News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

And now Kansas is getting into the act

Started by LMNO, February 13, 2014, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

New bill passes house, will allow any individual, group, or private business to refuse to serve gay couples if "it would be contrary to their sincerely held religious beliefs." 

Bill can be found here.

This isn't one of those "whip up fury, then die in committee" bills, this has passed the House 72 votes to 49, and the Senate skews hard for hate-mongering assholes.

The bill would also allow government clerks to refuse to sign same-sex marriage licenses without threat of a lawsuit.

Basically, businesses can hang up "No Fags Allowed" signs without fear of getting sued.

:dream:
          \
:teabagger1:

Reginald Ret

You are aware that the way this is worded works both ways? This is going to be hilarious! I'm imagining some civil servant refusing to marry straight people.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

So long as you can come up with a religious reason to discriminate against straights, sure.

:checks list of major religions:

:checks list of minor religions:

:checks list of irreligons:

Yeah, about that...

Cain

Faust

Quote from: :regret: on February 13, 2014, 02:10:31 PM
You are aware that the way this is worded works both ways? This is going to be hilarious! I'm imagining some civil servant refusing to marry straight people.

Sappho be praised!
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Telarus

Interestingly, a federal judge recently rules that Kentucky MUST recognize same-sex marriages performed out-of-state.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/kentucky-must-recognize-gay-marriages-from-other-states-federal-judge-rules/2014/02/12/8ec79508-9410-11e3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

Jesus doesn't even recognise those other states.  Is TAXACHUSSETTS in the Bible?  No, exactly.  Ipso facto, out of state gays should go back WHERE THEY CAME FROM (hell).

Anna Mae Bollocks

Wahoo. Jim Crow for gays.
Get me off this fucking planet.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Pergamos

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 13, 2014, 02:26:50 PM
So long as you can come up with a religious reason to discriminate against straights, sure.

:checks list of major religions:

:checks list of minor religions:

:checks list of irreligons:

Yeah, about that...

Church of Euthanasia,  it's against their religion to have children and straight marriage encourages procreation.

Cain

What part of "sincere religious conviction = Jesus" are you retards struggling with?

The Johnny

maybe somebody is struggling with the "joke" part, chill bro
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Except it's not funny.

Every single time a post about people in America using a generalised religious discrimination clause involves people looking for reasons to play along or subvert it. That's missing the point, because the point is this is never going to be applied equally or apply to all religious preferences, the intended design of these laws are to enshrine certain mainstream religious preferences over others.

For people who are meant to be smart, it sure is fucking depressing to see.

Junkenstein

This is a very good point. Remember the church of satan guy and his idea to subvert a similar fucked up law?

How far did he get?

Fucking with repressive laws tends to accomplish little. You either need mass appeal against such action (Unlikely as we're talking about the US here) or it will generally become acceptable to the popular mindset. The fact the law passed anyway indicates that it is acceptable to the general population.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2014, 09:07:39 AM
Except it's not funny.

Every single time a post about people in America using a generalised religious discrimination clause involves people looking for reasons to play along or subvert it. That's missing the point, because the point is this is never going to be applied equally or apply to all religious preferences, the intended design of these laws are to enshrine certain mainstream religious preferences over others.

For people who are meant to be smart, it sure is fucking depressing to see.
I gave up hope of improving anything about this fucked up world.
All I do now is laugh when someone gets hurt or is going to get hurt and try to find ways to hurt people within this new system.
It is not sane but it is all i have left.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Not to mention that if someone from the Church of Euthenasia (if Korda is even still doing that) tried to "subvert" the law, they'd have to bring a suit against the state, and keep appealing all the way up to the Supreme Court, and then win.

Which, when I do a rough probability estimate, no one who really believes in the Four Pillars of "Suicide, Abortion, Cannabalism, and Sodomy" could ever afford to do, or even be taken seriously in a court of law.