News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

I now have a 12 qt. slow cooker

Started by Kai, October 16, 2008, 05:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

AKA a pot of crock. My parents keep sending these kitchen appliances. I think it is a hint I need to eat more. I am grateful, its a rather cool beast.

However, I don't have the slightest clue what I should cook in it. I know the general stuff that can be cooked in it, but I don't know what to make.

Ideas?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

trippinprincezz13

Beef stew.
Corned beef & cabbage.
Pasta sauce.
Probably chile though I usually just do it in a large pot.

There are infinite more ideas, many that I want to try but that's all I have done so far in mine. Mainly because we need a new one. Maybe slightly bigger than what we have, plus the one we have is old and only had Low and High (or should I say "Lo" and "Hi") settings and the Low is still to high to leave something cooking all day or staying just warm without potentially overcooking.

Snoop around. There are entire books and websites dedicated to crockpot cooking. I am interested in hearing other's ideas though. Although I know you can cook roasts, shredded pork, etc., ribs, and billions of other things, I haven't gotten to try much and I love crockpots.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Jasper

Kai, you can throw a bunch of whole chicken thighs in it overnight with herbs and spices.

Then take the bones, skin, and cartilage out.

Cook it down even further.

Add things to it.  Veggies, whatever pleases.  I like to saute tomatoes and basil, throw those in, then saute some finely minced onions in the tomato/basil fond with some butter.  Throw that in.

Eat like a god, or royalty of some sort.

Kai

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on October 16, 2008, 05:57:20 PM
Beef stew.
Corned beef & cabbage.
Pasta sauce.
Probably chile though I usually just do it in a large pot.

There are infinite more ideas, many that I want to try but that's all I have done so far in mine. Mainly because we need a new one. Maybe slightly bigger than what we have, plus the one we have is old and only had Low and High (or should I say "Lo" and "Hi") settings and the Low is still to high to leave something cooking all day or staying just warm without potentially overcooking.

Snoop around. There are entire books and websites dedicated to crockpot cooking. I am interested in hearing other's ideas though. Although I know you can cook roasts, shredded pork, etc., ribs, and billions of other things, I haven't gotten to try much and I love crockpots.

This one is big enough that I could cook a chicken in it. Not a huge chicken, but still a chicken. And it has a keep warm setting.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

Quote from: Felix on October 16, 2008, 06:05:41 PM
Kai, you can throw a bunch of whole chicken thighs in it overnight with herbs and spices.

Then take the bones, skin, and cartilage out.

Cook it down even further.

Add things to it.  Veggies, whatever pleases.  I like to saute tomatoes and basil, throw those in, then saute some finely minced onions in the tomato/basil fond with some butter.  Throw that in.

Eat like a god, or royalty of some sort.

I guess with the size of this thing, I could potentially cook in bulk and save money and time cooking, eat for several days.

AFK

Second Felix's suggestion.  I recommend thyme.  thyme and chicken are yummy.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

And I strongly recommend thighs for anything slow cooked.  They're cheaper and better tasting.

Oh, PROTIP:

Refrigerate anything slow cooked overnight, then remove the fat on top.  Otherwise your soup will have a fat layer on top that makes it hard to eat.

But, if you wanted to gain weight...

Jenne

You can do everything from cake to soups to stews...pulled pork...shit, you can do anything in a crockpot...sky's the limit, Kai.

Jasper

Kai

Quote from: Felix on October 16, 2008, 06:09:58 PM
And I strongly recommend thighs for anything slow cooked.  They're cheaper and better tasting.

Oh, PROTIP:

Refrigerate anything slow cooked overnight, then remove the fat on top.  Otherwise your soup will have a fat layer on top that makes it hard to eat.

But, if you wanted to gain weight...

Fat is good. Reminder: I am underweight, and its mostly due to sporatic eating.

Thanks though. Any more advice that anyone has is welcome welcome.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Kai on October 16, 2008, 06:06:16 PM
This one is big enough that I could cook a chicken in it. Not a huge chicken, but still a chicken. And it has a keep warm setting.

Lucky  :sad: I could probably fit one cornish hen in mine but that's about it.

I know what I'm asking santa for Christmas this year! lol
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Jenne

Quote from: Felix on October 16, 2008, 06:12:06 PM
Wait, cakes?

Yes...I've had a chocolate crockpot cake that is to die for.  Melty goodness.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Crockpots RULE!

You can make a killer pork roast with carrots and potatoes in that thing, too. Also, beans... my favorite are pintos!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Quote from: Jenne on October 16, 2008, 06:13:56 PM
Wait, cakes?

Link or post reciple plzzzzzzzzz

...zzz.

Jenne

Quote from: Felix on October 16, 2008, 06:15:34 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 16, 2008, 06:13:56 PM
Wait, cakes?

Link or post reciple plzzzzzzzzz

...zzz.

Righteo--one moment while I look for it...

This is a banana one I found--sounds great:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/slow-cooker-banana-upside-down-cake-recipe2/index.html

And here's the chocolate cake I've had:

QuoteThis fabulous, decadent chocolate pudding cake is made in your crockpot.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours,
Ingredients:
1 pkg. two layer chocolate cake mix
3 oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup water
2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
Preparation:
Spray a 4 quart crockpot with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and pudding mix. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the water, then add the sour cream and oil and beat until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour into crockpot. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until top springs back when touched very lightly with finger. 8-10 servings