News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Do you tell others about your philosophy or 'let sleeping dogs lie'?

Started by zackli, July 20, 2014, 10:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on August 07, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on August 01, 2014, 06:40:10 AM
I remember reading some comics artist from the UK used them extensively.  Then in Eugene once, reveling with bass mutants, I met this cat said he tried to constantly visualize a rather large mandala/sigil around him in space/time.  Blew my mind :?
Frankly, my mind would have been blown when the cat started talking to me

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on August 07, 2014, 03:58:04 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on August 07, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
I remember reading some comics artist from the UK used them extensively.  Then in Eugene once, reveling with bass mutants, I met this cat said he tried to constantly visualize a rather large mandala/sigil around him in space/time.  Blew my mind :?
Frankly, my mind would have been blown when the cat started talking to me
True, it would seem the mutant's argot and vernacular is not an actual human language.  Hardly all that approachable. The cat was clearly not one of them, silly :lulz: 

Slyph

I'm too ignorant to have a coherent philosophy, so I don't really talk about what *I* believe a whole lot.

One of my favorite things to do though, is to talk *about* philosophy, especially with people who've never encountered Any.

People LOVE the Trolley Problem!

outoftheloop

I tend to fuck around with people a lot. I find that it's a very useful filter. As in: when you tell a person a bunch of nonsense you can learn a lot about the person by the way in which they reply.

Kind Regards.
innit safe, fam?

minuspace

Coherence actually improved when the collimating lens was removed.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: outoftheloop on December 12, 2014, 04:48:17 AM
I tend to fuck around with people a lot. I find that it's a very useful filter. As in: when you tell a person a bunch of nonsense you can learn a lot about the person by the way in which they reply.

Kind Regards.

I'll keep that in mind.
Molon Lube

QueenThera

Grant Morrison would probably be the one you mean, though I think he mostly deals in writing. He wrote an essay on how to do sigils, and had his fanbase engage in activating a sigil to boost comics sales for the Invisibles.

There's also Alan Moore who talks a good deal about magick and does a lot, or so he says. His Promethea series goes into it, and discusses Austin Osman Spare and his sigils.
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Ⅎuᴉzz

Not really. Eyes tend to glaze over if you start talking about this stuff to most people.
This is not my signature. I told you to stop following me.

Is it still here? Fuck.

Hm.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ⅎuᴉzz on February 17, 2015, 06:07:51 PM
Not really. Eyes tend to glaze over if you start talking about this stuff to most people.

This is the correct motorcycle.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

I dont tend to discuss this with my family, as they sort of dismissed this as juvenile rebellion back when I picked up the PD back in high school. Though now that this thread has bumped, I'm curious: does anyone else have their own little metaphors for how their Discordia makes sense to yourself? For myself, I once tried describing my discordia to another Discordian ( a very odd man on selling buttons and artwork on venice beach) and he called  it a sort of Chaos Buddhism. I dunno why, but that just felt right. Black Iron Prison equals Samsara, Chaos equals Void, etc.Does anyone else have a thing like that, or am I just weird?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Vanadium Gryllz

I don't feel like I really even have a personal philosophy right now. That's kind of what draws me to keep coming back here even on a mostly-lurker basis. I enjoy reading all the thoughts that you guys spew and trying to assimilate them into my own personal worldview.

Coupled with:

Quote from: Ⅎuᴉzz on February 17, 2015, 06:07:51 PM

Makes for real-life philosophising a rarity.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Eater of Clowns

I just reply to casual conversation with deep and mysterious phrases like "everything happens for no reason" and "the only driving force in our rudderless world is the sweet Chaos."

"You're so interesting," people say, and, "can you finish that clove cigarette outside?"
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 18, 2015, 01:31:03 PM
I just reply to casual conversation with deep and mysterious phrases like "everything happens for no reason" and "the only driving force in our rudderless world is the sweet Chaos."

"You're so interesting," people say, and, "can you finish that clove cigarette outside?"

:lulz:

The Wizard Joseph

And so Anomos stood leaning casually against the statue of Plato tossing a rock in the air and catching it with the same hand over and over. To the close observer it could be noted that he never put quite the same spin on it twice at he tossed it up and caught it over and over. No, what mattered was that he had a whole sack of rocks, and easy cover behind Plato if needed.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Billiam Poster

Sleeping Dogs don't Lie, (Sort o like territorial pissings) going back to the original post just thought i'd leave my mark!
Joseph K.: I don't pretend to be a martyr, no.
Hastler: Not even a victim of society?
Joseph K.: I am a member of society.
Hastler: Do you think you can persuade the court that you're not responsible by reason of lunacy?
Joseph K.: I think that's what the court wants me to believe. Yes, that's the conspiracy: to persuade us all that the whole world is crazy, formless, meaningless, absurd. That's the dirty game. So I've lost my case. What of it? You, you're losing too. It's all lost, lost. So what? Does that sentence the entire universe to lunacy?