News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

5-fingered hand of Eris smiley face

Started by PeregrineBF, February 17, 2010, 06:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeregrineBF

So, most of us here have gone beyond the Principia and tend to ignore it. That's fine, the jokes are all old by now anyway. I saw the "5-fingered hand of Eris" (pg 28) and imagined it as three mouths, one happy, one neutral, one sad.

Eris loves you. Eris hates you. Eris doesn't give a fuck about you.

Use it or not, improve it or not, it's a quick easy symbol to draw.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

PeregrineBF

Thanks. Took all of a minute to make in Inkscape. But sometimes the simplest things can be the most effective, like the one-sentence meme-bombs.

PeregrineBF

My initial gut reaction is that it takes away the frown. It's just a smile and an upside-down smile with a bar in between. It's harder to see it as 2 frownies because the smile is closer to the eyes than the frown side.
I can see having some fun animating the eyes, making one get up and take a walk, etc, etc.

MMIX

Quote from: PeregrineBF on February 17, 2010, 09:13:45 AM
My initial gut reaction is that it takes away the frown. It's just a smile and an upside-down smile with a bar in between. It's harder to see it as 2 frownies because the smile is closer to the eyes than the frown side.
I can see having some fun animating the eyes, making one get up and take a walk, etc, etc.

I see what you are saying but my gut reaction is that an upside down smile is a frown almost by default - and I enjoy images where two identical objects [in this case the eyes] are used to generate two different values [in this case smiley eyes and sad eyes]

bottom line - your original image and HFLS's are two separate entities and it isn't necessary for one to be better - they would both be really powerful in the right context . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Wizard

I love this. Personally, I would do it up in the classic yellow circle. But that's just me.
Insanity we trust.

Pariah

I like it.
Would move the eyes down though
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

PeregrineBF

2 more, in yellow circles. Eyes moved down a tad.

They look like they just ate a lemon.

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Jasper

I like this idea.  Maybe it would be better if the hand of eris was a more stylized thing, instead of a thin line.

ETA:  I do like it though.  I just don't have the GIMP-fu to make it happen.

PeregrineBF

GIMP.... Heh. Seriously, try Inkscape sometime. Don't use a raster editor (GIMP) for vector graphics.

Added some style, like in the principia but not as extreme.

Jasper

Nice!

Also, GIMP is the best option I know of, I'm on ubuntu.

Triple Zero

Um, FYI, InkScape is to Adobe Illustrator what GIMP is to Photoshop.

It's just GIMP, like Photoshop, mostly works with pixels, while InkScape, like Illustrator, works with vectors. So you can design resolution-independent logos with it and easily rotate and curve and kern things.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

PeregrineBF

Pretty much what 000 said. Inkscape actually has a good UI too. You can arbitrarily scale things, which is great for this kind of stuff. Sadly the mouth is a bit too dense to show up nicely when scaled down, even with some manual tweaking.