News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

HELP ME NAME A HUMAN!

Started by East Coast Hustle, December 08, 2015, 12:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

So naming a baby girl is a surprisingly difficult thing. Do we pick a name that honors beloved ancestors (my dad, her grandpa)? Do we pick one that honors our respective heritages (Thai by way of Guam, Mainer by way of the Virgin Islands)? Or that has some meaning we like or that just sounds really cool or that fulfills my arbitrary familial alliterative tendency to give everybody a "J" name?

I mean, what the shit. How do people not spend months paralyzed with anxiety over the power and influence that the name they choose is going to have over their child's entire life?

So, this is the part where I crowdsource a bit with a target audience that I consider to be a bit more of a jury of my peers than I'd get with a facebook post.

Names on the short list so far include:

Joey (current front-runner)
Jazeera
Adelaide
Calypso
Charlotte
Tasi
Isabelle
Nikita
Juno

So I'd love any feedback or suggestions any of you might have, especially any of you who have experienced the agony of having to give your kid a moniker that they're stuck with for life and doubly especially any of you who aren't going to say some dumb shit that isn't funny in a failed attempt to be funny.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really, really, really wanted to name my youngest Walter.

Her father refused.

A second runner-up to the name we gave her was Phaedra.

I really like "Adelaide" and "Charlotte", as I'm a sucker for old-fashioned names, but I also like "Joey" a lot. I have classes with a woman named Gregory and I like traditional men's names for girls.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But just imagine how many interviews she'll get called for with a name like Walter Johnson. That's just a damn solid name. Trustworthy. Competent. Reliable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Adelaide is a beautiful name. Just don't let anyone call her Addy.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2015, 02:00:19 AM
I kinda like Joey.

That's my favorite so far. It leads with the all-important "J" and it honors the 2 most important role models in my life, my dad (John) and my godfather (Whitey). But we have 3 months, so I'm not trying to call a winner yet. And while ECHGF likes that one, she's by no means 100% sold on it.

I really like Charlotte because the capital town on St. Thomas is Charlotte Amalie (named after a Danish queen) but I'm afraid there's gonna be a ton of them now that there's a Princess Charlotte.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on December 08, 2015, 06:17:51 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2015, 02:00:19 AM
I kinda like Joey.

That's my favorite so far. It leads with the all-important "J" and it honors the 2 most important role models in my life, my dad (John) and my godfather (Whitey). But we have 3 months, so I'm not trying to call a winner yet. And while ECHGF likes that one, she's by no means 100% sold on it.

I really like Charlotte because the capital town on St. Thomas is Charlotte Amalie (named after a Danish queen) but I'm afraid there's gonna be a ton of them now that there's a Princess Charlotte.

I'm just thinking that I've only known 2 women named Joey, and they were both absolute bad-asses.

Which ain't a bad thing to be, these days.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 08, 2015, 01:42:23 AM

Her father refused.

I really like "Adelaide" and "Charlotte", as I'm a sucker for old-fashioned names, but I also like "Joey" a lot. I have classes with a woman named Gregory and I like traditional men's names for girls.

I had to think about it for a minute, but I really like Walter for a girl. Particularly, I like Wally for a girl's nickname. I'm going to run it by ECHGF. She's going to give me that look, but whatever. She already shot down Jazeera and that didn't stop me from putting it on my short list.

MMIX

Jeris.

Just a thought. What's she like btw? Its amazing how quickly babies show character.

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

I think Joey is a great name. 

So is Walter.

Cain

I'm a fan of old-fashioned names myself, so my vote goes with Isabelle and Charlotte.  Even when they're not popular, they never go out of fashion.

Freeky

I quite like Tasi and Nikita, but Joey is also really good.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on December 08, 2015, 06:47:48 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 08, 2015, 01:42:23 AM

Her father refused.

I had to think about it for a minute, but I really like Walter for a girl. Particularly, I like Wally for a girl's nickname. I'm going to run it by ECHGF. She's going to give me that look, but whatever. She already shot down Jazeera and that didn't stop me from putting it on my short list.

OMG OMG OMG. I hope she doesn't hate it. It would make me so happy if you named your little spawn Walter! And Wally is a totally awesome nickname.

East Coast Hustle

She actually liked it. It's on the short list. :lulz: