News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

They really are on to me!

Started by Thelaughingman421, February 19, 2008, 02:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Dammit!  I almost had him.

Laugher, if you're gonna try to do anti-establishment things, the best camoflage is to look like the establishment.  In highschool, I had short hair, and I wore so-called "normal" clothes.

The amount of subversive shit I was able to get away with with no-one suspecting was astounding.

AFK

Yeah, that's pretty much the name of the game.  When you are dealing with people you suspect to be narrowminded you have to recognize what that narrowmindedness entails.  It certainly will entail pegging any shenanigans on the most outlandish personalities they encounter, right or not.  I mean, how many times have you seen a bunch of angry WASPs take on another bunch of WASPs?  Right.  They go after people who don't look or act like them.  Black people, gay people, long-haired people, drugged-up people, etc., etc.,
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysfunctional Cunt

No one ever suspects the honor-roll cheerleader.  She can go out amongst the sheep and lead them astray with no worries......

Oh wait...

Been there done that!

I am still confused as to why it matters if "they" do find out it is you.  What are they going to do?  Make you take the posters down?

Cainad (dec.)

Other than my mutton chops, I look and sound like a tool of the establishment. But on Valentine's Day I put up a bunch of National Loneliness Day posters, which upon closer inspection were a criticism of people who moan about not having a bf/gf on Valentine's Day. The best part was the fact that posters are not allowed at my school unless the Boss-man of student activities approves them first.

LMNO

Quote from: Khara on February 19, 2008, 08:33:40 PM
I am still confused as to why it matters if "they" do find out it is you.  What are they going to do?  Make you take the posters down?

If you can identify and label the perp as a "weirdo", then you can dismiss the message.

Thelaughingman421

Quote from: LMNO on February 19, 2008, 08:39:40 PM
Quote from: Khara on February 19, 2008, 08:33:40 PM

If you can identify and label the perp as a "weirdo", then you can dismiss the message.
And dismissal of the message is the worst fate for the message.

So, trade in the Tripp for Polo, eh?
Use in open areas as fumes may be harmful....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Become a respectable-looking middle-aged mom, then you can get away with anything.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

I was actually just reading about this in book, Pranks 2. There's an interview with the Yes Men where they talk about exactly this... If I remember, I'll scan it and post it tomorrow.

But basically yeah, they say that if you want to fly under the radar and pull off good pranks, you have to look like a member of the establishment.

Dr. Paes

'You want a safe disguise, do you?
You want a dress which will guarantee you harmless; a dress in
which no one would ever look for a bomb?' I nodded. He suddenly
lifted his lion's voice. 'Why, then, dress up as an anarchist, you
fool!' he roared so that the room shook. 'Nobody will ever expect
you to do anything dangerous then.'  - The Man Who Was Thursday.

Just become a joke. Be so ridiculous going about your goals that nobody takes you seriously.
Become the stereotypical angsty pseudo-anarchist kind of teen.
It's how the :fnord: Illuminati :fnord: have survived so long, tell your plan to one nutcase and as soon as he starts spreading it people will assume that it's rubbish.

Verbal Mike

Not sure how well that will work. If you're spreading funny, yet subversive pamphlets, the angsty pseudo-anarchist will still be the immediate suspect.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

LMNO

Pae seems to be indicating a different endgoal.  The fool is rarely suspected of doing something serious (e.g. the class clown doing a major investigative reporting piece on the vagaries of the school budget).

But in this case, the outlandish is immediately suspected of doing something, well, outlandish (e.g. the class clown putting up "have you seen me?" posters about a lost fresh prince of bel aire).

So, yes, Pae is right, in a way.  But not in a way that's useful in this thread.

Thelaughingman421

Stereotypes are annoying, though. And also, being over-the-top ridiculous might also get the message I try to spread discounted as ridiculous as well.

And people already ignore the message as it is
Use in open areas as fumes may be harmful....

Cramulus

a similar suggestion:

If you were one of "them", and you were trying to tell your friends this message, how would you say it? Try to make your "message" sound like it's coming from within the group.

TheLastLump

That's ingenius, Cramulus. Yeah, LaughingMan, if you were to pop up and have anti-subversive stuff in the school newspaper or whatnot ("Beware rebellious activities", etc.) and then had enough info on said rebels that they sounded appealing- or at least warranted investigation by the readers- it may be a successful recruiting measure. After all, so many people do things the Law says not to merely by virtue of it being against the law....
"It's a dog-eat-dog world, Jesus, please holla back..." -The Game

doughboy359: Don't be angry cause you're a heretical pagan, we'll still accept you if you convert. Doughboy, on being a Catholic.

Dr. Paes

Quote from: LMNO on February 20, 2008, 01:29:48 PM

So, yes, Pae is right, in a way.  But not in a way that's useful in this thread.

Hey, no one ever told me my ideas had to be useful...