News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Well, that's gonna put a fucking damper on things

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 20, 2011, 08:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 24, 2011, 04:57:36 AM
First of all, I don't think PDX counts as a "halfway self-respecting metro area". Barely 2 million people, and a quarter of them live in Clark County. Some of them even live in Gresham.

And I've lived in alot of places and a fair number of big cities. Portland has the worst cops I've seen outside of San Juan and St. Thomas.

169% Truth
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 24, 2011, 03:06:38 AM
If I decided to be a cop, I'd HAVE to move. I don't have it in me to be a PDX cop.

ECH,
won't shoot unarmed black men, crazy homeless people, or teenage girls without a halfway decent reason

Yeah um, this is not the place to be a cop or work for the city if you're a decent person.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

You're an Island kid, right?  and you're a water rat.  I'd suggest Commercial Diving, and learn Hyperbaric welding underwater.  It's a niche skill that has pretty high demand, allows you to stay on boats and on the water, and if you learn a bit about structural engineering and get some equipment that can produce thermal scans of things like a bridge support to identify cracks and damage, I know for a fact that there's only a hand full of companies nation wide that contract to inspect the underwater supports of bridges (train mostly) and if in need of repair, send a diver down with some steel plate and repair it.  The guy I was working for learning how to do this ran his own two man shop and pulled it in hand over fist.  I'd still be doing it if I didn't get a better offer.  It's still my fall back should this ever get stale, as I love boats and diving and really miss being on and in the water.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

LMNO

navkat

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 24, 2011, 12:09:45 PM
You're an Island kid, right?  and you're a water rat.  I'd suggest Commercial Diving, and learn Hyperbaric welding underwater.  It's a niche skill that has pretty high demand, allows you to stay on boats and on the water, and if you learn a bit about structural engineering and get some equipment that can produce thermal scans of things like a bridge support to identify cracks and damage, I know for a fact that there's only a hand full of companies nation wide that contract to inspect the underwater supports of bridges (train mostly) and if in need of repair, send a diver down with some steel plate and repair it.  The guy I was working for learning how to do this ran his own two man shop and pulled it in hand over fist.  I'd still be doing it if I didn't get a better offer.  It's still my fall back should this ever get stale, as I love boats and diving and really miss being on and in the water.

What? NO!

Diving is not a life-long career unless you relish brain damage and an early death.

AFK

I think it can be a job that tends to put you under a lot of pressure.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: navkat on March 24, 2011, 12:35:24 PM

What? NO!

Diving is not a life-long career unless you relish brain damage and an early death.

when diving safely and correctly, not ascending too quickly, proper gas mixture, etc. there is little to no risk over a divers lifetime.  It's when divers get the bends that brain damage can occur.  You only get the bends if you're not doing it right.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

navkat

Agreed.

However, I was in the Navy. I dated a lot of frogmen.SEALs, My best friend was a pro diver. I live in an area of the country where about 20% of the employed men are commercial divers for the Merchant Marines/Oil Industry. Shit happens. Regularly.

The point is: you're relying on too many human factors and too many mistakes. Improperly mixed oxygen lines, impatient Captains, poor safety/OSHA/Coast Guard adherence...it all equates to carbonated blood, days off work, teeth that go explodey in your mouf. It's a rough life that's rough on your body and most divers will tell you that eventually, they're gonna have to find something else to do because your days are numbered as a diver.

Am I wrong?

Disco Pickle

Quote from: navkat on March 24, 2011, 12:52:33 PM
Agreed.

However, I was in the Navy. I dated a lot of frogmen.SEALs, My best friend was a pro diver. I live in an area of the country where about 20% of the employed men are commercial divers for the Merchant Marines/Oil Industry. Shit happens. Regularly.

The point is: you're relying on too many human factors and too many mistakes. Improperly mixed oxygen lines, impatient Captains, poor safety/OSHA/Coast Guard adherence...it all equates to carbonated blood, days off work, teeth that go explodey in your mouf. It's a rough life that's rough on your body and most divers will tell you that eventually, they're gonna have to find something else to do because your days are numbered as a diver.

Am I wrong?

nope, all those things do occur, likely way more often than is even necessary.  The good news is, after Bluewater Horizon, the coast guard is coming down a lot harder on all vessels on the water to stay in compliance with safety regulations.  It's still always going to really be on the diver to see that his safety comes first.  Only dive with a captain you can trust, run your own lines, watch your own time below the surface and know your shit when it comes to getting the nitrogen out of your blood safely.

And if you're running your own shop, there's no excuse to not be covering your own ass and only diving with a captain that knows what the fucking risks are of not doing it right. 

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 24, 2011, 03:06:38 AM
If I decided to be a cop, I'd HAVE to move. I don't have it in me to be a PDX cop.

ECH,
won't shoot unarmed black men, crazy homeless people, or teenage girls without a halfway decent reason

:cry:

But that means St. Louis is not an option....

:cry:

The Good Reverend Roger

Doesn't matter.  ECH is still gonna be a chef.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

East Coast Hustle

That's actually a hell of an idea.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

What? NO!

I feel like I should point out that I have an almost pathological disregard for my own physical safety. Not out of some retarded sense of machismo, just because that's the way I'm wired.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 24, 2011, 04:40:14 PM

well then, working with electricity, underwater, while breathing compressed gas sounds like just your thing.  If you can practice and get good at laying down a nice, clean weld, and get a few good jobs under your belt, the salary you can command is pretty fucking enticing.
What? NO!

I feel like I should point out that I have an almost pathological disregard for my own physical safety. Not out of some retarded sense of machismo, just because that's the way I'm wired.