News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

When Things Go Horribly Wrong

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 09, 2012, 10:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

EDIT:  I posted the above before I gained a clear understanding of the situation.  The specific example is retracted.

It is impossible to have any form of relationship with another human without ceding some form of control to that person.  This applies if you're partners, friends, enemies, whatever.  You can't avoid this without becoming a hermit.

Most important would be the relationship you have with your friends, as you cede more control to them than anyone else.  The problem occurs when the friend starts to enjoy that control more than they enjoy you as a person.  At that point, the relationship becomes unhealthy.  If allowed to continue, it becomes ALL about control.  You become their drug.  You become something they can punch around a bit when they've had a bad day.

The tendency is to maintain the friendship despite that sort of thing, because who doesn't value their friends?  And who wants to walk away from years of friendship?  Nobody, of course, which causes people to hang around in seriously dysfunctional relationships.  This is usually not harmful, but eventually it will lead to a disaster, when the friend decides to play control games while something important is happening.

Obviously, I'm talking about what just happened between Nigel, Alty, and I...But I think the observation was worth writing down as a general statement.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Interesting point:  When someone picks up an ism, all of their available control over you will be bent towards making you blindly accept their ism.  This even works for a time, at least with me.  Then when everything goes in the shitter, you say to yourself "What the FUCK was I thinking?  I just spent 2 months trying to squeeze my hairy ass into someone else's uniform."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

tyrannosaurus vex

This is all correct. It's also better to break off the relationship when it's freshly dysfunctional than to wait until it's metastasised and it takes a Doomsday Weapon to end it.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on September 09, 2012, 10:50:06 PM
This is all correct. It's also better to break off the relationship when it's freshly dysfunctional than to wait until it's metastasised and it takes a Doomsday Weapon to end it.

Apparently, that was taken care of for me.  In any case, live and learn, collect some scars, get back upright, and think about today instead of yesterday.

Freeky

It's upsetting and anger-fying when that happens.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 10, 2012, 12:16:28 AM
It's upsetting and anger-fying when that happens.

Yeah, but the train has left the station.  There's no reason to keep running, is there?

Freeky

Definitely not, but do you stick around for the next train or take a taxi?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 10, 2012, 12:18:53 AM
Definitely not, but do you stick around for the next train or take a taxi?

There'll be other trains.

Freeky

Nephew Twiddleton

Im still not exctly sure what happened. A bit of a head scratcher.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on September 10, 2012, 12:24:24 AM
Im still not exctly sure what happened. A bit of a head scratcher.

It's just The Future, doing what it does.  Nothing you'd want to get your sleeve caught in.

Nephew Twiddleton

Gotcha. I suppose this is what happens when im not caught up on particular threads (or real life for that matter). Something happens and i just have to say to myself "i have no clue what just happened."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on September 10, 2012, 12:31:45 AM
Gotcha. I suppose this is what happens when im not caught up on particular threads (or real life for that matter). Something happens and i just have to say to myself "i have no clue what just happened."

I was there and I'm not sure what happened.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I was there and I don't even know what to say.

Fuck.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bu🤠ns

I only caught a small bit of it, I think.  Drawing on my past, though, I've had instances where friends of mine have gotten to a point in their lives where they just needed a good freak out and some cool down time mainly due to a variety of life circumstances manifesting all at once.  I'm not saying this is what happened but rather offer an objective alternative. 

On the other hand, I've rightly dissolved friendships where I ended up being subject of abuse.  I'm not saying this is what happened either as there's no way I could know,  but just wanted to keep it even.