News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Al Jazeera America

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, August 28, 2013, 06:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, Al Jazeera America launched just a couple days ago and I wanted to know how you spags feel about it.

I had never heard of Al Jazeera before the nonsense about them airing the Bin Laden tapes and falling for the "STARTS WITH AL, MUST BE TURRIST" meme. While I managed to step back from that bad signal early on, I didn't pay any attention to the network until the Arab Spring, because they were the only ones covering it in any sensible way. Now that it's available, it's overtaken CNN as the default background noise and I'm super enthusiastic about the switch. The selection of what to cover has been much more in line with what I think is worth talking about, there's no screaming matches between two arbitrarily selected representatives of opposing view points, and the reporting is pretty solid.

Cain

-

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2013, 06:53:18 PM
Al-Jazeera English seems to have superior coverage, and there have been some credible accusations of plaigarism.

Do the networks have the kind of relationship where it would be plagiarism and not sharing the load?

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

-

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2013, 07:13:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 28, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
Plagarism how, exactly?

Took a Reuters article and published the first paragraph almost word for word without attribution.

Oh, sorry. The way you worded it originally my brain went to "plagiarized Al Jazeera English" which just sounded weird.

Cain

-

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2013, 07:13:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 28, 2013, 07:09:19 PM
Plagarism how, exactly?

Took a Reuters article and published the first paragraph almost word for word without attribution.

Well, that's not cool.