fight for a warmer and weirder society with a more inclusive idea of what normality is.

I think the majority of people are slightly insane, some just hide it better.
I find being visibly weird a good filtration device.  Basically, all the people who'd reject you anyway when they found out about you can reject you immediately.  It saves time.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 24, 2013, 03:17:29 PM

I do that, too.  It makes them feel better, and it makes ME feel better, and it makes the person in line behind me more likely to do the same thing.

It is awesome and I am 100% in favor. It makes their day a little bit nicer and that is never a bad thing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on May 25, 2013, 05:58:58 AM

Yup. 
Funny, I got over social anxiety, now I just have agoraphobia. 
I am no longer thinking"they are laughing at me," I am thinking "They may want to kill me."
This feels like progress. :)

I think the majority of people are slightly insane, some just hide it better.
I find being visibly weird a good filtration device.  Basically, all the people who'd reject you anyway when they found out about you can reject you immediately.  It saves time.

The majority of people are 100% sane, but they have been led to believe that their completely normal idiosyncracies are somehow abnormal.

Lenin McCarthy

+1000 at being unusually nice to people.

Yesterday I hitchhiked for the first time ever. I like to think I made a lonely 50-something on disability benefits (this is what I imagine he was, I don't know exactly) feel a little bit more useful and appreciated during those 5 kilometres.

Left

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on May 27, 2013, 12:26:21 AM
+1000 at being unusually nice to people.

Yesterday I hitchhiked for the first time ever. I like to think I made a lonely 50-something on disability benefits (this is what I imagine he was, I don't know exactly) feel a little bit more useful and appreciated during those 5 kilometres.

:)
I like to practice random acts of kindness, too. 
I also like to donate  a bag of food to the food bank barrel when having a shitty day.  Makes me feel better.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Lenin McCarthy

If I ever get in a position where I have to write job adverts, I will insist on including "introversion", "sober, realistic outlook on life", "ambivalent relationship to humanity" and "healthy skepticism towards authority figures" in the list of desirable personal qualities.