News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Steampunk Corset - Prototype B

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, November 03, 2008, 09:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Monk

I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BADGE OF HONOR

It kind of looks more like armor than a corset, you might want to work on that for mk. III.   :wink:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

The Dark Monk

NO! WE MUST CRUSADE! SQUIRES, MY ARMOR AND SWORD!
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 05, 2008, 12:12:47 AM
It kind of looks more like armor than a corset, you might want to work on that for mk. III.   :wink:

We intended it to look more armor-ish, a ray gun goes with the full outfit ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

BADGE OF HONOR

In that case don't call it a corset!  Any victorian would be appalled at the shapelessness of that garment!   :argh!:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 05, 2008, 09:32:55 AM
In that case don't call it a corset!  Any victorian would be appalled at the shapelessness of that garment!   :argh!:

hahaha i was coming in here to post that it needed to give her a womanly-er shape

its nifty, but kinda looks like an iron barrel around her!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Frederieke Noodle on November 05, 2008, 09:36:45 AM
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 05, 2008, 09:32:55 AM

hahaha i was coming in here to post that it needed to give her a womanly-er shape

its nifty, but kinda looks like an iron barrel around her!

Yes, yes... the next version will have a better curve, but we might have to make every other panel out of leather to get it to work that way. I have a couple ideas that we're looking at, which would require that the pieces be cut somewhat differently than before.

The problem is that ya got to bend the metal in three ways and it doesn't like it much ;-)

BADGE OF HONOR

I think you just got to cut it more...shapelier.  The brass panels aren't shaped very much like corset panels.  Corsets get their shapes from stays, sewn in specific positions, but you have to go the other way around and make the shape with the panels.  How thick is it?  Can you form a shape by rolling a heavy thing over it?  Or are you hammering it?

Suu

The trick is, after talking with Rat and Sjaantze, is that the brass CAN'T take the shape of the corset pieces that easily.

1: Mostly because it was thin brass and it was buckling when they were trying to give it more shape
2: The element of boning in cloth corsets it was does the trick

So, by doing every other panel in brass and leather, they'll be able to shape the smaller pieces of brass more to be more supportive to the woman's figure.

At least that's what I figured.  :?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Suu on November 07, 2008, 04:10:23 PM
The trick is, after talking with Rat and Sjaantze, is that the brass CAN'T take the shape of the corset pieces that easily.

1: Mostly because it was thin brass and it was buckling when they were trying to give it more shape

So, by doing every other panel in brass and leather, they'll be able to shape the smaller pieces of brass more to be more supportive to the woman's figure.

Yep, the brass pieces will probably be half or a third of what they are in the pictures, with same width leather to hold them together... I think then we can reshape the pieces in a more hourglass fashion. Probably we should call this a brass bodice ;-)

Richter

Try copper roofing nails instead of rivets. Much easier to peen!
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Richter on November 16, 2008, 05:28:16 PM
Try copper roofing nails instead of rivets. Much easier to peen!

Suu

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 07, 2008, 04:18:39 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 07, 2008, 04:10:23 PM

Yep, the brass pieces will probably be half or a third of what they are in the pictures, with same width leather to hold them together... I think then we can reshape the pieces in a more hourglass fashion. Probably we should call this a brass bodice ;-)

Naturally.

Bodice is a modern term for supportive outerwear
Bodys/Stays/Corset = Supportive underwear
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."